Byrd Skipping mandatory mini-camp

I'm also a prisoner to the idea that cornerbacks are much more important than safeties.

Certainly, and that's why a DE or corner will get paid so much more. Dollar wise we are comparing top of the line safety to good corner or decent DE. We are closer to Ike Taylor than a top 5 corner at this dollar range and I think the value is much more in line. Would you rather have Byrd or a second tier corner?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one player defines the play of any defense. But you can't tell me that defenses wouldn't be the same without Troy and Reed.

OK all that being said, What happens now? Do the Bill agree to a deal to get him into camp that guarantees no tag next year or do they play hard ball and use the tag again next year? Or do they trade him? On a side note, I kinda hate Eugene Parker, Mr "fair negotiator"

OK all that being said, What happens now? Do the Bill agree to a deal to get him into camp that guarantees no tag next year or do they play hard ball and use the tag again next year? Or do they trade him? On a side note, I kinda hate Eugene Parker, Mr "fair negotiator"

Continue as is til he shows up. Odds are he's in shortly after the last preseason game. You don't give up the tag ability no matter what and the trade doesn't happen as no ones giving value for a guy they can't extend til January

Byrd shows up a week before the season starts after signing his tender, practices & gets eased into our system. He gets traded away for a late-first round pick just before the next draft, Bye bye birdie.

I'm also a prisoner to the idea that cornerbacks are much more important than safeties.

Especially in the Pettine/Ryan scheme. The idea is to have two solid corners who can hold their own in man so you can devote resources to the prime real estate area of football: the middle of the field.

Now I haven't seen how Pettine is going to tailor his scheme to our personnel but I'd be surprised if he didn't start with that premise until he has reason to change.

GO BILLS!!!

Dude, please. The first example is a re-working of a back-loaded deal to create cap space in an early part of the deal. This is inapposite to your first argument because you are trying to convince me that backloading is done to make it necessary to do an extension in the last year. Then, when I ask why a team would want to do that, you cite me an example of re-working a deal in the early part of the deal.

The first example demonstrates the conversion of salary owed later into signing bonus now to get the benefit of pro-rating the cap out to later years to make cap room in the current year. It only COMPOUNDS the problem and makes it worse. Which is precisely why teams do NOT do those types of deals anymore. They try to create deals where the cap hit is relatively even over the whole contract. If anything, they tend to keep the cap higher in the first year or two to make it easier to cut them later without huge cap ramifications.

You are citing examples of old contracts that were huge problems that created cap problems for the team, and then how they compounded that problem by pushing the cap ramifications out to later and later years, creating huge dead money if they have to get rid of him.

Sorry, but I just don't have the time or inclination to keep arguing with you on this. Believe what you want.

I believe in hard numbers and the laws that govern accrual accounting. Each example I gave is what is happening now, for contracts that were entered into over the last three years. Despite your claim that the new contracts are different and don't force a restructuring after year three or four of the deal. You can choose to ignore the evidence and cover your ears and eyes, but the fact remains the same. NFL contracts are structured specifically to force either a renegotiation or a waiver after year three of a long term contract. That's just the way it is.

Mark my words, Bills will be forced to renegotiate Mario's contract within the next two years because the cap hit will be too high. Why is that, when it's one of these newfangled contracts that should be indifferent between a bonus proration and salary amount?

To me, it's time for a trade now. If the team isn't willing to pay him or he's not willing to take Goldson money, trade him. Get two starters out of it and be done with this all.

Get two starters at the following positions: LB, LG, FS, SS or DE. Or a starter and a first rounder.

I believe you have mistaken this for the Madden 2014 Message Board.

If he refuses to report without a clause that he can't be tagged again then I trade the hell out of him. Better to get value than lose him for nothing.

I believe you have mistaken this for the Madden 2014 Message Board.

No not at all. I said starters, not stars. I don't expect more than two solid young starters.

he's too small anyway. he can go **** himself.

Too small to what? Prove himself to be one of the best safeties in the league? The too small argument only works if you're not already proven.

Edited by DStebb716

If he refuses to report without a clause that he can't be tagged again then I trade the hell out of him. Better to get value than lose him for nothing.

No not at all. I said starters, not stars. I don't expect more than two solid young starters.

Too small to what? Prove himself to be one of the best safeties in the league? The too small argument only works if you're not already proven.

Or if you only proved yourself your rookie year & the following 3 years have just been ok.

Or if you only proved yourself your rookie year & the following 3 years have just been ok.

So this is what we're going with now? Do people not watch football?

Last three years:

Eric Weddle: 281 tackles, 2 FF, 0 FR, 12 INTs

Dashon Goldson: 216 tackles, 2 FF, 3 FR, 10 INTs

Earl Thomas: 240 tackles, 3 FF, 3 FR, 10 INTs

Jairus Byrd: 263 tackles, 10 FF, 5 FF, 9 INTs

Edited by DStebb716

The funny thing about comments like these, are if Byrd would have accepted and signed say a slightly below market offer. Which is probably what they offered. He would have been talked about on this very board as A top 3 safety in his prime signed for years. And here comes the SB! What a stud and he's homegrown. Yea, Jarius!

Now, we get everything from Aaron Williams will be better (kid you not). To FS just like LG are not important positions in today's NFL. May be so. So lets save the cash and overpay a fan favorite and slightly better than average center? Knowing the Bills that could happen. BTW I really like Wood.

What's everyone going to say when they (and they could) low ball Spiller because in today's NFL running backs are not a hot commodity. It's a passing league after all with big young QB's playing the read option. Who needs a high priced waterbug?

The new CBA allows to draft rookies and pay them peanuts Prepare for it, especially if Spiller doesn't grab 2,000+ all purpose yards for the next two years. If the Bills are contenders because of Spiller I see a huge payday. If the bills still suck after 2014. Anything can happen.

The blaming Byrd stuff is getting old. He's class and unlike 'Lil Donte kept his trap shut this entire offseason.

I can guarantee you that you've never seen me say any of those things.

I have, however, said that Byrd does not deserve to be a top 5 paid safety. My opinion is that he's a top 10 safety.

Ok, fine I will really get in to it.

Name one NFL defense that functions well with an average or below average safety unit? I could argue the entire San Francisco loss in the Super Bowl was based on their poor safety play, and the reason that many units fail on defense is because of the S.

The other important and misunderstood position on the D is the DT's and ILB in a 4-3/NT & 2 ILB in a 3-4.

Name the starting safeties for the 2012 Bears, Texans, Broncos, Cardinals...all had top 12 defenses

I'll say this: there is very much a financial incentive for Byrd to come back for week 1, as opposed to training camp. Veterans get paid ~$1700 per week of camp. This is in comparison to the $406,823.53 he'd be making per game. It costs Byrd very little, and is the most leverage Parker can manage before his client really starts cutting off his nose to spite his face.

Yes, Hippocratic and all that jazz. Why?

well who is going to treat you when All of your fingernails have been removed in a less than surgical manner ?

you mentioned you did not care , but i think that is short sighted of you.

: )