~NG~ hasn't been on the board for two months

NG, good luck to you, your son, and your family.

Ill pray that he finds the strength to beat his demons. Hopefully, he's at a place in his life and has the right support that this is the time he wins.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the concern and chuckles...I've been gone for a while, it's extremely personal and a frankly tragic family matter, but I think I owe some of you an explanation, and it will probably be cathartic to open up...I dunno...so I'll take this "public".

For those of you that have known me for...I don't know...maybe more than 17 years now, you've seen me go through the trials of my wife's breast cancer and her victory now going on 16 years. You've met my son and was amused by him, shared in his high school escapades as a star basketball player...now is the most difficult part of my life...

My son has been battling a serious addiction problem for the last few years...yeah...started with oxy and he went all the way to IV heroin. He's been in and out of rehabs now seven times over the past 3 years...it's driven me and the family to the brink. As I write this, he's back in another rehab in Florida and may not be back home for quite some time, if ever. This time though, for the first time, he initiated everything, so I am hopeful (as I was the other 6 times) that this one will "stick". He was brought up in an upper middle class home, went to a good school, was a great kid with a great personality, he got okay grades and was always an athlete, from the time he was just a little boy. He was a starting point guard as a freshman in high school, He went on to be an all county point guard his junior and senior years...he had it all...was recruited to go to a major prep school (South Kent) for a post grad year, then all hell broke lose...that was 3 years ago.

I had promised him back in February if he got it together and stayed sober we'd go to the home opener, that has always been his fondest memories growing up....well he relapsed, went to rehab and then a few months later relapsed again. I just went underground at that point, I have all kinds of feelings, shame, anger, anxiety, depression...and I just checked out...I know I screwed a friend on this board but there was no way for me to go without him and I just pussied out and disappeared...I know that was wrong but I had much larger issues in my life...so there it is...my big secret....and I've found out the hard way that this can happen to anyone...it was about the last thing I thought I would have to deal with.

Have you ever heard of Chris Herron or seen the documentary "Unguarded"??? Read this to get an idea of how destructive this whole thing has been...this guy is an inspiration to both my son and myself.

http://msn.foxsports...sobriety-080113

stay strong and stay true, try to be disciplined within yourself and consistent.

It no small feat to raise a family these days. i have four children ,all adults now. not yet full grown though. and i know enough of what you speak to tear up.

glad you posted and shared with us. it really becomes one foot in front of the other sometimes, just so the muck and mire doesnt pull you under,

Keep on truckin friend they will follow if they are able and when a hand is needed i wish you to reach for one and also still extend one to those lagging behind. a chain is stronger sometimes.

pm coming

eric

True. Acknowledging the problem from one's own perspective is often the key to rehab.

Its the first step that matters.