Astro-Notes: Aug 20 Practice

Astrobot

Got there at Period 7 so as to miss the Positional Drills and stretching. There are 3 deep all along the fence will filled grandstand and a perfect night--70 degrees and not a cloud in the sky.

Period 7: FG practice. Dustin Hopkins didn't let his foot off the gas; he put 6 consecutive blasts through the uprights, later adding 6 more in a row. He missed one from 53 and one from 43.

Good news! He hit the videographer one more time and hit the platform 2 more times.

Period 8: KR practice. Goodwin was taking turns with BRad Smith. They alternated blocking teams, so Chris Gragg, Blatnick, Summers (team 1?) plus Corbin Bryant, Lee Smith, Jerry Hughes (team 2?) blocked twice each for Goodwin and Brad Smith. The best combo seemed to be the Gragg line with Marquise Goodwin. You have to wonder about Brad Smith. He might still make this team, but if McKelvin returns kicks, maybe they deep-6 him. This is still a slider puzzle until "The Turk" comes.

Period 9: Most of the night, when doing 11 on 11, the First String Offense would go up against the Second String Defense, and vice-versa. This is genius. Coaches get to see players going against first string, and the film doesn't lie. Both QBs had a rough time in general.

Kolb had his first pass broken up by Kip Edwards, held the ball to long on 2nd down before swinging it out to Spiller (a wonderful outlet to have). Kolb then passed to Stevie J for a short gain, likely a first down between Spiller and Stevie. Kolb's play-fakes are nearly impossible to read from the stands. I thought FJ had the next ball up the middle, but then Kolb's firing it to Stevie for 10 more. A nice 15 yarder to Easley made me relax about Kolb then BAM! Kolb's pass to Goodwin is intercepted, and one to Lee Smith is dropped. So then you get depressed and BAM! Kolb throws a bomb to Easley (our #1 receiver in the preseason tilts) for 60 yards and the TD.

Tuel comes in as they work on red zone stuff. Tuel has to throw away the first down; the first-string D has it all covered. Da'Rick Rogers catches Tuel's pass down to the 5 for a first down, but the ball keeps coming back to the 20. A throw to Provo over the middle is dropped (90% Provo's fault, but good coverage too). Summers the FB lines up as a wideout, and Tuel throws to Provo again for the TD. p.s.: Did you know that Gragg's the Bills' best blocking TE according to ProFootballFocus? Tuel overtelegraphs his pass to Rogers, and the defense closes, denying him the catch. Tuel throws a quick slant to Easley for the TD and you think yay, then BAM! Duke Williams tips the pass right to Jerry Hughes, who takes it the other way. Tuel, undaunted, comes right back and BAM! threads the needle (like 3 players) to Easley for the TD.

Kolb is in, and hands off to CJ, who shows shiftiness at almost-top end speed, maybe for 10. Kolb comes right back to Spiller for about 5. They go to a 2-back I, with CJ-FJ both picking up blocks as Kolb throws a not-far-enough pass to Goodwin for an incompletion. Then BAM! Kolb hits Stevie Johnson for a 40 yard TD. Kolb looks for about 2 reads in less than 2 seconds, then takes off with it. On the next play, Kolb throws what looked like a too-high pass to FJ on an out pattern, and Freddie leaps for it and pulls it down! That's may Astro Play of the Night. Kolb fakes me out again on a fake to Freddie and a pass for 10. Not a bad series for the 7-year vet.

Tuel now has the second string and next week's waivers out there against mainly first string D. He hands off to Zach Brown going to the LG-LT spot and is tackled for a loss. On the next play, KWilliams has Tuel dead to rights in the backfield. then BAM! Tuel fires a pretty one to Gragg for a first down. Kiko Alonso almost intercepts the next pass, ZBrown tries around the left end (not much there), and Da'Rick Rogers almost has a catch but Rolle knocks it out of there and a fight ensues. Later on, FJ is talking to Aaron Williams and Brad Smith is talking to Rolle. You know who the veterans are. This is Rolle's 3rd time when he's lost his composure. Summers has a run up the middle and it's getting pretty testy. Aaron Williams is in the backfield of the offensive players, trying to mix it up with Freddy. Freddy is applauding Aaron in a mocking way. I am actually encouraged that we're seeing attitude from Buffalo Bills players, and I don't care that the O doesn't like the D and vice-versa. Just don't tint your windows.

More kicking stuff. Gaskins has a drop, Zach Brown is the other returner. This could be significant. Say McKelvin is the starting CB, then he might not be on the KR team. Maybe all wet on this one.

On the other 11 on 11, the highlights were Spiller slicing and dicing for a first down twice, an end-around by TJ, a couple bad throws in a row by Kolb to Stevie, Freddy for 2 nice catches, and Easley going down low to catch one. Tuel made completions to Sampson, Kaufman, and Da'Rick. The defense looked stout with Mario and Dareus teaming up for a sack, Branch and Troup pushing the pocket back twice, and a pass breakup by TintJob. A tip of the hat to Colin Brown and Eric Wood who opened a 20' wide hole for Choice, and to TJ Heath for covering Goodwin ALMOST well enough to not draw a flag. Duke Williams had his trap shut by Chandler's great catch, and Kolb had another 40-yarder to Stevie. Cordy and EWood opened up a huge hole, then Kolb shovel-passed to Spiller, who went a mile.

Tuel passed too far on his first pass, then nails Sampson for 25 yards. Then BAM! Crezdon Butler (#1 in thrown at-incompletions% among the CBs) INT Tuel's next pass for a pick 6. Tuel then has a completion to Kaufman, then Gaskins (likely 25 yds with a Kiko Alonso defensive interference call). Da'Rick is again victimized by a double-team with Aaron Williams underneath and Duke Williams over the top. The night ends with a Troup sack (assisted by Lawson-Bryant) and a Hogan reception for 5.

Astro

Edited by Astrobot

Does it seem that Easely is just getting better each practice and each game? Or am I just reading a lot into hearing his name called for TD after TD?

Easley has the most yardage of all the WRs after game 1 and 2. He's made the club.

I always appreciate your training camp reports and also your draft commentary. Your reporting is well done and very insightful as to how some players are perceived by the coaching staff.

I hope that the issue with the site monitors is resolved. Sometimes misunderstandings need to be addressed and hashed out before it gets to the walk away stage. I'm not sure what the heart of the problem was but in general the site monitors do a good job in keeping order on the board and their intentions are for the general good. I'm not going to comment on the conflicting issue because I don't know what it is. But I want you to know that I appreciate your participatiion on this board and the contribution you make.

Edited by JohnC

What issue with site monitors?

What are the odds of Easly starting across from Stevie? He just seems like he's been tearing it up everywhere.

One of the guys sitting behind me said the same thing tonight.

I always appreciate your training camp reports and also your draft commentary. Your reporting is well done and very insightful as to how some players are perceived by the coaching staff.

I hope that the issue with the site monitors is resolved. Sometimes misunderstandings need to be addressed and hashed out before it gets to the walk away stage. I'm not sure what the heart of the problem was but in general the site monitors do a good job in keeping order on the board and their intentions are for the general good. I'm not going to comment on the conflicting issue because I don't know what it is. But I want you to know that I appreciate your participatiion on this board and the contribution you make.

Maybe he thinks you are that other guy, who just said he was quitting?

Thanks for the Camp reports Astro, you done good!

Guy from Rumblings sitting behind me asked who my six are for WR.

I told him Stevie, TJ, Woods, Goodwin, Easley, and a tall guy, with Hogan and Sampson on the PS.

The tall guy is either going to be Kaufman, Dickerson, or Rogers, because we have the fast guys, the great route guy, the unorthodox route guy, and the most productive guy. Of the tall guys, Kaufman has the highest % receptions, and Dorin and Da'Rick have the TD. The 6th WR is going to be determined in Saturday's game.

By the way, Rumbling Guy thinks TJ will be a surprise cut or trade, and Da'Rick and Hogan make it.

Thanks again, Astro. Is this going to be the last one? I think there is only one more practice at SJF before they go back to Buffalo, but I don't recall if its open to the public.

If that's the finale, I tip my hat to you, sir. You made the summer that much better.

Thanks again, Astro. Is this going to be the last one? I think there is only one more practice at SJF before they go back to Buffalo, but I don't recall if its open to the public.

If that's the finale, I tip my hat to you, sir. You made the summer that much better.

My sentiments exactly.

It's been a lot of fun reading your reports, and I hope we get one more for the finale at St. John Fisher.

Great reports.

What is the best 3 WR set you have seen with SJ in the slot?

I am guessing it will be Easley and Woods on the outside w/SJ in the slot and Goodwin and TJ coming in when they have long situations as which can happen on after penalties.

Can EJ & Tuel fake well? That was not one of Dan Marinio's strengths and he used to get his RBs demolished. Kolb appears to have mastered this part of QB package according to your reports.