Geno Smith "not overwhelming"

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

while I hope this is the case, was Russell Wilson really blowing people away in OTAs? The key is going to be training camp, where all these guys get major reps.

Actually, he was. The Hawks staff were all talking about his athleticism, maturity and poise in OTA's last year. That's the reason that he was given such a big opportunity in Training Camp right off the bat. Each of the three (TJ, Flynn and he split the starts in pre-season)

Ok so lets see if I got this right ... Geno is a bust and EJ is a major talent.

Of course all of this being before day 1 of camp :)

Nobody said that. Just pleased so far at indications at this early juncture. We're aware things can change. One thing that impressed me though was how puny Geno looked next to E.J. in a draft day photo, which means little of course...just an observation.

I was on the Geno Smith train for sure. I do not like what I saw from him post draft so I've got to eat some crow. At the same time I don't think he could have ended up in a worse situation. He is on a team that cannot develop a QB for their lives. Their offense is horrendous. The media in NY is going to scutinize every move the kid makes. He has the worst chance to succeed there. I don't think he is going to get a fair shake there. Sometimes that's how it goes. Some players just end up in bad situations who could have been great players in the NFL and end up being failures. That's just how the cookie crumbles sometimes.

Ok so lets see if I got this right ... Geno is a bust and EJ is a major talent.

Of course all of this being before day 1 of camp :)

No actually, you don't have it right. "Not overwhelming" and "bust" are two different things.

at the QB position I expect rookie play means more than just a little at OTAs . I believe it's a tell . And how the coaches respond by the time training camp comes around will give us a clue whether Geno will get a fair shake to succeed in the NFL.

I don't know, this just strikes me as someone trying to stir the pot in a slow news period for the NFL. If they wanted to, they could do the same for us by pointing out that EJ is "getting the fewest reps of all the QBs except for Tuel, indicating the first-rounder might be a long way from being ready to start at QB for the Bills."

I can't see the Jets sticking with Sanchez. It's a do or die season for Rex. Sanchez would need to outperform Smith and take the job. Sanchez has never been able to 'take' the job in his career and whenever faced with an actual potential challenge to his job, he has regressed.

I see no value for the Jets in sticking with Sanchez.

This is just the NY media machine doing what it does best. In almost any other town, a rookie gets to make it beyond OTAs before he's declared a bust or the second coming of Christ (actually, in Tebow's case, might he be both?). You watch, Geno will light up the Jaguars in some preseason scrimmage and it will be a front-page story for two weeks.

I can't see the Jets sticking with Sanchez. It's a do or die season for Rex. Sanchez would need to outperform Smith and take the job. Sanchez has never been able to 'take' the job in his career and whenever faced with an actual potential challenge to his job, he has regressed.

I see no value for the Jets in sticking with Sanchez.

Sanchez went to 2 AFC title games. He has the most experience and their stuck with him for at least this year. Why wouldn't you start him IF this year isn't a rebuild? If it is, then start whoever and hope he sticks.

Since everyone is coming clean, I thought EJ manuel was by far the best prospect in the draft. Man, now I REALLY hope I guessed correctly.

Of course I also thought Keapernick was going to fizzle out, Russell Wilson would have a Flutie like career, Culter would get the boot in Chicago, no team would pick up Kolb, T-Jax would never seriously be considered for a starting job, AND Cam Newton would struggle to lead a football team.

That my friends is why I don't offer this stuff up for a living!!

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood