What do you do that is old fashioned/country?

boyst

back on topic, i don't do enough...used to make beer on a regular basis. used to have a smoker and smoked meats. i do roast my own coffee. i have 15 pepper and tomato plants on my small balcony. I just dusted off my old turntable and pieces of vinyl. I would love to do more but i am too lazy

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two raised bed gardens. Garlic has reached full maturity, clipped off tops and flower (forgot what they're called), put them in blender with some olive oil, parm cheese and red pepper flakes...blend. We poured the mixture into ice cube trays and froze them. Then put them into Ziploc bags. In the fall or winter, when you buy a good loaf of bread and want pesto to dip into, take a few cubes out, let them thaw and they are excellent. Also good to drop a cube into marinara or anything else that needs a garlicy flavor.

scapes...they are awesome

Two raised bed gardens. Garlic has reached full maturity, clipped off tops and flower (forgot what they're called), put them in blender with some olive oil, parm cheese and red pepper flakes...blend. We poured the mixture into ice cube trays and froze them. Then put them into Ziploc bags. In the fall or winter, when you buy a good loaf of bread and want pesto to dip into, take a few cubes out, let them thaw and they are excellent. Also good to drop a cube into marinara or anything else that needs a garlicy flavor.

I learned how to can tomatoes from my grandmother (RIP). She was born in Siracusa, Sicily and came to the U.S. when she was about 7 or 8 years old. While the rest of my cousins were rifling through her jewelry and other valuables, I was staking my claim to her canning equipment and her recipe box. Best "tomato gravy" I have ever tasted, and I am only one of a very few people that she shared it with.

If someone is going to know about tomatoes it would be a Sicilian.

I listen to records on a turntable. I occasionally write a letter with a pen onto paper and mail it in an envelope with a stamp. I don't do any twittering and I don't belong to Facepants or Assbook or any of those high fallutin' social media jobs.

I wake up early and go to work 5 or more days every single week, I pay my own way, I don't sit around waiting for someone else to solve my problems, I teach my children to respect their elders, I live within my means, I support my own family, I read, I look before I leap, I treat the women in my life with the utmost repect, I show up 20 minutes early, I know when to cut my losses.

beautiful

I wake up early and go to work 5 or more days every single week, I pay my own way, I don't sit around waiting for someone else to solve my problems, I teach my children to respect their elders, I live within my means, I support my own family, I read, I look before I leap, I treat the women in my life with the utmost repect, I show up 20 minutes early, I know when to cut my losses.

Absolutely this.

Also, I've come to exclusively use a cast-iron skillet for any stove-top cooking that doesn't require depth. For years I pissed away money on cookwear until my wife bought me the skillet for my birthday. It has become increasingly amazing to me that, beyond needing tall pots for sauces, soups, stews, etc, the cast-iron skillet does everything you could possibly want out of a piece of cookwear.

I change my own oil and work on my vehicles (when I don't need something major). I mow my own lawn and landscape (if you want to call it that). LoL

Wife got me to change a 60w light bulb in the closet this morning...

I don't eat fast food or at chains. I don't shop at Walmart, etc. I support my local business

I love those bumper stickers when I pull into the REI parking lot. Yet, they are on a vehicle made overseas the bag of crap they are loading up is made in China. BUT, the bag of trailnuts was organically grown in Maine.

:-P

Coexist!

We hang our laundry out on a clothes line, even if our village passes an ordinace that says no way! WTF is this world coming to, ordinance against clothes line?

http://daily.sightline.org/2012/02/21/clothesline-bans-void-in-19-states/

I build furniture with only handtools when the feeling strikes me. I mostly use a mix of power and hand tools though. I wouldn't give up my collection of handplanes for nothing.

Usually I'd use a mix of power and hand tools...but this is something where so much hand work is needed that I said "screw it, I'll do it all with hand tools," as something of a challenge.

And I should add: I'm using one "power" tool. The soldering iron.

I'm building a guitar (Gibson SG copy, for those who care). With hand tools. Some of which I built myself, and others of which (an old Stanley 4 1/2 plane, for example) I refurbished.

Very nice Tom. I have never built a guiter before, but I have a buddy who used to before arthritis kicked in. Always wanted to try though.

I also refurbished a stanley 4 1/2 as well a 4,5 and 5 1/2 I picked out of a box of junk tools at a estate sale once. I love the 4. I use them all the time. You can't beat the quality of the older stanley tools. I would rather restore an older one than buy one of the newer stanleys. Though I have used a newer stanley sweetheart and liked it.