What do you do that is old fashioned/country?

boyst

Who said no one would take this thread seriously? Yeah. In your face.

Very fascinating folks, learning about ya'll and just how diverse this world is. Some of you folks really going the distance - dehyrdrating foods (I am looking to do a solar dehydrator this summer once I figure out if I want top down or bottom up design), others building guitars, putting in lightbulbs, and wearing a watch. What a diverse crowd.

To add a few that I do... I use hand tools older then anyone on this board - old hand drills, plainers, etc. I have 80 yr old farm equipment and methods that people have stopped using for decades - salt in the eye to stop pink eye in livestock, building fences with angled corner braces and not this horizontal brace bullcrap. I do not have a garden this year but often have a very large garden, herbs and more included. I do most all of the work on the vehicles - change a water pump on the S10, oil on all, and good stuff like that. I have all tube TV's. I wear dresses to the ankle, always being modest. I do not ask for help unless I am about to get killed. I do not waste things, including food.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very fascinating folks, learning about ya'll and just how diverse this world is. Some of you folks really going the distance - dehyrdrating foods (I am looking to do a solar dehydrator this summer once I figure out if I want top down or bottom up design), others building guitars, putting in lightbulbs, and wearing a watch. What a diverse crowd.

To add a few that I do... I use hand tools older then anyone on this board - old hand drills, plainers, etc. I have 80 yr old farm equipment and methods that people have stopped using for decades - salt in the eye to stop pink eye in livestock, building fences with angled corner braces and not this horizontal brace bullcrap. I do not have a garden this year but often have a very large garden, herbs and more included. I do most all of the work on the vehicles - change a water pump on the S10, oil on all, and good stuff like that. I have all tube TV's. I wear dresses to the ankle, always being modest. I do not ask for help unless I am about to get killed. I do not waste things, including food.

Do you scream for help when the hem of your dress gets caught in the belts on your Chevy?

Salt in the eye of livestock? WTF? Sounds pretty painful. Does it work or do you get off on the sound of screaming cows? LOL! J/K

Do you scream for help when the hem of your dress gets caught in the belts on your Chevy?

Occasionally.

Salt in the eye of livestock? WTF? Sounds pretty painful. Does it work or do you get off on the sound of screaming cows? LOL! J/K

It works. Probably as painful as can be but I have found it works far better then antibiotics. You can also squirt LA-200, which is a licomycin based antibiotic in their eye. There are a bunch of tricks like this. I have to think of them, they're filed in the brain somewhere and they come out when I know I need them.

Here is one:

When a calf is born you shove your fingers up its nose to make it flinch and flair its nose. Then you pick it up and shake it by its back legs, the suckers are gooey and slimy as hell and weigh about 100#. It's not easy.

Occasionally.

It works. Probably as painful as can be but I have found it works far better then antibiotics. You can also squirt LA-200, which is a licomycin based antibiotic in their eye. There are a bunch of tricks like this. I have to think of them, they're filed in the brain somewhere and they come out when I know I need them.

Here is one:

When a calf is born you shove your fingers up its nose to make it flinch and flair its nose. Then you pick it up and shake it by its back legs, the suckers are gooey and slimy as hell and weigh about 100#. It's not easy.

I would never make it as a farmer. I have new respect for you, lol.

Here is one:

I actually knew that. Probably from James Herriot.

And LA-200 is tetracycline...which is interesting...