Negativity

dayman

It is preseason .... sky is falling .... no-fun crowd is no fun .... shut up ... why are you here ... blah blah .... why watch the Bills if that is your attitude ... you are wrong these guys will play better ... coaches put players in difficult spots on purpose in preseason .... etc etc ... (there--we got that out of the way).

The bottom line that any rational Bills fan should understand (and I do believe Bills FANS should be able to be rational on this board) is that nobody in their right mind should believe this defense will be good until they see it at this point. Defensive line doesn't play the way it looks on paper consistently. LB crew is terrible. And DBs are barely a notch better than LBs.

Additionally, we have no QB at this point other than the hope that EJ will get it done. There is a strong likelihood that between the offensive line, QB situation, and WR corp....that offense will be inconsistent at best, if healthy, and terrible if even a few injuries happen.

IF....EJ ends up being awesome....we may be able to do something. IF that happens...we probably win 9 games (looking at the schedule now) and end up missing the playoffs. That would be an amazing season and I would love it if that became reality. But the best case scenario never becomes reality.

So what is the point of this topic? No point. Other than to just say that all signs point to another 5-7 win season ... which is fine b/c nobody on this board is here b/c we are front runners. But all in all ... it is time to get our heads straight since the season is about to start. No sky is falling threads once the season actually starts b/c we all know what is coming deep down. Unless EJ lifts us to the heavens (which will almost definitely not happen based on his college career) ... it is the sameoldbills.

Go Bills. Lets enjoy the season, and be happy to root for this average at best team yet again. :)

PS: Preseason means nothing ... but the players you know you have do.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As with any NFL team it comes down to the QB. If Manuel develops into a good QB the Bills will be fine and on an upward path. If he turns out to be another in a long line of scrubs the Bills have placed behind center they will continue to wallow in the lower tiers of the league.

It's not any more difficult to understand than that.

I am a homer. I think we're going to turn it around every year. I don't care how many bad years in a row. Yes it is very frustrating, not being a fan of a competitive team. But I don't care. I think it's just as rational to have hope that thing we were missing just might come to us one year. Maybe it's EJ. So I'm going to put my faith in him. I don't have to, I prefer to look at it this way instead.

The two preseason wins proved nothing. The preseason loss proved nothing.

We're probably not as good as we looked against the Colts. We're probably not as bad as we looked against the Skins. We won't find out until the regular season gets under way. I'm taking this game like any other preseason game... with a grain of salt.

It is preseason .... sky is falling .... no-fun crowd is no fun .... shut up ... why are you here ... blah blah .... why watch the Bills if that is your attitude ... you are wrong these guys will play better ... coaches put players in difficult spots on purpose in preseason .... etc etc ... (there--we got that out of the way).

The bottom line that any rational Bills fan should understand (and I do believe Bills FANS should be able to be rational on this board) is that nobody in their right mind should believe this defense will be good until they see it at this point. Defensive line doesn't play the way it looks on paper consistently. LB crew is terrible. And DBs are barely a notch better than LBs.

Additionally, we have no QB at this point other than the hope that EJ will get it done. There is a strong likelihood that between the offensive line, QB situation, and WR corp....that offense will be inconsistent at best, if healthy, and terrible if even a few injuries happen.

IF....EJ ends up being awesome....we may be able to do something. IF that happens...we probably win 9 games (looking at the schedule now) and end up missing the playoffs. That would be an amazing season and I would love it if that became reality. But the best case scenario never becomes reality.

So what is the point of this topic? No point. Other than to just say that all signs point to another 5-7 win season ... which is fine b/c nobody on this board is here b/c we are front runners. But all in all ... it is time to get our heads straight since the season is about to start. No sky is falling threads once the season actually starts b/c we all know what is coming deep down. Unless EJ lifts us to the heavens (which will almost definitely not happen based on his college career) ... it is the sameoldbills.

Go Bills. Lets enjoy the season, and be happy to root for this average at best team yet again. :)

PS: Preseason means nothing ... but the players you know you have do.

It's really any given Sunday... During the course of an NFL season countless things can happen to make one team have an advantage over it's opponent. A key player can be injured, referee may blow a call, etc.

There's no telling what each Sunday brings so we can't just say we're going to win 5 or 7 or 9 games cuz we just simply don't know. I refuse to judge this team based solely on todays performance.

Im an EJ fan until the kid shows me something that has me question him. He's yet to throw a pick, makes pretty decent decisions, has been getting better each day and according to Marrone, never makes the same mistake twice.

I WAS very disappointed in today's performance but I will reserve judgement of the team til about week 4 or week 5 in the regular season.

Oh and I do believe that Washington has a GREAT shot at winning the division this year. They seem like a very complete team. I say that based on their 2nd and 3rd string players playing lights out. If we are smart, we might take a look at some of the guys they cut in the next couple of days cuz there WILL be some good players being cut...

I am a homer. I think we're going to turn it around every year. I don't care how many bad years in a row. Yes it is very frustrating, not being a fan of a competitive team. But I don't care. I think it's just as rational to have hope that thing we were missing just might come to us one year. Maybe it's EJ. So I'm going to put my faith in him. I don't have to, I prefer to look at it this way instead.

I agree with you completely. Optimism is cheap and plentiful, and helps keep a bounce in your step. Negativity and complaining is just a really lame way to go through life, and few people want to hang out with people like that to begin with.

I was optimistic after reading some of the hype put out by the Bills and by those who watched them at camp. That all evaporated.

Hated the drafting of Graham. Hate it more, now.

Very disappointed in how Alonso looks so far.

Wondering if Hughes will turn into Maybin 2.0

Wannstedt was not the problem. He played vanilla because vanilla looks like it may have been the best optiin.

How can a team go so many seasons without an excellent linebacker?

How many players would hurt this team if they got hurt? Spiller has a decent backup and RB is the most overrated position on the field.Having a great RB means nothing in the standings.

Gilmore would hurt. Maybe a couple guys on the D line. SJ. EJ, even though we have no idea what he is.

All that said, they have an outside chance at .500 because the NFL is a game of attrition, so if you get luckier than the other guy with injuries you can still compete.

I was optimistic after reading some of the hype put out by the Bills and by those who watched them at camp. That all evaporated.

Hated the drafting of Graham. Hate it more, now.

Very disappointed in how Alonso looks so far.

Wondering if Hughes will turn into Maybin 2.0

Wannstedt was not the problem. He played vanilla because vanilla looks like it may have been the best optiin.

How can a team go so many seasons without an excellent linebacker?

How many players would hurt this team if they got hurt? Spiller has a decent backup and RB is the most overrated position on the field.Having a great RB means nothing in the standings.

Gilmore would hurt. Maybe a couple guys on the D line. SJ. EJ, even though we have no idea what he is.

All that said, they have an outside chance at .500 because the NFL is a game of attrition, so if you get luckier than the other guy with injuries you can still compete.

You have to be trolling here. Some of those points are absolutely ridiculous.

"They were who we thought they were." I just love that quote from Dennis Green.

Has any Bills play so far this summer surprised you? Honestly? Fred Jackson looks slow. The o-line is not opening holes for the backs. The d-line is not getting enough pressure. Etc. All of this and more comes as no surprise to me.

So what's my point? We pretty much know what we have with the players. I'm interested in what the coaches are going to look like during a regular season game. Chan Gailey would wuss out when it came to going for it on 4th down or kicking a 50yd field goal. The DC would go to a prevent defense to try and preserve a lead. Bleck! I want to see how Marrone & Co. call their game when it counts.

Which points are ridiculous? If you want to make a sweeping declaration you could at least offer up something specific. I believe everything I posted in that comment. Refute whatever you think is ridiculous.

Perhaps you believe that RB is incredibly important and you could point out how the best teams depend on great running backs. That was true before the NFL became a pass first and run as an afterthought business.

Great running backs don't equal success. Great quarterbacks do. Having a great D matters, especially a great pass rush. The Giants have demonstrated that repeatedly.

Or maybe you believe taking Graham was a good pick.

Or maybe you think Posluszny was a great linebacker.

The two preseason wins proved nothing. The preseason loss proved nothing.

We're probably not as good as we looked against the Colts. We're probably not as bad as we looked against the Skins. We won't find out until the regular season gets under way. I'm taking this game like any other preseason game... with a grain of salt.

Makes the decisions on who to cut easier for sure. A little adversity will call out the players you don't want on your team. Lets hope those bad players revealed themselves last night. This could be the best thing that has happened this preseason. Plus Manny Lawson, Kiko A. and Larry Hughes look like real ballers to me. Best LB crew we've had since mid 2000's

I just think the team was gassed from the opening kickoff. It was a grueling training camp and they were on the road. They just did not have much gas in their tanks yesterday... or so I hope

We were sloppy everywhere, and obvioulsy the coahces are trying new stuff to see how it works and how players react as well.

At some point the personnel on the DL need to be questioned. With all the supposed talent there, I would think they could stop the run, which no Bills defense has done in almost forever. And regardless of it being pre-season, the Pat White/Rex Grossman trio should not be beating you through the air like that.

This will be a season of growing pains and that's precisely what happens when you have so many rookie or 2nd year players starting like Buffalo has. But what's more concerning is the DL should be a strength and yesterday it wasn't. I guess I should apologize in advance for my negativity.

I was very high on our team before the game. Head coaching and QBs rule the roost in the nfl. I think we have 2 good ones. Finally. We are headed in the right direction. The black cloud that is currently over my head regarding this team, is Stephon Gilmores wrist injury. I think, if he misses significant time, we could lose the majority of the games, if not all of the games he misses. He is THAT important to this defense. Our other CBs cannot be counted on as of now. Our defense will most likely get decimated. I'm still extremely excited about our team, but its evident that we need to draft a CB #1 next year. While I really think brooks can be a solid nickel CB, we need to upgrade our #2. I love Leo, but I'm not so he can be "the guy" opposite Gilmore.

Lets just hope and pray that Gilmores injury doesn't require him to miss any time. Game 1 could get ugly without him.

A lot of posters come here solely to vent. They have to make sure that others feel their frustration.

I just think the team was gassed from the opening kickoff. It was a grueling training camp and they were on the road. They just did not have much gas in their tanks yesterday... or so I hope We were sloppy everywhere, and obvioulsy the coahces are trying new stuff to see how it works and how players react as well.

I was disappointed with their play yesterday but this is my theory too.

The team looked overworked and they just broke camp on Wednesday. They had an off day on Thursday to move and it was just one of those games (which happen to all teams) where the team wasn't sharp for a variety of reasons.

They're not robots.

I remember thinking on that one play where Helu fumbled and the ball bounced right back into his hands "this is just one of those days."

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

What was obvious in watching this game is that the Skins were demonstrably better on both sides of the ball. Because the Skins were not playing their first or second string qbs this game showcased how much better their overall roster was compared to our roster.

Mike Shanahan started at the same time that Buddy Nix did. He, as did Nix, needed to do a major over-haul of their respective inherited rosters. Both GMs (Shanahan runs the football operation) through the draft and free agency implemented their individual philosophies. One has to ask how did the Skins have such a quick turn around while the Bills continue on to their circular road to mediocrity? The answer is obvious, at least to me. Shanahan's staff has done a marvelous job in maximizing their draft picks, from top to bottom, and they have done a good job in bringing mid-level free agent pickups who contribute. They simply do a better job in evaluating players to fit their system.

It's not that Shanahan makes great picks who disproportionately become stars. That is not the case. He has a high rate of success of drafting players and picking up free agents who contribute to the roster. What is most impressive with Shanahan's turnaround is that he had to assemble a roster while his franchise was being penalized with a $36 M cap hit, enforced over the past two years.In addition, he gave up a number of draft picks in order to draft RGIII. He salvaged some picks last year by trading down a couple of times and will probably do the same in order to recoup some of the lost picks.

My take on the Bills situation is not dismay. It is that if you know what you are doing you can turn things around in relatively short order. I like the EJ pick and I like just as much the trading down and getting the additonal pick that resulted in Kiko. That simple smart trade down maneuver hasn't happened too often with this franchise. If EJ turns out to be a franchise qb and if this draft class turns out to be a good draft class then those are positive signs that indicate that this franchise has the capacity to build the roster the right way.

It simply going to take time and patience. There is no other option.

Edited by JohnC

A lot of posters come here solely to vent. They have to make sure that others feel their frustration.

The team looked overworked and they just broke camp on Wednesday. They had an off day on Thursday to move and it was just one of those games (which happen to all teams) where the team wasn't sharp for a variety of reasons.

They're not robots.

I remember thinking on that one play where Helu fumbled and the ball bounced right back into his hands "this is just one of those days."

I think this theory is also exemplified by the rash of injuries they suffered.

It was one of those train wreck games which happen to every team once every great while. One of those games where the things you can't control heavily overpower those things you can control.

Unless EJ lifts us to the heavens (which will almost definitely not happen based on his college career) ... it is the sameoldbills.

EJ Manuel was 4-0 in bowl games, 60% plus passer and won most his games, what in the hell are you talking about.

They're not robots.

I have a different theory. The quick pace offense has some inherit strengths and weaknesses. The major risk with that fast paced offense is that if you don't get enough first downs, and have too many three and out series, you are putting your defense in jeopardy by having them too exhausted. I don't have the stats on hand but I'm sure that the Skins ran a lot more plays than the Bills. The major differential in plays can make a difference on performance.

Edited by JohnC

They're not robots.

Buffalo broke camp. Oh, that explains their performance. Good theory. Didn't every other NFL team just experience camp?

If Helu's fumble had gone to Buffalo do you really believe it would have made a difference?

Hopefully their first draft and moves bear fruit. Unti then, yeah, I'm frustrated.

Buffalo is without a real QB unless Manuel is that. We don't know yet either way. If he isn't, we will be seeing a dropoff from the days of Fitz.

Hopefully Manuel is the real deal. Then the team is headed in the right direction. If he isn't, my post will be considered great optimism a few weeks into the season. No one here knows how Manuel will turn out.

Yeah, I'm frustrated. How many years of inept management before you get frustrated. As of this moment they are the worst run franchise in the league. I understand that the new group will need time to make their mark, but that could take three years or so, before all the rubbish is tossed.

The Bills have obvious holes at CB and left guard. The linebackers are either unproven or looking for a second chance to show that they are not busts. The QB situation is poor, but not with out hope, although it is unrealistic to think that EJ can play like Luck or RGIII in his first year, particularly after missing training camp time with an injury. The wide receivers are young, but with potential. Putting all of this together, the only way that this team will have an improved record this year will be if the coaching is superior to previous years. We need to hope this is the case.

AND it's disgusting he uses 'Kemp' as his moniker.

Pretty funny stuff since he's a relative. Sorry for your disgust.

If you want comments that play like shills for the team, you should start a site called "Buffalo Bills, Rainbows, and Lollipops".

Then everyone could post things only related to bad bounces and bad calls and injuries to explain away poor management and execution.

By the way, which points were ridiculous?

Edited by Kemp

I have a different theory. The quick pace offense has some inherit strengths and weaknesses. The major risk with that fast paced offense is that if you don't get enough first downs, and have too many three and out series, you are putting your defense in jeopardy by having them too exhausted. I don't have the stats on hand but I'm sure that the Skins ran a lot more plays than the Bills. The major differential in plays can make a difference on performance.

John, are you channeling Joe Theismann?

:)

If we're going to debunk my theory that it was just one of those days and look for something more concrete, I would say that the Bills quarterbacking yesterday sucked and that the effect of the sucky quarterbacking had a big impact on the rest of the team.

From the very beginning of the game the defense played poorly too so whatever it was that was afflicting the offense was afflicting the defense too.

Kolb sucked and then Tuel sucked. That sack that Tuel took was equivalent to Rob Johnson running out of bounds for a 5 yard loss instead of throwing the ball away. It reeked of a guy who's played QB his whole life not understanding the position of quarterback.

The team was not gonna win yesterday. It was only a matter of how much they were gonna lose by, IMO.

They are gonna bounce back. If a team is gonna blow up in a game like Buffalo did yesterday, where better to do it than in a pre-season game ?

They played far below their level of talent yesterday on all three teams.

But.....I'm not ready to pack it in just yet. Especially after just one pre-season game. Hopefully it will serve as a wake-up call.

We're gonna bounce back. Yes they will have more blow-up games. Most teams do. If they learn from them ....all the better.

If they destroy Detroit next week everyone will be saying....PLAYOFFS !! LOL !

I just think the team was gassed from the opening kickoff. It was a grueling training camp and they were on the road. They just did not have much gas in their tanks yesterday... or so I hope

We were sloppy everywhere, and obvioulsy the coahces are trying new stuff to see how it works and how players react as well.

This is as good an explanation as any. The entire team was flat it seemed. Fatigue was evident as guys were a half step slow and/or reluctant to make that last effort to make a play. Just looked like a different team. There's days like that and every team experiences them at one point or another. I'm hoping Marrone and Co. can use this game going forward. Just may be the best thing that could have happened.

GO BILLS!!!

Other than the defensive line and the offensive line, I thought they played pretty well.

i actually thought the opposite. D line was still in the backfield, but nobody in the line bakeing, or Defensive back corps wanted to tackle anyone. Tuel had time to look down field, but dumped off short passes. I will agree the o line didn't run block well.

For the doomsdayers and preseason means everything crowd.

4th in total offense (3rd in rushing, 7th in passing, 3rd in points)

7th in total defense (7th in pass, 10th in rush, 13th in PPG)

And this was AFTER last nights game.

And for the Hughes hater, he's second in the league right now with 3 sacks.

It's one game in preseason without our starting QB people, get over it.

Edited by Luka

For the doomsdayers and preseason means everything crowd.

4th in total offense (3rd in rushing, 7th in passing, 3rd in points)

7th in total defense (7th in pass, 10th in rush)

And this was AFTER last nights game.

And for the Hughes hater, he's second in the league right now with 3.

It's one game in preseason people without our starting QB, get over it.

DOOOOOMED

:D

Edited by thebandit27

I guess we could ask Belichick what he did.

:rolleyes:

Bellicheck has a QB. He has the team to actually go in without a gameplan. He has question marks like any other team.

When the pats* win pre-season games, they are level headed. When the Bills opened with 2 wins bowling over unprepared defenses.There's talk of dominating teams all year. How outstanding the rookie receivers are, on and on. yesterday everyone stunk with the D-Line being the worst. What the heck is going on there? Mario at one point standing with his hands on his hips as the play was too far away for him to even fake an effort. Saw it last year and prepared too see it again this year.

People on this board were happy and that Big tough Doug Marrone was instilling a new era, a new way of football. Them when they get torched by a 3rd and a 4th string QB, there suddenly fatigued, it was just practice, and my favorite they played a "vanilla" scheme. Well they suck at vanilla as Shanahan showed. Not a single good unit yesterday. Freud would have loved this board.