The Feds are collecting all Verizon Phone Call Records

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone thinks it's only Verizon's records, well... please contact me about this swell bridge in NYC that I have for sale. The Guardian only got a copy of the court order for Verizon. That's the only reason they don't name other companies.

Over to PPP in 3, 2, 1.

If anyone thinks it's only Verizon's records, well... please contact me about this swell bridge in NYC that I have for sale. The Guardian only got a copy of the court order for Verizon. That's the only reason they don't name other companies.

Over to PPP in 3, 2, 1.

I have no doubt that you're right about this.

Of course not, the Federal Government would never ever ever misuse personal information collected on a citizen! :rolleyes:

I can't remember. Were people this angry when George Bush supported this in 2001?

This is much bigger than what the Patriot Act was designed to do.

I wonder if the victims of terrorism in the United States would agree with that sentiment.

I'm guessing the families of the 3,000 people killed in 9/11 alone are okay with it, as are the families and survivors of the latest attack in Boston.

To answer the O.P.'s question, yes, this does make me feel safer.

I wonder if the victims of terrorism in the United States would agree with that sentiment.

I'm guessing the families of the 3,000 people killed in 9/11 alone are okay with it, as are the families and survivors of the latest attack in Boston.

There's a line between protecting the American Citizenry and an invasion of privacy. The line has been crossed IMO regardless of any invocation of the victims of 9/11 or any other terrorist attack.

There's a line between protecting the American Citizenry and an invasion of privacy. The line has been crossed IMO regardless of any invocation of the victims of 9/11 or any other terrorist attack.

I don't disagree that this is an over-the-top measure. My initial reaction was nearly identical to what yours is. But I keep coming back to "whatever makes this country a safer place," and I think this does.

Come on PPP. Such an issue like this on OTW. We need to get the poison out of our systems and it won't happen here.

This will go unremarked in national media. But Obama and visiting the _____ to speak about gun control/taxing the rich/or how he walked on water in rural _____ will make front page news.

we need stricter laws regarding PPP posts on OTW...think of the children

Come on PPP. Such an issue like this on OTW. We need to get the poison out of our systems and it won't happen here.

This will go unremarked in national media. But Obama and visiting the _____ to speak about gun control/taxing the rich/or how he walked on water in rural _____ will make front page news.

It was being covered the very second I turned on my tv this morning on NBC.

I can't remember. Were people this angry when George Bush supported this in 2001?

Naah...it was never mentioned back then. Niether was the Patriot Act, "warrantless wiretaps", "spying on Americans", "torture", or "Gitmo". :rolleyes:

Why? The records consist of "to" and "from" telephone numbers, not call content. Not even names, apparently (and supposedly - no, I don't entirely believe that). They're mining call data for communications patterns - basically, the equivalent of classic radio traffic analysis, but without knowing who's on either end of the call. And they have to separate a shitload of chaff from very little wheat.

So them knowing that my 703 number calls my grandmother's 716 number (without them knowing it's me or my grandmother) twice a week makes you feel safer?

isn't it more than just area code? i thought it was the to and from number, duration and location, and like you said, no content...my immediate thought was linking the location to the times and locations of crimes....

Why? The records consist of "to" and "from" telephone numbers, not call content. Not even names, apparently (and supposedly - no, I don't entirely believe that). They're mining call data for communications patterns - basically, the equivalent of classic radio traffic analysis, but without knowing who's on either end of the call. And they have to separate a shitload of chaff from very little wheat.

So them knowing that my 703 number calls my grandmother's 716 number (without them knowing it's me or my grandmother) twice a week makes you feel safer?

Your emails are next.

isn't it more than just area code? i thought it was the to and from number, duration and location, and like you said, no content...my immediate thought was linking the location to the times and locations of crimes....

so they have Tommy's full # they see it dials 716 686 0242. What would that mean to them? How many people call that number from DC? Even with Tom's name... they get what? These numbers go in a database and then...what? Tom gets arrested for cross dressing prostitution and in court they prove he dialed... 716 686 0242 but have no idea what he said or who picked up? You can just as easily give a codeword as you can give a weather report...

Your emails are next.

emails are a done deal. They got those long ago I am sure. Google collects and stores all data.

When I get home I am posting the picture I have. Facebook collects all your info and makes billions and the guy is a genius. Assange collects all the governments info and releases it and he is a terrorisit. Now... NSA collects our phone numbers and they are just doing their job. Nothing to see here folks.

how the f*** should i know, i'm not the frigging government? just spit ballin' here....

so they have Tommy's full # they see it dials 716 686 0242. What would that mean to them? How many people call that number from DC? Even with Tom's name... they get what? These numbers go in a database and then...what? Tom gets arrested for cross dressing prostitution and in court they prove he dialed... 716 686 0242 but have no idea what he said or who picked up? You can just as easily give a codeword as you can give a weather report...

Yes, but do you really think I'm posting my number and my grandmother's number here? :doh:

And by the way...it's not that I support this. I don't. It's just that I think Fig's an idiot for feeling safer over this.

Edited by DC Tom

Yes, but do you really think I'm posting my number and my grandmother's number here? :doh:

Damn....I was totally planning to set up a call and tape you and your grandmother discussing how much Fitz sucks.

And by the way...it's not that I support this. I don't. It's just that I think Fig's an idiot for feeling safer over this.

You're just pissed off because I answered the phone when you called your grandmother once.

And you're an idiot for not understanding how this could be used to thwart future attacks. Seriously. I know you're smarter than that.

I posted your grandma's #

You're just pissed off because I answered the phone when you called your grandmother once.

And you're an idiot for not understanding how this could be used to thwart future attacks. Seriously. I know you're smarter than that.

oh my good God, this is going to be glorious. I can't wait...

No, I understand. Better than you. Which is why I'm laughing at your overreaction to it.

Ok I will bite and move this to PPP though as threads go there this one is, so far, tame.

Challenge accepted. Everyone in this thread is an unmitigated moron......

:lol: There. Moving the thread is now validated, BuffaloBill.

.....for thinking that their phone records are anywhere near as important as their internet behavior/social media tattling on themselves being related to their personal info, as well as any other relevant dimensional data, and thrown into a analytics DB. Then they can basically predict what you are going to do before you do it, and either record it and use it against you, or, prevent you from doing it, without you even knowing how. And, if they want to surveil you, arrest you, or kill you, there's nothing like telling them where you are going to be, and what you'll be wearing, and doing.

But keep thinking your phone records are what matters. Keep fighting the last war, you dolts. Don't prepare for the next one. Yeah, keep posting every stupid thing that goes on in your life, and wondering how the credit card companies, health insurance companies, and the government, know so much about you.

Like I said, unmitigated morons. :lol:

There BuffaloBill....that should fully qualify this thread as belonging at PPP.

Oh wait....was that said to...Tom?

YES!

Awesome.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

The Feds are collecting all Verizon Phone Call Records

Federal Investigator #1: Whose records are you lookin at now?

Federal Investigator #2: Some guy in Ohio - he's listed as "Beerball".

#1: Find anything unusual?

#2: Yeah - he seems to be calling a gynecologist 3-4 times a week.

:D