Byrd Skipping mandatory mini-camp

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not if you talk to Philly fans and radio people. He's been called lazy and injury prone. Not all are thrilled with him.

Who cares about fans...The NFL players have voted him an all-pro every year except the year he was injured. The coaching staff love him. The matter ends there.

Name one NFL defense in which safety play defines the overall performance of the unit.

Bonus points if you can manage to do so and subsequently show why Jairus Byrd could do the same for Buffalo's D.

Go.

Steeler D with Polamalu. Steeler D without Polamalu. That's all.

While I don't suggest Byrd is to our D is Polamalu is to Pittsburghs (our D sucked with or without Byrd), the winning the turnover battle more often then not, decides the winner of the game. Byrd may be the best turnover guy in the league (INT, FF, FR). In years past we've had some of the worst defensive game planning anyone's ever seen. Maybe not having a clueless hack calling plays, we will see how good Byrd is. Maybe not, but I feel he's extremely important and a game changing safety.

Name one NFL defense in which safety play defines the overall performance of the unit.

Bonus points if you can manage to do so and subsequently show why Jairus Byrd could do the same for Buffalo's D.

Go.

Ed Reed played a defining role in Baltimore for years, Hard hitting, play making leader. Byrd is not in that class right now. Heck, even Reed is no longer in that class.

Those are the two that come to mind, yes. I'd assert that those guys serve more to augment the concepts run by the two units than play a defining role.

Either way, seems like we're all in agreement that what Byrd does isn't on the same level.

I don't know a safety that hasn't had problems doesn't matter if they are HoF or not they all have problems from time to time. So it says something when people have to search and cherry pick to find a bad Byrd play. Anyway doesn't matter b.c after this year he will be gone.

Edited by BuffaloFood

I don't know a safety that hasn't had problems doesn't matter if they are HoF or not they all have problems from time to time. So it says something when people have to search and cherry pick to find a bad Byrd play. Anyway doesn't matter b.c after this year he will be gone.

It's not searching, it's observing.

Yes, they HAVE gone away. Teams who manage their cap do NOT backload contracts any more, and they seek to avoid forcing a renegotiation after three years with a young guy like Byrd. Why would they want to go through this again in just 3 years?

Why in the world would they want to restructure after three years? For this. Or this. Or this.

Bottom line is that the only thing that has changed is the timing of the bonus payouts - they are usually paid out over first two to three years, as opposed to in one shot at signing. Because a large portion of NFL contracts aren't guaranteed, the contracts are structured to force a decision after year three.

By Tim Graham

No surprise here, but Buffalo Bills fans must've hoped for one.

The Bills and Jairus Byrd have not made progress on a new contract, and he will not report to St. John Fisher College this weekend for the start of training camp, two sources with knowledge of the stalemate have told me.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2013/07/sources-jairus-byrd-wont-report-for-training-camp-this-weekend.html

To me, it's time for a trade now. If the team isn't willing to pay him or he's not willing to take Goldson money, trade him. Get two starters out of it and be done with this all.

Get two starters at the following positions: LB, LG, FS, SS or DE. Or a starter and a first rounder.

Teams that could use Byrd: Arizona, Baltimore, Chicago, Cleveland, Dallas, Denver, Jacksonville, KC, Oakland, St. Louis.

Teams on that list with the cap space to pay Byrd: Arizona, Baltimore, Cleveland, Denver, Jacksonville.

Arizona doesn't really have the assets we'd prefer.

Baltimore could be interesting for something like Arthur Jones, rookie Arthur Brown and a 3rd rounder.

Cleveland could do a deal like Jabaal Sheard or Craigh Robertson and Jason Pinkston with a mid-rounder.

Denver doesn't really have much to offer unless they'd do Wesley Woodyard straight up (but that's impossible with the Miller suspension).

Jacksonville is already thin on talent.

Edited by DStebb716

Go.

The funny thing about comments like these, are if Byrd would have accepted and signed say a slightly below market offer. Which is probably what they offered. He would have been talked about on this very board as A top 3 safety in his prime signed for years. And here comes the SB! What a stud and he's homegrown. Yea, Jarius!

Now, we get everything from Aaron Williams will be better (kid you not). To FS just like LG are not important positions in today's NFL. May be so. So lets save the cash and overpay a fan favorite and slightly better than average center? Knowing the Bills that could happen. BTW I really like Wood.

What's everyone going to say when they (and they could) low ball Spiller because in today's NFL running backs are not a hot commodity. It's a passing league after all with big young QB's playing the read option. Who needs a high priced waterbug?

The new CBA allows to draft rookies and pay them peanuts Prepare for it, especially if Spiller doesn't grab 2,000+ all purpose yards for the next two years. If the Bills are contenders because of Spiller I see a huge payday. If the bills still suck after 2014. Anything can happen.

The blaming Byrd stuff is getting old. He's class and unlike 'Lil Donte kept his trap shut this entire offseason.