Rookie Minicamp

Woods looks exactly like Stevie running wild after the catch in this video.

Woods is a bit faster than Stevie and will take some of those to the house where SJ13 gets caught from behind.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm trying to keep perspective, as this is the first rookie minicamp of the season, and I REALLY shouldn't be analyzing it in such depth, but so far it seems like we are getting what we expected.

Manuel had some very nice throws, much showed some maddening inconsistency, and is spending time working on his footwork with Hackett.

Woods apparently showed a lot of polish, amazing hands, good speed and looks to be ready as a day one starter.

Woods looks exactly like Stevie running wild after the catch in this video.

Stylistically very similar the way they get in and out of their breaks.

Woods however has a very characteristic "hunched over" running style where he bends at the waist more than most players. I like it because it keeps him low and I think helps him with his cuts.

On the other hand such a style probably doesn't promote the straight line top end speed.

More on minicamp with pictures:

http://blogs.canoe.c...ls-rookie-camp/

Danke.

As much as EJ sounds good, and looks good on paper, some of the write ups are concerning. Here's hoping he can get the accuracy dialed in. Having a smooth and strong arm means nothing if the ball goes no where near the WRs.

How inaccurate can a guy with 68% completion rate last year and over 66% for his career be? Especially considering a lot of the throws were downfield...

By any measure objective or subjective, EJ is a very accurate thrower.

The "experts" who criticize his accuracy have zero basis in fact for that opinion. It was an uninformed view that was parroted by people who form their opinions by reading the work of lazy analysts.

This has been hashed out for weeks here. Where have you guys been?

Watch the videos. Look at the stats. Look at the advanced stats.

EJ is extremely accurate.

+1

By any measure objective or subjective, EJ is a very accurate thrower.

The "experts" who criticize his accuracy have zero basis in fact for that opinion. It was an uninformed view that was parroted by people who form their opinions by reading the work of lazy analysts.

This has been hashed out for weeks here. Where have you guys been?

Watch the videos. Look at the stats. Look at the advanced stats.

EJ is extremely accurate.

All along i've believed and have been saying that his footwork, not his accuracy as a passer, is the biggest culprit when he makes bad passes or sails the ball. And what do you know, they're already focusing on correcting his footwork problems.

Edited by Ramius

How inaccurate can a guy with 68% completion rate last year and over 66% for his career be? Especially considering a lot of the throws were downfield...

I don't know what ESPN "Sports science" segments are worth, but they showed EJ to be an insanely accurate passer.

Imagine our red-zone efficiency with big, sure-handed targets like Kaufman, and Dickerson split out as ends? Now sprinkle in a little Spiller in the backfield, with EJ ready to sprint accross the goaline?

Sorry, but that should be near-unstoppable. I'm a huge synic and I still don't see anyone in the AFCE being able to shut that down. -Not even the Patriots.

I just hope we don't let Kaufman go... If he ends up in our division, I suspect we'll be doing a whole lot of this :wallbash:

Woods is a bit faster than Stevie and will take some of those to the house where SJ13 gets caught from behind.

not just that. sj13 seems to be a great deal slower than most on the field, atleast DB's. he is regualrly caught from behind. i looked it up, he ran 4.5 and change at the combine, and 4.46 at his pro day. both are respectable. maybe i am wrong, but when watching games stevie seems to be a great route runner, smart, and a great route runner, but plays a good deal slower than everybody else. he is much faster than fitzgerald, and i rarely seem him caught from behind...relative anomaly, or misperception of sj?

not just that. sj13 seems to be a great deal slower than most on the field, atleast DB's. he is regualrly caught from behind. i looked it up, he ran 4.5 and change at the combine, and 4.46 at his pro day. both are respectable. maybe i am wrong, but when watching games stevie seems to be a great route runner, smart, and a great route runner, but plays a good deal slower than everybody else. he is much faster than fitzgerald, and i rarely seem him caught from behind...relative anomaly, or misperception of sj?

Stevie has had groin injuries the last few years so that may have something to do with it. Also he never really runs straight down the field to hit his stride he is normally juking or setting up blocks.

I have said since the first time I saw woods play that he was a faster SJ13. I hope they feed off eachother

All along i've believed and have been saying that his footwork, not his accuracy as a passer, is the biggest culprit when he makes bad passes or sails the ball. And what do you know, they're already focusing on correcting his footwork problems.

That does seem to be what they have him working on first. From the reports we've heard two days in, that seems to be the big problem. That this seems to be a known quantity is slightly reassuring, but it looks like Manuel is going to need a lot of polishing.

Day 2 notes: http://www.buffalobi...=tw_buf_article

Woods is gonna be a player. And the long ball to Goodwin (or TJ) could be awesome when EJ gets on the field...

Thanks for the link. It does seem like our WR corps is making a lot of strides.

That does seem to be what they have him working on first. From the reports we've heard two days in, that seems to be the big problem. That this seems to be a known quantity is slightly reassuring, but it looks like Manuel is going to need a lot of polishing.

I'd rather they/us/everyone need to worry about his feet instead of worrying about his arm strength/accuracy/etc.

I know fixing his feet might hurt his accuracy but I really do prefer that to be his biggest problem to address.

How many times did Stevie get the ball thrown accurately to him, in stride, so he could outrun defenders? I bet I could count it on one hand.

I was caught off guard by Goodwins number...88, usally TE wear those numbers. :)

Meanwhile six of his rookie teammates are wearing numbers below 20.

Goodwin wore #84 at Texas. Scott Chandler wears that number for the Bills.

Stevie has had groin injuries the last few years so that may have something to do with it. Also he never really runs straight down the field to hit his stride he is normally juking or setting up blocks.

Assuming (I know) that Stevie gets a lot more support from the other wideouts than he has in the past, hopefully he'll be more healthy than he's been and maybe even run faster than we've seen.

Assuming (I know) that Stevie gets a lot more support from the other wideouts than he has in the past, hopefully he'll be more healthy than he's been and maybe even run faster than we've seen.

SJ's been on a killer off-season workout regiment. -He should look sharp as a tack out there. He may also be feeling the threat of becoming a #2 or even #3 reciever... That should push him, and everyone else to even higher heights.

I know It's early, but this could end up being one of the sickest WR corps in the league. These kids seem to have very high ceilings.