~NG~ hasn't been on the board for two months

Blast from the past. Makes me shudder!

I still remember Chairns or whatever his name was from the newsgroup days. I'm kinda old.

ICE - size 12s and a case of the red azz! Dems were da days.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blast from the past. Makes me shudder!

I still remember Chairns or whatever his name was from the newsgroup days. I'm kinda old.

I quake at times remembering DC Tom's diatribe about me being an embarrassment to Lucy (Australopithecus afarensis that is). :ph34r:

Thanks for the concern and chuckles...I've been gone for a while, it's extremely personal and a frankly tragic family matter, but I think I owe some of you an explanation, and it will probably be cathartic to open up...I dunno...so I'll take this "public".

For those of you that have known me for...I don't know...maybe more than 17 years now, you've seen me go through the trials of my wife's breast cancer and her victory now going on 16 years. You've met my son and was amused by him, shared in his high school escapades as a star basketball player...now is the most difficult part of my life...

My son has been battling a serious addiction problem for the last few years...yeah...started with oxy and he went all the way to IV heroin. He's been in and out of rehabs now seven times over the past 3 years...it's driven me and the family to the brink. As I write this, he's back in another rehab in Florida and may not be back home for quite some time, if ever. This time though, for the first time, he initiated everything, so I am hopeful (as I was the other 6 times) that this one will "stick". He was brought up in an upper middle class home, went to a good school, was a great kid with a great personality, he got okay grades and was always an athlete, from the time he was just a little boy. He was a starting point guard as a freshman in high school, He went on to be an all county point guard his junior and senior years...he had it all...was recruited to go to a major prep school (South Kent) for a post grad year, then all hell broke lose...that was 3 years ago.

I had promised him back in February if he got it together and stayed sober we'd go to the home opener, that has always been his fondest memories growing up....well he relapsed, went to rehab and then a few months later relapsed again. I just went underground at that point, I have all kinds of feelings, shame, anger, anxiety, depression...and I just checked out...I know I screwed a friend on this board but there was no way for me to go without him and I just pussied out and disappeared...I know that was wrong but I had much larger issues in my life...so there it is...my big secret....and I've found out the hard way that this can happen to anyone...it was about the last thing I thought I would have to deal with.

Have you ever heard of Chris Herron or seen the documentary "Unguarded"??? Read this to get an idea of how destructive this whole thing has been...this guy is an inspiration to both my son and myself.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/story/chris-herren-five-year-anniversary-of-sobriety-080113

Thanks for the concern and chuckles...I've been gone for a while, it's extremely personal and a frankly tragic family matter, but I think I owe some of you an explanation, and it will probably be cathartic to open up...I dunno...so I'll take this "public".

We are here for you brother.

For those of you that have known me for...I don't know...maybe more than 17 years now, you've seen me go through the trials of my wife's breast cancer and her victory now going on 16 years. You've met my son and was amused by him, shared in his high school escapades as a star basketball player...now is the most difficult part of my life...

My son has been battling a serious addiction problem for the last few years...yeah...started with oxy and he went all the way to IV heroin. He's been in and out of rehabs now seven times over the past 3 years...it's driven me and the family to the brink. As I write this, he's back in another rehab in Florida and may not be back home for quite some time, if ever. This time though, for the first time, he initiated everything, so I am hopeful (as I was the other 6 times) that this one will "stick". He was brought up in an upper middle class home, went to a good school, was a great kid with a great personality, he got okay grades and was always an athlete, from the time he was just a little boy. He was a starting point guard as a freshman in high school, He went on to be an all county point guard his junior and senior years...he had it all...was recruited to go to a major prep school (South Kent) for a post grad year, then all hell broke lose...that was 3 years ago.

I had promised him back in February if he got it together and stayed sober we'd go to the home opener, that has always been his fondest memories growing up....well he relapsed, went to rehab and then a few months later relapsed again. I just went underground at that point, I have all kinds of feelings, shame, anger, anxiety, depression...and I just checked out...I know I screwed a friend on this board but there was no way for me to go without him and I just pussied out and disappeared...I know that was wrong but I had much larger issues in my life...so there it is...my big secret....and I've found out the hard way that this can happen to anyone...it was about the last thing I thought I would have to deal with.

Have you ever heard of Chris Herron or seen the documentary "Unguarded"??? Read this to get an idea of how destructive this whole thing has been...this guy is an inspiration to both my son and myself.

http://msn.foxsports...sobriety-080113

God Bless and best of luck.

As a father of a middle school boy, this is utterly terrifying. Although illogical, as a parent you want to believe that if you do the right things then it will turn out the right way.

I can not imagine going through what you're going through. There but the grace of God go I.

Whenever you need to clear your mind, DC is a nice place to visit or whatever else floats your boat. I'll have my secretary clear my schedule.

As a father of a middle school boy, this is utterly terrifying. Although illogical, as a parent you want to believe that if you do the right things then it will turn out the right way.

I can not imagine going through what you're going through. There but the grace of God go I.

Whenever you need to clear your mind, DC is a nice place to visit or whatever else floats your boat. I'll have my secretary clear my schedule.

I will be talking with my 15 year old about this tonight. I heard this week that one of his school buddies has had an issue along these lines.

You never know. Starts with a friend saying try this , I do it all the time nothing bad will hAppen. Wife and I are very lucky with our 2 kids. Sometimes all you can do is hope that you have done a good job giving them good morels growing up. You never can be 100% sure that everything works. Peer pressure can be very bad.

Hope all works out. Prayers

Hey Nervous, Sorry to hear about your family struggles. You have shown courage by sharing with us. I will pray for your son, and you, and your family. I think by confronting this issue as a family, you will have a better chance at overcoming the addiction.

My family was touched by a Heroin tragedy, although secondhand. I wont post it here, but I want you to know that you are not alone. There are people who care about you who will help! please allow your friends and family to help you get through this.

Hang in there! Again, i will send my well wishes towards you and yours.... fight on!

It is a really good sign that he initiated this effort, it is a struggle that a lot of people go through and some never get to that point. I had a lot of experiences with these issues and some of my closest friends didn't make it for one reason or another but somehow I did. I like to think it was for a reason. Love from friends and family is definitely part of the equation. All the best to you and yours NG; be strong, hopes and prayers.