Byrd Skipping mandatory mini-camp

Smartly run teams try to resolve an issue before it becomes an issue. No one is arguing against your point that the Bills have the leverage in the negotiation with Byrd. But the end game is to keep and add talent to a lackluster roster. Why play hardball against a talented player that you drafted while overpaying for free agent players who get cut in short order. That makes no sense. Instead of being generous with the outside talent that is over rated wouldn't it be better for the sake of the team to possibly overpay a tad for a quality player alreay on your roster.

Let's put things in context: The Bills have not made the playoffs in 13 consecutive years and still counting They have also have had 8 or 9 losing seasns over the past decade. Isn't having more talent better than having lesser talent? Injudiciously exercising leverage is not always the wise thing to do if you are interested in winning more.

Not when you're paying a FS $9M/year and have other more important players coming up as UFA's. And the Bills will/can have Byrd's services for 2 more years at $7.6M/year.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The amazing thing is that the Bills would've taken Mark Barron over Gilmore two years ago, and were strongly considering Kenny Vaccaro if E.J. was off the board. Yet according to some here, they don't put a premium on safeties.

This is hearsay, isn't it?

Search search search for bad things to say lol. Will you be searching for bad CJ plays when his contract comes up. ;)

You're fairly new here and seem like a good poster.

If you changed something Bandit said you should own up to it and just apologize.

Hey, quick question, not to get off topic or anything, is Byrd missing mandatory minicamp?

Take it to Off the Wall, pal.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

what is Byrd's leverage ?

he can hold out til week #10 to avoid risk of injury. then he could pull up lame in his first practice and not play for a few more weeks.

For every game he misses, he loses over $400,000 so I don't consider that to be leverage for Byrd.

From the CB interview with Mario, it sounds like Byrd does not have the playbook.

Touching back on a discussion earlier in this topic. Thanks Doc.

The money they pissed away on mark Anderson most likely exceeds the difference between Byrd and the Bills. Ditto on fritz. But no problem paying Mckelvin 20 million more on a new contract He is not a good corner. Brad Smith must laugh when he cashes his game day checks. But hey lets keep arguing about byrds worth at FS.

And Merriman.

Great point.

I believe the entire thing is a game of chicken - Parker thinks Bills will relent like they did with Clements and promise they will not tag Byrd again. That should actually be illegal since it is going around rules.

Any contract can negotiate the same, it's not bypassing any rule

Not when you're paying a FS $9M/year and have other more important players coming up as UFA's. And the Bills will/can have Byrd's services for 2 more years at $7.6M/year.

The difference between what he could have gotten in an extended deal compared to being franchised for two years is miniscule. If you factor in the money that was wasted on the Anderson signing that would have made up the difference. You say he is asking for $9M/yr. That certainly could be negotiated down to $8M/yr on an extended deal.

Playing hardball with one of your more talented players and being very loose with your money for an outside questionable talent is counter-productive.

Playing hardball with one of your more talented players and being very loose with your money for an outside questionable talent is counter-productive.

While also bringing in talent that has shown little to no improvement on this team vs. the cost measured.

While also bringing in talent that has shown little to no improvement on this team vs. the cost measured.

I'm not sure which players you are referring to but the Merriman and even the multi-positional player, Smith, haven't given much return on the $$$$$.If Byrd is asking for an outlandish salary then the organization has a right to hold the line. But are they really that far apart in a salary range that can't be breached?

I'm not sure which players you are referring to but the Merriman and even the multi-positional player, Smith, haven't given much return on the $$$$$.If Byrd is asking for an outlandish salary then the organization has a right to hold the line. But are they really that far apart in a salary range that can't be breached?

I'm saying who we have brought in has not returned on the $$$. My wording may have been fugly.

Perhaps the best return on a player we have got is Chandler. He has a lot of TD's.

Oh, and I do not even think they have had any serious chats about it. Maybe push a paper across two or three times with a number... This is likely one of those bonus situations and funny wording deals.

And where is that GM who made those deals today, or the DC who wanted that certain player?

PTR

So are we insinuating that the Assistant General Manager/Director of Pro Personnel has no say in making these deals, but Wannstedt did? I find that position suspect, at best. Lord help them if they were making signings based on Wannstedt's opinion.

Does it really change the point that this front office is willing to throw lots of money away on some players, but inexplicably plays hardball with the guys who are core / stars? It especially seems like they look to "prove points" with certain players instead of aiming for a middle ground. This has been an epidemic pattern regardless of whom is in charge. And Brandon and Ralph are still here. But if you're a Chris Kelsay or a Shawne Merriman or a Mark Anderson or a Cornell Green, back up the frigging Brinks truck.

It's not a big splash to re-sign Byrd, so I understand that it doesn't have the sexy factor that the FO is looking for, but it will cost less than half of what Mario is signed for, and it will probably result in more consistent production.

So are we insinuating that the Assistant General Manager/Director of Pro Personnel has no say in making these deals? I find that position suspect, at best. Lord help them if they were making signings based on Wannstedt's opinion.

Does it really change the point that this front office is willing to throw lots of money away on some players, but inexplicably plays hardball with the guys who are core / stars? It especially seems like they look to "prove points" with certain players instead of aiming for a middle ground. This has been an epidemic pattern regardless of whom is in charge. And Brandon and Ralph are still here. But if you're a Chris Kelsay or a Shawne Merriman or a Mark Anderson or a Cornell Green, back up the frigging Brinks truck.

It's not a big splash to re-sign Byrd, so I understand that it doesn't have the sexy factor that the FO is looking for, but it will cost less than half of what Mario is signed for, and it will probably result in more consistent production.

I'm insinuating that no one here really knows who did what.

Oooooookay, and I'm buying that insinuation.

In which case, Mark Anderson is worth millions and Jairus Byrd is just a jerk who wants to be overpaid?

for reasons unknown I believe you are correct. I learned all that reading just this one thread. Funny how some keep posting hearsay claiming he wants 9 mil per. Of course asking for a link from say OBD and you get crickets......

In the end it's a tough time being a 4 year starter and being good at your position (A rarity for drafted players in Buffalo).

for reasons unknown I believe you are correct. I learned all that reading just this one thread. Funny how some keep posting hearsay claiming he wants 9 mil per. Of course asking for a link from say OBD and you get crickets......

There is no link, just as there's no link to say he's looking for less than $9M/year.

There is no link, just as there's no link to say he's looking for less than $9M/year.

Well, exactly.

So, shouldn't the posts suggesting that the Bills should make him sit the season to make an example of him, y'know, stop?

Read the WGR training camp article about this, and what do you see but a lot of his teammates really hoping that he'll be back soon, but also wanting him to get paid?

I guarantee you that if the Bills are stupid enough to play these kinds of tricks with him, it won't sit will with his teammates. Perhaps against all odds, I don't think they are that stupid and spiteful. If that's how you act in a billion dollar business, you won't last long.

Why not say 10M per year? You can't prove me right or wrong.

After all, Parker is a greedy player agent who won't work with the team.

So, shouldn't the posts suggesting that the Bills should make him sit the season to make an example of him, y'know, stop?

No. The Bills can not allow an agent to hold contract hostage; the Bills have the right to exercise franchise tag like every other team.

The Bills already TRIED appeasement before with Clements. It did not work.

And I do not think he should have to sit.

He should have to run on the field and get tees; maybe wear the mascot costume during halftime of the team Billy beats up.

:nana:

You can write petitions each week saying Byrd deserves Player of the Week and would have if the Bills made him highest paid player of the NFL like he deserves.

The money they pissed away on mark Anderson most likely exceeds the difference between Byrd and the Bills. Ditto on fritz. But no problem paying Mckelvin 20 million more on a new contract He is not a good corner. Brad Smith must laugh when he cashes his game day checks. But hey lets keep arguing about byrds worth at FS. And get excited about the first round bust they swapped for sheppard. And believe magically he's going to be all world now. Good chance he starts day one along with McKelvin and Aaron Williams. That is the sign of poor FO management. leaving a open LG spot and signing mediocre talent to replace him with Kolb and a rookie QB and needing to keep both upright for 16 games is all I need to see as proof that Whaley is no more than equal to Nix as a GM.

To think this will be a good defense with those players and ridicule the worth of Byrd is why the Bills fanbase continues to support medicore (at best) product year after year. And gets all hyped during the offseason that next year is the one. Nothing short of new ownership will stop this. maybe marrone is the next Bill Walsh. Problem is Bill Walsh had talent. The Bills have hope and not much else. The Byrd fiasco is proof the ship has no rudder, when they pass out 8 million for a single sack and 12 tackles. Then cut the guy before camp. No matter what scheme they run a good DE is always valuable. Nix set this team back to square one and the funny thing is he is still employed in whatever capacity.

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst. Any NFL team that could start McKelvin and Aaron Williams is not going to be a good defense. Mediocre maybe. But even that I guess is an improvement over last year.

So Whaley gets the criticism for the Brad Smith deal too? Not sure I get that, nor do I get hammering them for a McKelvin deal that amounts to a 2-year, $9.5M deal when you look at the actual numbers.

Smith's deal was a bust, no doubt, as was Anderson's. We still haven't been given any insight as to why Anderson was released; my initial guess--based on the timing--was a failed camp physical. As for Smith, I agree with the team that cutting one of the only 3 players on the roster with NFL experience at WR would be a mistake at this point.

All that said, it seems like there are 2 camps here:

1) The "the Bills can afford it so pay Byrd whatever he wants" camp

And

2) The "I'd love to keep Byrd as long as it's a sensible contract--and $9M/year isn't sensible" camp

I'm in camp 2. I wouldn't pay any safety short of HOF type status the price that Byrd is asking--that's what bad teams do...overpay players out of fear that they can't replace them.

It really is this simple:

Byrd wants to be the highest paid safety in the game, while the Bills don't believe he's worth that much money (and I agree). Hence, a stalemate.

Well, exactly.

Read the WGR training camp article about this, and what do you see but a lot of his teammates really hoping that he'll be back soon, but also wanting him to get paid?

I guarantee you that if the Bills are stupid enough to play these kinds of tricks with him, it won't sit will with his teammates. Perhaps against all odds, I don't think they are that stupid and spiteful. If that's how you act in a billion dollar business, you won't last long.

Having the Bills sit him the season is silly. Unless he gives a poor effort.

And of course the players want him to be there but also to get paid. But if he holds-out into the season because he's "only" getting paid $6.9M, that won't sit well with them.

Why not say 10M per year? You can't prove me right or wrong.

After all, Parker is a greedy player agent who won't work with the team.

Exactly.

Well, it's generally reckoned that Troy Polamalu has the highest average salary at $9.1million, and I do believe quotes have been noted that Byrd wants to be the highest paid Safety in the League. So if he isn't the most talented Safety in the League, what is it that Parker is going after - if not for him being "underpaid" during his rookie contract. That's how I see it.

At this point, I hope he sits out till week 10, comes in for six weeks pay, and they tag him again. If he shows up like Peters did, he might not even see the field at all this year. Maybe they could put him on IR, or PUP him for four weeks. Rock meet Hammer.