Bills bringing in Leinart, Beck for tryouts

With all the cute remarks here, I am putting a depressingly serious thought on here. This is a General Manager mistake, complicit with the head coach. WHY were there only three QB's in camp? Answer.....save a few bucks...should have been a fourth who at least knew the playbook at this point. From the coaches point of view...more reps for those left on the roster. But, both GM and coach are rookies. So, the Bills will pay for having a rookie GM and a rookie Head Coach. And they will pay big, we are now officially in the Clowney derby. These are mental errors on the part of the Bills management, we are used to that. I thought that a new QB should have been signed when Manuel went down....but, still saving bucks then. Wahley did not make the calls until after the game yesterday. To little, to late. Way to late.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this mean he'll be more durable than Kolb?

I spend much of my time in an area of WNY that is mostly swamp and flood plain. I understood why the Dolphins pulled him after the 3 series as I have often stopped my car and gotten out to either relocate or assist the turtle to the other side. I do not want that picture of an unsuccessful turtle I could have assisted stuck in my brain as I retrace my route later in the day.

With all the cute remarks here, I am putting a depressingly serious thought on here. This is a General Manager mistake, complicit with the head coach. WHY were there only three QB's in camp? Answer.....save a few bucks...should have been a fourth who at least knew the playbook at this point. From the coaches point of view...more reps for those left on the roster. But, both GM and coach are rookies. So, the Bills will pay for having a rookie GM and a rookie Head Coach. And they will pay big, we are now officially in the Clowney derby. These are mental errors on the part of the Bills management, we are used to that. I thought that a new QB should have been signed when Manuel went down....but, still saving bucks then. Wahley did not make the calls until after the game yesterday. To little, to late. Way to late.

Supposedly the new CBA limits practice time to the point where a 4th guy will limit reps for the others to the point where it might hamper a rookie's development. The Bills have TWO rookies to consider. I do not think this was a money thing as they have chosen to throw it away in other areas for less important needs and EJ's "procedure" is not likely a long term issue.

Bupkis. The number of reps a fourth string QB gets on a daily basis would never (let me repeat that, never) provide a credible option if that guy were forced into the lineup.

I spend much of my time in an area of WNY that is mostly swamp and flood plain. I understood why the Dolphins pulled him after the 3 series as I have often stopped my car and gotten out to either relocate or assist the turtle to the other side. I do not want that picture of an unsuccessful turtle I could have assisted stuck in my brain as I retrace my route later in the day.

Sounds like the Tonawanda or Iroquois WMA or Alabama Swamps.

It's good of you to assist turtles.

Even at my age if I'm walking down a sidewalk I'll step over an insect rather than on them.

I'd rather pluck a third stringer from the lingerie league.

I bet you would.

:)

I'm not blasting the FO as hard as you but after "The Slip" I did think it were strange that a fourth QB wasn't brought in. Most teams have 4 QBs early in camp.

Bupkis. The number of reps a fourth string QB gets on a daily basis would never (let me repeat that, never) provide a credible option if that guy were forced into the lineup.

This is incorrect.

What is a more credible option, 4th string QB forced to start because of injury/kitty cattery or FA off the street?

That is a rhetorical question. Don't answer.

When is Washington going to cut Pat White?

This would be a great move. Had plenty of zip on his throws last night and would actually be a better backup to EJ than Kolb and Tuel cuz he can run read option. Anyone else think the feed of the game was in slow motion when Kolb was running read option and Tasker thought CJ had ball but Kolb kept it on keeper??? Those are plays designed for QB to pick up BIG yards if play fake goes right, which it did.. EJ would have had min. a 1st down and possibly more. Kolb picked up like 4 and had huge lane that closed up slowly but had D had time to get there cuz Kolb just cant take out fast enough. Kapernick/ RG3 and Wilson were KILLING D's on that exact same play last yr.

I'd rather have a backup with read option possibilities and keep Tuel as "developmental" 3rd string QB.

Too bad Seneca Wallace got snagged. He would have been a perfect back up QB for us.

This would be a great move. Had plenty of zip on his throws last night and would actually be a better backup to EJ than Kolb and Tuel cuz he can run read option. Anyone else think the feed of the game was in slow motion when Kolb was running read option and Tasker thought CJ had ball but Kolb kept it on keeper??? Those are plays designed for QB to pick up BIG yards if play fake goes right, which it did.. EJ would have had min. a 1st down and possibly more. Kolb picked up like 4 and had huge lane that closed up slowly but had D had time to get there cuz Kolb just cant take out fast enough. Kapernick/ RG3 and Wilson were KILLING D's on that exact same play last yr.

I think Kolb was running really slowly on that play because he was in the process of pooping his football pants.

Supposedly the new CBA limits practice time to the point where a 4th guy will limit reps for the others to the point where it might hamper a rookie's development. The Bills have TWO rookies to consider. I do not think this was a money thing as they have chosen to throw it away in other areas for less important needs and EJ's "procedure" is not likely a long term issue.

And yet if that guy was healthy he would've been able to get a full share every day since the mat incident and could've been mental reps before that.

With 2 rookies, one a UDFA, and kolb, an extra vet would've been nice even if they were highly limited in reps and a likely cut

OK - is it my imagination or did that happen impossibly fast??

IE - I am now suspicious they were already looking for Kolb alternatives, and were talking to these guys BEFORE he was injured today.

Beck is pretty bad. I wouldn't cry over Leinart as a backup.

Department of Pro Personnel always maintains a list of people. That said it's depressing. After yesterday's loss I'd rather have Grossman or White.

But he's right - Fitzpatrick is one of the best backup QBs in the game. There wouldn't be this type of panic if he was still on the roster. It's also ridiculous to think that players would automatically rally around Fitzpatrick and not EJ if they were competing.

I don't think its automatic by any stretch, but I also don't think you put a rookie QB in that situation, and I don't think its a great situation for Fitzpatrick either.

Edited by BlueFire

I don't think its automatic by any stretch, but I also don't think you put a rookie QB in that situation, and I don't think its a great situation for Fitzpatrick either.

I don't understand why not. If EJ is truly a project like everyone else thinks, it's better that the Bills have a quality vet who the team will be comfortable in going with in the early part of the season. Even before he hurt his knee, Kolb was losing the battle to a very green rookie.

Suddenly the Onion article from March April isn't so funny because it rings so true. It's not the pain that Bills cut Fitzpatrick, but that they replaced him with Kolb.

if either Leinart or Beck take a single snap in any game....mark it down as a loss.

Yea but how is that different than any qb signed the last week of camp after 2 injuries. The hope is they never throw a ball outside this week in practice

Holy Crap. Has it already been that long? Look, for those of you little turdballs that are too young to remember Slim Pickens, just rent/stream/high-colonic (or whatever it is you do these days, you little cretins) two filims.

Dr. Strangelove (or How I learned to stop worrying and learned to love the Bomb);

and

Blazing Saddles

I'm the world's single biggest fan of Blazing Saddles, okay? My big movie date with Lisa (no, didn't get lucky, f-ing relax) was simply memorable in 1974 at its screening in Rochester.

But nothing - NOTHING - can beat "Dr. Strangelove".

Quick trivia question. What were the names of the nukes that were "saddled up"? Don't Google it!

He also played an awesome role in the movie 1941 and a pretty good role in the kids movie The Apple Dumpling Gang. His role in 1941, Hollis Wood, was probably the second best part of that movie.

I share the bolded concern. I was surprised and dismayed when we cut TJax. That left us with one experienced-but-fragile QB and two rookies. The fragile vet has been hurt twice since then and now we're flying in retreads who have no understanding of our offense.

I get that they wanted to give EJ more reps. But whether Jackson was in camp or not, they could have given EJ exactly the number or reps they wanted.

Why these two bums? We are starting to look like duh same old Bills. Watched the game,Searcy,Troup,Branch,.Gilmore also looked average,dropped INTand lack of effort on the TD thrown right in front of him. Played 6 yds off the receiver on the 5 yd line. It was a gimme.

Group looked below average, imo

Apparently the 49ers are actively trying to shop Colt McCoy. He's not looked good for them at all this preseason. The most they can expect is a late round draft choice, but if they have no takers, he will be cut. I think I'd almost prefer him (or possibly Harrel) to either Lineart or Beck .....

Edited by merlin

Listerning last night's game, I'm sure I heard the commentators say that, if Jeff Tuel was injured, the Bills would have to call on Brad Smith or Fred Jackson to stand in as QB. Smith I could understand - but Fred? I'm not suggesting Fred is a serous candidate but why would he be mentioned? Has he played there before?

There is currently ONE healthy QB on the roster + Brad Smith + Fred Jackson. No idea if EJ will be healthy enough to play week one. Hopeful? Yes but nobody knows. No idea how long before he can even practice. Kolb has to be done. Even if he comes back, he'll just break again. They have a preseason game and almost two weeks of practice to get through before the opener. What if Tuel gets injured Thursday? Anyone think of that? I don't think I have ever seen or heard of a team with literally 0 QB's. They absolutely have to sign one if not two QB's and it has to be done today. Trade for McCoy is a good idea, real good idea. Bring in Harrell too. Leinart or Beck? That's scary if either of those two had to actually play in a game.

Listerning last night's game, I'm sure I heard the commentators say that, if Jeff Tuel was injured, the Bills would have to call on Brad Smith or Fred Jackson to stand in as QB. Smith I could understand - but Fred? I'm not suggesting Fred is a serous candidate but why would he be mentioned? Has he played there before?

I'm pretty sure hes the only guy on the team with a perfect QB rating...

Obviously this doesn't look good for Kolb. How many concussions has he had before yesterday? Maybe this is it for him and the Bills have been advised to look for a replacement.

this is a STRONG indication they do NOT expect EJ in week #1.

Or it is an indication that they'd like to get their WRs some work the last week of pre-season, and last game of the preseason, without burning out the arm of the only healthy QB on the team... Look at the names they're bringing in. They're nothing more than warm bodies. I think the NFL would frown on rolling an actual Jugs machine onto the field Thursday, so instead they're looking to sign the equivalent.