What do you do that is old fashioned/country?

boyst

As my girlfriend and I begin to candy and jar some peaches I got to wondering what other folks here do that is a little bit a page for yonder year gone past? We are also going to make an elixer from vodka, peaches and some herbs and roots that helps rest.

Maybe you jar some beans and taters, have a dehydrator (self built or bought?), a little garden, make your own tonics or elixers...or maybe just make things the old fashioned way from scratch - biscuits, tomato sauce, pickles?

So, TSW brethern, share...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As my girlfriend and I begin to candy and jar some peaches I got to wondering what other folks here do that is a little bit a page for yonder year gone past? We are also going to make an elixer from vodka, peaches and some herbs and roots that helps rest.

Maybe you jar some beans and taters, have a dehydrator (self built or bought?), a little garden, make your own tonics or elixers...or maybe just make things the old fashioned way from scratch - biscuits, tomato sauce, pickles?

I have a computer that's still running Windows XP...

I wake up early and go to work 5 or more days every single week, I pay my own way, I don't sit around waiting for someone else to solve my problems, I teach my children to respect their elders, I live within my means, I support my own family, I read, I look before I leap, I treat the women in my life with the utmost repect, I show up 20 minutes early, I know when to cut my losses.

Make cheese and cure meat which you all know. I've got a garden this year so I'll can and pickle some veggies an tomato sauce. I also preserve lemons from my tree and I have an apple tree too. Not sure what I'll do with my apples this year.

This reminds me of the book/movie "Holes." Do you call your canned peaches "sploosh"?

Don't you hate it when you start a serious thread and nobody takes it seriously ....

At least you can laugh :lol:

Don't you hate it when you start a serious thread and nobody takes it seriously ....

At least you can laugh :lol:

It is fun how it grows. But, a tube TV is old fashioned. Being Tom is very old fashioned. The only thing we need here to go back further if a DeLoren.

I learned how to can tomatoes from my grandmother (RIP). She was born in Siracusa, Sicily and came to the U.S. when she was about 7 or 8 years old. While the rest of my cousins were rifling through her jewelry and other valuables, I was staking my claim to her canning equipment and her recipe box. Best "tomato gravy" I have ever tasted, and I am only one of a very few people that she shared it with.

2 small gardens. One for greens, beans, herbs, and the like that is fenced to keep the critters out. The other for tomatoes. Make a salsa at the end of the season that I freeze for use in the winter. Grow rhubarb and asparagus in some perennial gardens around the house. Make my own sauerkraut. And the occasional ice cream with a hand crank maker. Used to can strawberry and rasberry jam, but the canning lids got harder to locate (lazy?). Going to look into a smoker for my birthday.