Byrd Skipping mandatory mini-camp

OK all that being said, What happens now? Do the Bill agree to a deal to get him into camp that guarantees no tag next year or do they play hard ball and use the tag again next year? Or do they trade him? On a side note, I kinda hate Eugene Parker, Mr "fair negotiator"

If he refuses to report to camp without the "no tag" deal, my attitude is that he has played his last game as a Bill. His attitude as a selfish "Mr. ME" is a plague on the new attitude the Bills are trying to build on a young and growing team. If he is unwilling to take his already big bucks for this season and be a good soldier, it is time for the Bills to work with him toward just one path. That is to find a team HE wants to play for and is willing to give him the dollars he wants, AND is willing to give the Bills the Draft pick(s) that the Bills are willing to trade him for.

Giving him the big bucks he already gets this year with his franchise tag and knowing he is leaving next year with ZERO compensation makes absolutely no sense to the Bills. Short of a miracle, this season is (Yet Another) building year for the Bills, not a winning year. Paying big bucks for him as a one year hired gun is a waste of resources and a damaging distraction. Having players with his "Mr. Me" attitude is bad for the team moral and chemistry that the team needs to develop in this building year.

Edited by simpleman

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The amazing thing is that the Bills would've taken Mark Barron over Gilmore two years ago, and were strongly considering Kenny Vaccaro if E.J. was off the board. Yet according to some here, they don't put a premium on safeties.

Interesting that you bring that up.

Not that I necessarily agree with this viewpoint, but I've often wondered if the Bills think they get more value by drafting DBs and RBs with high draft picks. It is financially cheaper than signing FAs of those positions, or even re-signing your own picks, if they can just draft a comparable player to replace those DBs or RBs when their rookie contract expires.

Following a model like this frees up money for premium FAs at premium positions. Of course, it doesn't really matter if you don't have a QB, or if you make poor personnel decisions across the board.

While I don't exactly agree with a policy or model of investing picks instead of cash at certain positions, it would obviously be easier to judge if the other aspects of the team were in order. I think theoretically, a model like this could make sense, if you have consistency in other areas, and established cornerstone players. As we all have seen, it doesn't make sense to save money when they ultimately spend that money foolishly.

If he refuses to report to camp without the "no tag" deal, my attitude is that he has played his last game as a Bill. His attitude as a selfish "Mr. ME" is a plague on the new attitude the Bills are trying to build on a young and growing team. If he is unwilling to take his already big bucks for this season and be a good soldier, it is time for the Bills to work with him toward just one path. That is to find a team HE wants to play for and is willing to give him the dollars he wants, AND is willing to give the Bills the Draft pick(s) that the Bills are willing to trade him for.

Giving him the big bucks he already gets this year with his franchise tag and knowing he is leaving next year with ZERO compensation makes absolutely no sense to the Bills. Short of a miracle, this season is (Yet Another) building year for the Bills, not a winning year. Paying big bucks for him as a one year hired gun is a waste of resources and a damaging distraction. Having players with his "Mr. Me" attitude is bad for the team moral and chemistry that the team needs to develop in this building year.

I pretty much agree...

If Byrd wants to be the sole NFL holdout I'm done with him...And if I'm the Bills I let him sit till whatever week it is he has to sign the tender in order to get credit for the year...Then I Franchise him again in order to Trade him next off season...I don't mind The Bills playing hardball in this case whatsoever because I think Parker is a prick, Byrd is all but done as a Bill anyway (ie...I don't think he wants to be in Buffalo), and this team is in total rebuild mode...There is no way the Bills should give up their leverage to trade Byrd...And that's what waiving the Franchise Tag ability does...

And also...When he comes back in week 10 or whatever...He does not play...I'm done with the kid...Disappointed and done...And that's just my opinion...I know he is a very good player, and that the Bills don't have a lot of good players...But I really don't care...I think this is a classless move by a player who does not want to be in Buffalo... B-)

No need to insult people but it does show what I already knew.

You changed my post in a quote to misrepresent what I said. That is being a coward.

If you don't want to be called out for it, don't do it.

Simple as that.

As for what it shows, yes, it shows I'm not going to sit idly by while you try to pull that garbage. Glad you already knew that.

The amazing thing is that the Bills would've taken Mark Barron over Gilmore two years ago, and were strongly considering Kenny Vaccaro if E.J. was off the board. Yet according to some here, they don't put a premium on safeties.

According to whom? I've heard they liked Keuchly followed by Gilmore in 2012, and that it was Manuel or bust in 2013.

I pretty much agree...

If Byrd wants to be the sole NFL holdout I'm done with him...And if I'm the Bills I let him sit till whatever week it is he has to sign the tender in order to get credit for the year...Then I Franchise him again in order to Trade him next off season...I don't mind The Bills playing hardball in this case whatsoever because I think Parker is a prick, Byrd is all but done as a Bill anyway (ie...I don't think he wants to be in Buffalo), and this team is in total rebuild mode...There is no way the Bills should give up their leverage to trade Byrd...And that's what waiving the Franchise Tag ability does...

And also...When he comes back in week 10 or whatever...He does not play...I'm done with the kid...Disappointed and done...And that's just my opinion...I know he is a very good player, and that the Bills don't have a lot of good players...But I really don't care...I think this is a classless move by a player who does not want to be in Buffalo... B-)

Agreed, the Bills have all the leverage right now and Byrd's holdout only hurts him from a P.R. standpoint. I think he should sign the tender and ask to be traded if that is what he wants or propose a long-term contract.

Either way he has no leverage. Bills are still rebuilding, so I say go after high multiple draft pics and or a key young player or two. What is happening now is just bad advice from his agent. Not like he won't be making bank with the franchise tag. Ah, the impatience of youth.

I pretty much agree...

I could not have said it any better. Well done! :thumbsup:

I pretty much agree...

The only thing I disagree with here is the idea that he doesn't want to be in Buffalo. I think people jump to that conclusion unnecessarily. He wants to get paid, plain and simple. If Buffalo pays him, he'll gladly play here. If not, he'd like to go somewhere that will.

Other than that, solid post

I pretty much agree...

And this is exactly why this franchise keeps floundering. Despite Marv Levy's proclamations that if the administration listens to fans in how to run a team, they'll soon be watching from the stands too, the Bills have proven to be run by a weathervane fan.

Byrd is simply exercising the only leverage he has. He has never said anything about wanting to leave Buffalo, and if you believe the local press (I have no reason to doubt the lush Canadian scribe) Byrd said flat out last year that he prefers to stay in Buffalo. I fully expect him to show up on September 8, because he doesn't get paid if he doesn't report at that time, and he needs to play well again to be in a good negotiating position for next year.

People are taking it personally, when it's all business. Byrd wants to stay in Buffalo but also wants to be paid at the top. Bills don't. Byrd has been one of the best players at his position over the last four years. Bills think they can plug and play Williams into the spot and not miss a beat. Based on past performance of the two parties, in trying to guess where this ends up, I'm putting my money on the guy who's not in camp.

i'm going the other way.

first, he is NOT a distraction to the other players. in fact, they are all probably encouraging him to get all the money he can possibly get.

second, he is not a distraction to the team. looks like they anticipated this holdout and drafted accordingly. you coach who is here. next man up.

third, the Bills should play hardball all the way. STOP LETTING PLAYERS FORCE THEIR WAY OUT. Byrd is under team control for at least this year and next at reasonable franchise tag numbers ($6.9 & $8.3). they could even stick it to him a third year at $11.9 just to make a point. LET HIM SIT HIM HOME IF HE WANTS.

I think too many people here are hung up on a ruthless business mentality suggesting that Byrd needs to be taught a lesson. Parker plays hardball and may use some dick-ish tactics, but he is doing the best for a client who wants a long-term deal with some certainty, not a one-year deal where his client can lose tons of money if injured (like Eric Berry may have did).

Furthermore, I will be livid if Byrd comes back in week 6, or week 10, and the Bills sit him regardless of whether he can help them win games. This goes double if they are still in contention. The contracts and front-office stuff are not under Marrone's purview. His job is to put the best team on the field. If Byrd sits for any reason other than that he is not the best player at his position on the roster at the time, shame on them. I think they are smarter than this.

And this is exactly why this franchise keeps floundering. Despite Marv Levy's proclamations that if the administration listens to fans in how to run a team, they'll soon be watching from the stands too, the Bills have proven to be run by a weathervane fan.

Byrd is simply exercising the only leverage he has. He has never said anything about wanting to leave Buffalo, and if you believe the local press (I have no reason to doubt the lush Canadian scribe) Byrd said flat out last year that he prefers to stay in Buffalo. I fully expect him to show up on September 8, because he doesn't get paid if he doesn't report at that time, and he needs to play well again to be in a good negotiating position for next year.

People are taking it personally, when it's all business. Byrd wants to stay in Buffalo but also wants to be paid at the top. Bills don't. Byrd has been one of the best players at his position over the last four years. Bills think they can plug and play Williams into the spot and not miss a beat. Based on past performance of the two parties, in trying to guess where this ends up, I'm putting my money on the guy who's not in camp.

Not only that, but I think a player has to look at what Mark Anderson pulls in for a year of... what, exactly? And think, "Jesus, I've contributed far more to this team, and look at the kind of money they are literally throwing away on a guy like that!"

third, the Bills should play hardball all the way. STOP LETTING PLAYERS FORCE THEIR WAY OUT. Byrd is under team control for at least this year and next at reasonable franchise tag numbers ($6.9 & $8.3). they could even stick it to him a third year at $11.9 just to make a point. LET HIM SIT HIM HOME IF HE WANTS.

So if your contract at work runs up, and your boss says, "one-year contract, take it or leave it. It's very good money, but I can't guarantee you anything beyond this year," what do you do? Bend over and take it?

So if your contract at work runs up, and your boss says, "one-year contract, take it or leave it. It's very good money, but I can't guarantee you anything beyond this year," what do you do? Bend over and take it?

Well, considering most people don't work under a contract, and can be fired at any given time with no guaranteed compensation... Yes, yes I would bend over and take it.

But, then again, us middle class folks have to deal with a different reality. :)

for $6.9 million ?.....where do I sign.

for a one year deal 6 times higher than i was paid last year ?......where do I sign.

for a one year deal making me the 7th highest paid in the country at what I do ?.....where do I sign.

Edited by papazoid

And they are willing to pay him as one of the best at his position. The Bills opened their negotiations at a salary that makes him the 4th highest paid at the position.

Your suggestion to not take it personally is sound but also ironic. Of course it's a business, run by business people, but you seem to take everything the Bills do in that regard very personally indeed.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

I think too many people here are hung up on a ruthless business mentality suggesting that Byrd needs to be taught a lesson. Parker plays hardball and may use some dick-ish tactics, but he is doing the best for a client who wants a long-term deal with some certainty, not a one-year deal where his client can lose tons of money if injured (like Eric Berry may have did).

Furthermore, I will be livid if Byrd comes back in week 6, or week 10, and the Bills sit him regardless of whether he can help them win games. This goes double if they are still in contention. The contracts and front-office stuff are not under Marrone's purview. His job is to put the best team on the field. If Byrd sits for any reason other than that he is not the best player at his position on the roster at the time, shame on them. I think they are smarter than this.

Not only that, but I think a player has to look at what Mark Anderson pulls in for a year of... what, exactly? And think, "Jesus, I've contributed far more to this team, and look at the kind of money they are literally throwing away on a guy like that!"

If that one-year contract is guaranteed, represents a near 500% raise, and I'm confident in my abilities, then heck yeah, I'd sign in about 1/4 of a second.

But that's just me

As others have said "What contract?" We normal guys don't get contracts, or big bucks. We bust our butts working for the man day to day doing what we have to to survive. We have no choice but to constantly bend over and take it regularly. Our true relationship with our employer is, and has always been " bend over and take it, or I'll be seeing you as I drive past outside the welfare office or notice the cardboard box you are living in under the bridge". It does not matter how hard you work or how much education you have, that is the way it is in our country and our world for normal working people. Most people don't even have the luxury of belonging to a strong union and working under "contracts" that give us any rights or say about our job except the right to bend over and take it, or else ..."poof".

Edited by simpleman

And they are willing to pay him as one of the best at his position. The Bills opened their negotiations at a salary that makes him the 4th highest paid at the position.

Your suggestion to not take it personally is sound but also ironic. Of course it's a business, run by business people, but you seem to take everything the Bills do in that regard very personally indeed.

GO BILLS!!!

And that's the difference. Byrd & Parker believe that he should be paid more than Goldson & Weddle, and his performance showed that he's a better player than they are. Bills don't agree, so Byrd is using whatever leverage he has in a controlled market to make sure that he gets paid what the market says he's worth. That's the business part. The personal part is seeing Bills front office repeat the same mistake they've made in the past. What ever happened to draft well and keep your players part? Especially the only drafted player who made it to two Pro-Bowls in the last decade?

The Bills would be in a better position with their fan base if they hadn't squandered away millions on some pretty craptacular deals with incredibly paltry returns.

Merriman

Anderson

Kelsay

Maybin

Dockery

and we could go on and on.

They've pizzed away more good money after bad players than the 7th Fleet does on broads and booze during Fleet Week in NYC.

When Training Camp starts, so will the incessant drum beat in the media about Byrd and his no-show, his no-sign, and his no-deal.

He certainly can't sit home and wait to show up. He would be fired. He has to bend over and take it or go look for a new job. New jobs are not knocking at his door. Byrd is in a much better situation than the guy in your illustration. If my contract runs out at work, they dont tag me and pay me the average of the top paid people in my field.

He certainly can't sit home and wait to show up. He would be fired. He has to bend over and take it or go look for a new job. New jobs are not knocking at his door. Byrd is in a much better situation than the guy in your illustration. If my contract runs out at work, they dont tag me and pay me the average of the top paid people in my field.

Why do people equate NFL football players to regular workers? Are you one of the top 5 talents in the world in a $10 billion industry?