Byrd Skipping mandatory mini-camp

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Name the starting safeties for the 2012 Bears, Texans, Broncos, Cardinals...all had top 12 defenses

Do not have a clue. Let me see if I can name another player on those teams, or just how many I can. Elvis Dummerville, Von Miller, Dansby is back with the Cards, Brian Cushing, that really nice guy from ...oh JJ Watt, and Ed Reed is now with the Texas.

I couldn't name the starting safeties for those teams. I couldn't name the starting much of anything - I would not know. But, what I do know is football.

You changed my post in a quote to misrepresent what I said. That is being a coward.

If you don't want to be called out for it, don't do it.

Simple as that.

As for what it shows, yes, it shows I'm not going to sit idly by while you try to pull that garbage. Glad you already knew that.

According to whom? I've heard they liked Keuchly followed by Gilmore in 2012, and that it was Manuel or bust in 2013.

Search search search for bad things to say lol. Will you be searching for bad CJ plays when his contract comes up. ;)

Why do people equate NFL football players to regular workers? Are you one of the top 5 talents in the world in a $10 billion industry?

Right. I guess I opened up that floodgate, so I accept my role in that part of the conversation, but I think the point is illustrated all the same. It's hard -- understandably very hard -- for the likes of most of us to understand how a guy can turn down that kind of money. But the likes of us do not have this very limited window of earning power in a game that is physically brutal and could put you in a crippled state by the time you hit your fifties.

Byrd and his agent have a value that they think he's worth in a game where the owner consistently pulls in a ridiculous amount of profit on an investment he made eons ago. That same owner - or his representatives - have been unafraid to throw money at players like Mark Anderson based on hope and some decent results in a good system. Byrd has provided top 5-10 results in a horrible system with absolute schmoes in front of him at LB. Is he the best? Not likely, and it's not likely that even the highest salary at FS would remain this for long. Statements about 500% raises are really beside the point. Whether we like it or not, the NFL system is designed for teams to get very good value out of their draft picks and for those guys to get paid well if they have played well. Byrd has done just that, working at basically vet minimum but putting in top-5 play. I have no idea what he is requesting, and nor does anyone else here. Maybe they are not backing off a $9MM / annual average demand with $20MM bonus. If he's demanding a touch more than what Goldson's getting, I think he probably deserves that... And that is a lot more than $6.5MM for one season with no certainty thereafter.

$6.5MM is a lot of money at once, but imagine if that were the last paycheck he ever earned if he suffered a career-ending injury, and then things get put into perspective. It might not be enough for a guy to live on presuming he may require more medical care than the average person. I am not feeling sorry for a millionaire, but nor am I feeling sorry for Ralph Wilson getting squeezed for what amounts to pocket change for him, when Ralph Wilson's only real job in life at this point is to help make this football team a winner.

Right. I guess I opened up that floodgate, so I accept my role in that part of the conversation, but I think the point is illustrated all the same. It's hard -- understandably very hard -- for the likes of most of us to understand how a guy can turn down that kind of money. But the likes of us do not have this very limited window of earning power in a game that is physically brutal and could put you in a crippled state by the time you hit your fifties.

Byrd and his agent have a value that they think he's worth in a game where the owner consistently pulls in a ridiculous amount of profit on an investment he made eons ago. That same owner - or his representatives - have been unafraid to throw money at players like Mark Anderson based on hope and some decent results in a good system. Byrd has provided top 5-10 results in a horrible system with absolute schmoes in front of him at LB. Is he the best? Not likely, and it's not likely that even the highest salary at FS would remain this for long. Statements about 500% raises are really beside the point. Whether we like it or not, the NFL system is designed for teams to get very good value out of their draft picks and for those guys to get paid well if they have played well. Byrd has done just that, working at basically vet minimum but putting in top-5 play. I have no idea what he is requesting, and nor does anyone else here. Maybe they are not backing off a $9MM / annual average demand with $20MM bonus. If he's demanding a touch more than what Goldson's getting, I think he probably deserves that... And that is a lot more than $6.5MM for one season with no certainty thereafter.

$6.5MM is a lot of money at once, but imagine if that were the last paycheck he ever earned if he suffered a career-ending injury, and then things get put into perspective. It might not be enough for a guy to live on presuming he may require more medical care than the average person. I am not feeling sorry for a millionaire, but nor am I feeling sorry for Ralph Wilson getting squeezed for what amounts to pocket change for him, when Ralph Wilson's only real job in life at this point is to help make this football team a winner.

Not for nothing, but I recently read an article from a financial planning service/magazine that said how it is possible to retire at 30 years old with just $1mm. ...

Not for nothing, but I recently read an article from a financial planning service/magazine that said how it is possible to retire at 30 years old with just $1mm. ...

Point taken, but I imagine that the target audience for that article was not a 26-year-old who plays a full-speed contact sport with 200-350 pound superhumans on turf.

Do not have a clue. Let me see if I can name another player on those teams, or just how many I can. Elvis Dummerville, Von Miller, Dansby is back with the Cards, Brian Cushing, that really nice guy from ...oh JJ Watt, and Ed Reed is now with the Texas.

I couldn't name the starting safeties for those teams. I couldn't name the starting much of anything - I would not know. But, what I do know is football.

It sounds like we're simply of opposite opinions

Search search search for bad things to say lol. Will you be searching for bad CJ plays when his contract comes up. ;)

Glad to see you simply ignore when I call you out.

For the record, no, I fully support paying CJ like a top back, because that's what he is in my view.

I you took a nanosecond to find out the first clue about my viewpoint before tossing out BS generalizations, you'd know that I've never felt Byrd was a top 5 NFL safety.

It doesn't take a "search" to see it, just takes watching him play.

Try it sometime.

Glad to see you simply ignore when I call you out.

For the record, no, I fully support paying CJ like a top back, because that's what he is in my view.

I you took a nanosecond to find out the first clue about my viewpoint before tossing out BS generalizations, you'd know that I've never felt Byrd was a top 5 NFL safety.

It doesn't take a "search" to see it, just takes watching him play.

Try it sometime.

What are you even talking about. Do you even know b.c I never said anything to you about Byrd being top safety. Yea keep searching.

Edited by BuffaloFood

What are you even talking about. Do you even know b.c I never said anything to you about Byrd being top safety. Yea keep searching.

Then what exactly compelled you to doctor my post contending that it's not searching for weaknesses to point out the flaws in his game? (Which by the way you still haven't owned up to)

If you didn't feel differently, then why act that way?

If you feel that someone has to search to find flaws in his game, then you obviously think very highly of him. If not, why are you arguing with me?

Ah, forget it, you haven't made one salient point yet, so I'm not holding my breath for one now.

Then what exactly compelled you to doctor my post contending that it's not searching for weaknesses to point out the flaws in his game? (Which by the way you still haven't owned up to)

If you didn't feel differently, then why act that way?

If you feel that someone has to search to find flaws in his game, then you obviously think very highly of him. If not, why are you arguing with me?

Ah, forget it, you haven't made one salient point yet, so I'm not holding my breath for one now.

Ohh just b.c you like other do is searching. Searching for excuses, bad plays and other things. I am just saying what usually really happens when these situations come up. Half the people search for stuff to support the player and the other half do the opposite. That is all I was saying.

I don't know a safety that hasn't had problems doesn't matter if they are HoF or not they all have problems from time to time. So it says something when people have to search and cherry pick to find a bad Byrd play. Anyway doesn't matter b.c after this year he will be gone.

Look at the post above...that's not what you were saying. You were saying that people have to cherry pick in order to find a bad play. I said that, indeed, they do not.

If you want to change your tune now, that's fine, but at least be genuine about it.

Ohh just b.c you like other do is searching. Searching for excuses, bad plays and other things. I am just saying what usually really happens when these situations come up. Half the people search for stuff to support the player and the other half do the opposite. That is all I was saying.

Look at the post above...that's not what you were saying. You were saying that people have to cherry pick in order to find a bad play. I said that, indeed, they do not.

If you want to change your tune now, that's fine, but at least be genuine about it.

Stop changing the subject this was about the post I quoted of you.