Rian Lindell released

this is interesting....

most teams attempt 30-40 FG's per season, assuming a 10% dropoff that's 3-4 more FG's missed.

are there any stats to show your points saved by starting field position ?

and speaking of field position, the penalty for a missed 50+ yard FG is pretty severe as the opposing team takes possession at the spot of the FG attempt.

Yes, each yard of the field has an "expected point" output, so the difference between two distances can be found be subtracting one from the other...also keep in mind this helps when change of possession happens because they are punting from further back, allowing us to start with better field position...

I believe PFF or football outsiders did a breakdown on this and are championing the cause that starting field position due to kickoffs is the far more important skill versus FG percentage

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, each yard of the field has an "expected point" output, so the difference between two distances can be found be subtracting one from the other...also keep in mind this helps when change of possession happens because they are punting from further back, allowing us to start with better field position...

I believe PFF or football outsiders did a breakdown on this and are championing the cause that starting field position due to kickoffs is the far more important skill versus FG percentage

heres an example

http://www.advancednflstats.com/2010/01/expected-points-ep-and-expected-points.html

and another touching on a few topics-

http://thedctimes.com/tag/nfl-sabermetrics/

Edited by NoSaint

That and that they sucked as a team. Awful on both sides of the trenches and late-vintage Bledsoe was the best they had at QB. Blech.

Umm..weren't their defenses with Fletcher and Spikes near the top of the NFL??

Our Super Bowl!!

(Also, don't tell me you weren't nervous he was going to miss that!)

I was a manger at Best Buy when that game happened, I was having people give me live updates over the radio since I was stuck on the floor during a busy Sunday.

Right before Lindell got ready to make the kick, one of the other managers got on the radio and started giving me a play-by-play and, as a joke, ended it with Lindell missing the kick.

He totally got me.

I was a manger at Best Buy when that game happened, I was having people give me live updates over the radio since I was stuck on the floor during a busy Sunday.

Right before Lindell got ready to make the kick, one of the other managers got on the radio and started giving me a play-by-play and, as a joke, ended it with Lindell missing the kick.

He totally got me.

What a d*#%! You say you WERE a manager? I'd have quit too, after that!

It's a nice gesture that they released him now so he'll likely be able to catch on with another club. And if it doesn't happen right away, he won't be out of work for very long.

It was likely a consideration of both money and a feeling that they should err toward youth and try to get some gel time with a kicker/punter combo that can be with the team for another 10 years.

So, we're full-on FSU for the kickers (and, one may speculate, QB). Did Hopkins and Powell(?) work together / FG-hold at FSU? Ramius?

Also, Sanborn, the long-snapper, is an FSU alum.

Umm..weren't their defenses with Fletcher and Spikes near the top of the NFL??

I'd have to look at the numbers, but I recall thru both the Mularkey and Greggo regimes that anyone could run on this team.

OK, you can get them here -- we're sort of both right. The Williams 2003 team finally fielded a good defense, as did the Mularkey 2004 one -- though they couldn't stop Willie Parker to save their lives.

In any case, Gregg came in here too glued to his own ideas to use what was working and it cost the team. Then they let go of Pat Williams and that, too, cost the team. Anyway, Rian Lindell's reign of terror is over.

To everyone saying they can't remember a big kick he didn't make, there was a prime time game against Cleveland a few years back where we had a chance to win at the end, and he totally muffed it. I remember sitting in the stands wanting him cut after that game.

Missed his share of kicks late in games, automatic when game was not on the line. Steve Christy he was not but solid . Good person ,and best of luck.

Wait, so why wasn't every TV in the TV section tuned into the game?

which kicker is better ?

kicker "A" - 90% FG and 30% touchbacks.

kicker "B" - 80% FG and 60% touchbacks

Is kicker "A" only lining up for FGs shorter than 40 yards, while kicker "B" is attemting anything within 55? Obviously with the bigger leg (assumed by the additional touchbacks) it means more attempts and more points. It also means potentialy fewer special team injuries.

I think it was time to move on, I wish him the best of luck, unless he ends up in NE.

Always seemed like a class act in his post game press conferences...very humble guy.

Thanks for 10 years of stability at the K position, and I hope he catches on with another team.

Ditto.

My personal, favorite Rian Lindell moment:

A buddy of mine is a Redskins season ticket holder and took me to their game against the Bills at FedEx Field in December of 2007. It was a chilly, misty/rainy day and the Bills had struggled offensively most of the game, save for four Lindell FGs (and a safety by the defense). The partisan crowd was emotionally jacked because it was Sean Taylor day - the team's first game following the murder of their star safety - and it looked all day long like Washington would win. The Bills trailed 16-14 and got the ball late in the game for a final drive. Trent Edwards miraculously drove them down field and into FG range with only seconds left in the game. Lindell lined up for a 51 yarder at our end of the field. As the rain came down, he nailed it with room to spare. My buddy couldn't believe it and I was stunned but elated. Then the announcement by the officials: "Timeout, Washington." Head Coach Joe Gibbs had called a timeout just prior to the snap. I was now dejected and my buddy breathed a sigh of relief. Lindell lined up again for another 51 yarder in the rain. As he awaited the snap, the whistle blew and a flag was thrown and I thought, "WTF, now?!", then I realized that Gibbs had succumbed to a massive brain fart and had called a second consecutive timeout! 15 yard penalty, Washington! A second 51 yarder became a more than manageable 36 yarder. No problem for Lindell. Good!! Five FGs on the day and the Bills win in a weird thriller, 17-16. The two hour car ride home to Richmond was a joy that felt like 10 minutes to me, not so much to my buddy. lol Thanks for that memory, Rian, and many others. May your future endeavors treat you well. Let the Dustin Hopkins era begin. Make it a good one, kid. :beer: