Byrd Skipping mandatory mini-camp

if your referring to a Willis McGahee type of policy he took out on his knees, how much was that? $1million?... $5million maybe?

Byrd is slotted to make another $60mil+ in his career. How much would a $60mil insurance policy run nowadays?

This type of insurance is in place to protect against a career-ending injury, but should not be confused with a 'loss of value' policy (which I don't think is even available). Moreover, it's not that big a risk for the insurance company. These policies are written so that companies pay off only if the player never plays again, a rarity in today's advanced medicine and rehabilitation.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's fine. As long as we are compensated by draft picks on his way out the door, I'm good with it. Parker has the right to play hardball, but so do the Bills. In the end, it comes down to what makes sense for the team financially over the long-h aul. The Steelers and New England have been quite successful in letting guys go when their perceived value exceeds what the team is willing to pay.

The idea that somehow the Bills should just cave into Parker is ridiculous. Two can play the game. And just because Peters eventually got paid notwithstanding his rather slovenly performance does not mean that when all is said and done, Byrd will end up better off through Parker's tactics.

The Peters case was unique and different than the normal tagging. The Bills had actually given him a contract a few years before and while Peters may have outlived that contract, it was not a contract expiry situation. Parker himself said in an earlier article that something went wrong in that negotiation. Still the Eagles ponied up the money and the draft pick to get him and they have been happy to have an all-pro for the past four seasons.

Edited by ganesh

The Peters case was unique and different than the normal tagging. The Bills had actually given him a contract a few years before and while Peters may have outlived that contract, it was not a contract expiry situation. Parker himself said in an earlier article that something went wrong in that negotiation. Still the Eagles ponied up the money and the draft pick to get him and they have been happy to have an all-pro for the past four seasons.

Peters wanted more money every few years, that's why they got rid of him.

Not if you talk to Philly fans and radio people. He's been called lazy and injury prone. Not all are thrilled with him.

The 6 P Rule. Perfect Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance. Time to sign that $6.91m contract and start that preparation. No one is going to pay top dollar in 2014 for someone who can't be bothered with preparation.

http://www.businessinsider.com/chris-johnson-bills-td-video-2012-10

Looking at this clip from the Titans game it looks like the Best Safety in the NFL has a few things to learn. However it appears he has mastered the art of running in slow motion ! :-))

Edited by peterlaw

The 6 P Rule. Perfect Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance. Time to sign that $6.91m contract and start that preparation. No one is going to pay top dollar in 2014 for someone who can't be bothered with preparation.

http://www.businessi...d-video-2012-10

Looking at this clip from the Titans game it looks like the Best Safety in the NFL has a few things to learn. However it appears he has mastered the art of running in slow motion ! :-))

While I don't think it's fair that we judge him on one play, you do bring up a good point. He's had a tendency to guess wrong and get lost on running plays from time to time and doesn't have the elite speed to compensate.

GO BILLS!!!

Peters wanted more money every few years, that's why they got rid of him.

Yea right. I am not a peters apologist but get real. They were not paying him LT money or anywhere near his value.Then, they signed some crap overpiced interior lineman at 10X their worth. But it's all Peters fault. Let it go. The Bills F-ed up pure and simple early on by low balling him. he's gone and why does it need to be rehashed with revisionist history every few months? If you're going to make comments like that put it in proper prospective people may have a hard time taking your posts seriously.

His time and actions in Philly no one here should care about. But they do because their ticked off he's no longer here. Why else do these silly comments pop up constantly? All the hate should be at Levitre and Byrd now. Fresh meat.

Edited by Best Player Available

Don't be silly. Everyone knows the 6 P Rule is actually, Peter Piper Picked a Peck of Pickled Peppers.

Since when are Safeties relied upon to stop the run? Especially with the money we're paying our defensive front. I don't want to overpay the cat, either, but his inability to guess where an open-field running back (Chris Johnson, no less) is going to go is hardly something to hold against him while negotiating. In my most humble opinion, ever, of course.

http://www.businessi...d-video-2012-10

He gives up the chase on the Tennessee 40. One of the things I'd like to see in camp is if anyone notices whether or not he's on the field. Parker's got rocks in his head.

I can respect the issue of getting injured in a franchise tag year...which is why I have even less respect for Parker. It's in his best interests to do what is best for his client, not leave him in the lurch because he feels he can add one million more a year.

Of course, there is another question: what is Byrd sits out for the maximum amount of time, but gets hurt his first week back because he hasn't gone through conditioning? He'd have given up half a year of guaranteed salary, only to know that he's getting much less in this round of negotiations.

He gives up the chase on the Tennessee 40. One of the things I'd like to see in camp is if anyone notices whether or not he's on the field. Parker's got rocks in his head.

Parker has obviously not seen the game tape. How slow is Byrd ? Clearly no disgrace getting beat for speed by Johnson but at least get in position to make a tackle. Make the runner hesitate for a split second creates an opportunity for a team mate to bring him down.

While I don't think it's fair that we judge him on one play, you do bring up a good point. He's had a tendency to guess wrong and get lost on running plays from time to time and doesn't have the elite speed to compensate.

GO BILLS!!!

agreed on the make up speed. he doesnt show it,.

And angles are in question i hear. fair cop.

but i also think he gave up on last year. another major ding against him in my book. it seemed most Bills D did the same with Wanny last year eventually.

But thats no excuse to me.

i am not on the field or in the locker room and my opinion on that matter is worth little in that regard .

his guessing i might question K-9. I think he most often knew his role but was just amazed that the play was broken by so many others. Its hard for a safety when a runner gets zero disruption at the line of scrimmage and then again at the second level.

I mean i did some wtf s myself when sheppard and barnett coudnt stack or shed.

Parker has obviously not seen the game tape. How slow is Byrd ? Clearly no disgrace getting beat for speed by Johnson but at least get in position to make a tackle. Make the runner hesitate for a split second creates an opportunity for a team mate to bring him down.

why who else was ready to make a play ? he is last man standing in theory , isnt he Peter ? Free safety.

Thats the linebackers job either stuff him or push the player into upfield coverage or better yet out of bounds. not being snarky here just asking : )

T-Minus a few days until the start of camp and still not a word from Byrd. Looking more and more like we're gonna have to move forward with what we've got.

So be it. The FS position won't make or break the team.