Byrd Skipping mandatory mini-camp

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who cares about fans...The NFL players have voted him an all-pro every year except the year he was injured. The coaching staff love him. The matter ends there.

Has this coaching staff even met him? Edited by Peter

Announcing he won't be at camp 3 days before it starts? Sounds like the Byrd camp is desperate for the attention of the front office. The Bills must be really digging in.

Doubtful, simply read the reasons a tagged player won't come into camp. Injury! it's been discussed over and over here. The FO cannot do anything contractually until after the season anyways, except another one year deal. Byrd has zero reason to come in and possibly get hurt before the bullets fly.... This is all that's wrong with the franchise tag.

Announcing he won't be at camp 3 days before it starts? Sounds like the Byrd camp is desperate for the attention of the front office. The Bills must be really digging in.

or just defusing the the situation before the circus on sunday.

remember his agent is all about action and little words.

his agent's next action will be an attempt to use as leverage, that byrd will sign his one year deal and come to camp "IF" the bills agree to NOT use the tag again next year. I would guess that the bills have communicated they have no intention of agreeing to that. therefore, the stalemate continues.

the earliest to expect byrd is week #1 of the regular season. he will not come to camp or play in any pre-season games.

He doesn't get $800,000 per game. That would be almost $13 million, He gets a little over $400,000 per game.

this train is getting ready to run off the tracks, you can either get run over or you can get out of the way....

So if Jairus misses all of camp and signs the day before regular season begins to collect his $432k game day check without doing any training, game study or practice who will be the least popular person in the Ralph in week 1.

1) Brady, 2) Bellicheat or 3) Byrd.

I'm guessing Byrd may win that contest. Maybe Parker but I doubt he would show his face in the stadium. On the other hand Byrd can stand on the sidelines and get the abuse from the 73,000 fans.

The funny thing about comments like these, are if Byrd would have accepted and signed say a slightly below market offer. Which is probably what they offered. He would have been talked about on this very board as A top 3 safety in his prime signed for years. And here comes the SB! What a stud and he's homegrown. Yea, Jarius!

Now, we get everything from Aaron Williams will be better (kid you not). To FS just like LG are not important positions in today's NFL. May be so. So lets save the cash and overpay a fan favorite and slightly better than average center? Knowing the Bills that could happen. BTW I really like Wood.

What's everyone going to say when they (and they could) low ball Spiller because in today's NFL running backs are not a hot commodity. It's a passing league after all with big young QB's playing the read option. Who needs a high priced waterbug?

The new CBA allows to draft rookies and pay them peanuts Prepare for it, especially if Spiller doesn't grab 2,000+ all purpose yards for the next two years. If the Bills are contenders because of Spiller I see a huge payday. If the bills still suck after 2014. Anything can happen.

The blaming Byrd stuff is getting old. He's class and unlike 'Lil Donte kept his trap shut this entire offseason.

I agree with you here, but Parker is what makes the NFL less than perfect. Agents ruin the game. They do.

or just defusing the the situation before the circus on sunday.

remember his agent is all about action and little words.

his agent's next action will be an attempt to use as leverage, that byrd will sign his one year deal and come to camp "IF" the bills agree to NOT use the tag again next year. I would guess that the bills have communicated they have no intention of agreeing to that. therefore, the stalemate continues.

the earliest to expect byrd is week #1 of the regular season. he will not come to camp or play in any pre-season games.

This is exactly why I do not bother keeping up with this thread. There is absolutely nothing to see here. Anyone who thinks Byrd agrees to a contract before the start of the season is foolish. I would bet somewhere between the Tuesday and Friday of the week before the first game he signs the franchise tag.

To follow your post:

If Byrd plays at a very high level he does not return to the Bills and only uses them to elevate his contract with another team.

If Byrd plays at the same level achieved he considers signing a contract in Buffalo making him the highest paid FS in the league, in history

If Byrd gets injured and misses 3-4 games the Bills will fail to offer him the contract above and he will want to test FA.

If Byrd gets injured for the season early on then he will not consider a contract at all and end up a FA where he will do several workouts for teams and likely sign with a team in a market like Phili, Dallas, SF, NYG or Oakland. Teams that over invest in minor positions.

Name one NFL defense in which safety play defines the overall performance of the unit.

Bonus points if you can manage to do so and subsequently show why Jairus Byrd could do the same for Buffalo's D.

Go.

Ok, fine I will really get in to it.

Name one NFL defense that functions well with an average or below average safety unit? I could argue the entire San Francisco loss in the Super Bowl was based on their poor safety play, and the reason that many units fail on defense is because of the S.

The other important and misunderstood position on the D is the DT's and ILB in a 4-3/NT & 2 ILB in a 3-4.

I like Byrd, but I'm really hoping the guys in camp who line up at FS look fantastic.

yes well... i do too.. but i am a bit queasy on this matter in regard to this seasons unprovens .

Go Duke Wiliams D searcy A williams J meeks Silva. anyone really.

Name one NFL defense that functions well with an average or below average safety unit? I could argue the entire San Francisco loss in the Super Bowl was based on their poor safety play, and the reason that many units fail on defense is because of the S.

The other important and misunderstood position on the D is the DT's and ILB in a 4-3/NT & 2 ILB in a 3-4.

9er's poor safety play aside. Which did hurt them. They may have lost the game because of coaching. Hand off the rock to Gore three straight chances and they win. The goal line play calling was bad at the end.

9er's poor safety play aside. Which did hurt them. They may have lost the game because of coaching. Hand off the rock to Gore three straight chances and they win. The goal line play calling was bad at the end.

Ultimately it comes down to that, but they should never have been down as much as they were early in the game.

Whitner had a terrible first half.

Edited by Big C

Oh you are just making that up .

The answer is.. stop the run. with LBs. an honest gap penetrating pass rush and some fat kid in the middle taking on two once in a while for kicks.

Then Byrd would be an elite safety i would wager.

all of a sudden

i said in another post about Gilmore, to some uproar, that Alonso and Bradham have my full attention.

The key considering the rest of the up and down talent throughout the defensive side of the ball will be the abilty against the run.

Branch and Troup could play true nose guard ideally i might guess at this point.

The edit: i am referring to Buffalo solely. and as as compared to last 3 seasons

Edited by 3rdand12