Rd 1, Pick #16: QB EJ Manuel - Florida St.

SDS

If Manuel was the QB with the most potential according to the Bills scouts then it was a perfectly reasonable pick. Listening to too much of "the experts" can completely mess with your reality. After all, can any of them guarantee that NO ONE would take Manuel between 17 and 41(the Bills next pick)? Just sayin. I heard a good analogy earlier by someone about it being the dude gambling. Ignoring uncertainty to try maximize efficiency creates alot risk. GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah right, all the teams wanted the 5th rated QB in the draft...

Seriously, I like the player, just not where he was picked. This team still has way to many holes to be selecting a developmental QB in the first round. EJ just might need to sit for a year.

It doesn't have to be all of the teams. It only has to be 1 other team. Doesn't seeing Barkley and nassib still around tell you that the "gurus" rankings were wrong? Or do you still think Manuel would be on the board because he was ranked lower than those guys?

You are right, Nassib and Barkley might be more NFL ready to start then EJ currently is, and those guys are still there in the 4th round.

I think the actual nfl gms have disagreed with your premise. If they were they would be off the board before the 4th round! The. 4th. Round. Let that sink in. The kiper's and mcshay's told you one thing and actual nfl gms told you another.

I deleted the rest of your post bc it wasn't worth responding to. It was just filled with you assuming this coaching staff would fail just like the other ones. That this coaching staff would make all the wrong decision. That these people hired to work in the nfl know less than you.

You can waste time all you want by debating that he would or wouldn't have been there at 41 or later, but two things are certain. The Bills got their man and he's the next QB of The Buffalo Bills.

Welcome aboard EJ. Best wishes for your career here in Buffalo. Let's get to work and get this team back at the top of the league.

Sorry if this has been posted in a previous page, but it's good stuff - must-see TV.

Also good is NFL Network's analysis on whether they see Manuel as a 1st rounder or 2nd. Charley Casserly says Manuel is a second round prospect, Ted Sundquist (Broncos F.O. exec) says he's a first. Charles Davis also has him as a 1st.

NFLN analysis

Edited by BillnutinHouston

Dude, the fact you specifically set up your signature to make fun of optimistic fans is a dead giveaway. You're miserable. I will NEVER apologize for being optimistic and looking for the bright side of things with respect to the teams I root for. And that's all I have to say about that.

It's like a playoff beard. Until the trend is stopped by the Bills actually doing something on the field it stays. And let me clarify, I'm a miserable Bills fan. How can't you be when we reach yet again?

Dude, the fact you specifically set up your signature to make fun of optimistic fans is a dead giveaway. You're miserable. I will NEVER apologize for being optimistic and looking for the bright side of things with respect to the teams I root for. And that's all I have to say about that.

Like many others, the Bills did not do what he thinks they should have (pick Geno Smith at 8 in this case) so he is having a hissy fit. Typical. Given all the debate and disagreement by fans on TSW leading up to the draft on pick a QB or not, which one to pick, etc, this is not surprising. Personally, I am much more comfortable leaving that decision to the people who get paid for it. They needed a QB, they extensively evaluated the options, and made the choice. It will be an interesting year at the very least, but I feel very good about the draft so far, especially Manuel.

Like many others, the Bills did not do what he thinks they should have (pick Geno Smith at 8 in this case) so he is having a hissy fit. Typical. Given all the debate and disagreement by fans on TSW leading up to the draft on pick a QB or not, which one to pick, etc, this is not surprising. Personally, I am much more comfortable leaving that decision to the people who get paid for it. They needed a QB, they extensively evaluated the options, and made the choice. It will be an interesting year at the very least, but I feel very good about the draft so far, especially Manuel.

Very sane response. My take as well - even if Nix and Marrone went in a totally different direction from my Dysert in the later rounds strategy and took Manual (my second favorite college QB that other folks on this board encouraged me to take a closer look at), there is no reason to stay up till 4am throwing a fit. I am sure there are nuances to the offense the Marrone wants to run that none of us are privy to and they were targeting QB skills required to execute those different packages.

They probably had a general rating for all the QBs and then some very specific traits that they were looking for that bumped Manual to the top of their list.

What is clear is that they got the guy that they had on the top of their board and still picked up more picks...that is the best draft scenario I could have imagined - in fact I was just about sure they would screw up and reach for a project with the 8th overall pick and not swing any trades.

I'm good.

Sorry if this has been posted in a previous page, but it's good stuff - must-see TV.

Also good is NFL Network's analysis on whether they see Manuel as a 1st rounder or 2nd. Charley Casserly says Manuel is a second round prospect, Ted Sundquist (Broncos F.O. exec) says he's a first. Charles Davis also has him as a 1st.

NFLN analysis

Watching the EJ video on buffalobills.com with Chris Brown, it's impossible not to root for this kid.

('Bills Focus: EJ Manuel 1-on-1 Sit-Down Interview'):

http://www.buffalobills.com/media-center/videos/Bills_Focus_EJ_Manuel_1on1_SitDown_Interview/c1862c8f-b4ad-492c-b117-f9392dd8a653

You are right, Nassib and Barkley might be more NFL ready to start then EJ currently is, and those guys are still there in the 4th round.

EJ is a project QB and will need a lot of developmental time to learn how to be a prototypical pocket QB, at least a year or more. He won't start right away unless of course the Bills build an offense (read option) just for him.

EJ might have a bigger upside then any other QB in this years draft is why the Bills took him IMO. But everything will depend on how he is developed. Looking at the history of this team and how they have handled rookie / young QB's in the past. It shows me that they will force that young QB to try and put the game on his shoulders to win it. Rather then building a dominate power running game, and let the QB manage the game while learning his craft, AKA Ravens & Joe Flacco.

I like the player, just not where he was picked

This *developmental* stuff is way overrated. If EJ plays well this summer in training camp, he simply wins the starting gig. In today's NFL, the team will put a rookie QB in, if he is capable of winning games. EJ comes with a 28-6 collegiate record. I don't really understand the *developmental* aspect.

If you like a player and don't want to lose him, you simply pick him at the spot given to you. The Bills risked quite a few times in the last decade and have paid the penalty for that.

You can waste time all you want by debating that he would or wouldn't have been there at 41 or later, but two things are certain. The Bills got their man and he's the next QB of The Buffalo Bills.

Welcome aboard EJ. Best wishes for your career here in Buffalo. Let's get to work and get this team back at the top of the league.

A resounding +1

I said it yesterday at 6;30 am, 12 hours before the 2nd round started.

Your post I replied to was made after 9PM on Friday. I'm sure you were as certain of Philly & Jax's moves if EJ was still on the board.

I hope they don't play EJ a single down for the 2013 season, even pre. The bills need the best qb coach to work with him full time , and watch films to read defense. If they did that ,he's a lock at franchise qb. New coaching staff and play book means veterans are starting over, unable to cover for him.

The Bills added another Kelly Holcomb in the form of Kolb. They completed the other half of the task today by adding the next Losman. Both Losman and Manuel have good physical tools. Neither had good pocket presence. Neither had done much, in college, to show they had the ability to quickly process complex information--an ability absolutely required to be successful at the NFL level. Manuel is more accurate than Losman at short to intermediate passes; whereas Losman was probably the more accurate of the two in the deep passing game. Manuel is the more confident of the two, and a better leader.

It will probably take the Bills about four years to figure out he's not the answer. Four years of passing up other QB prospects. The first year or two may see a Kolb/Manuel competition, much like the Holcomb/Losman competition. To confuse the situation further, the Bills have Travaris Jackson waiting in the wings. Eventually, I expect Manuel to emerge victorious from that competition; and to have 1 - 2 good years. (Much like Losman's good year.)

When I went to Yahoo!, one of the headlines was about how the Bills had shocked the NFL by taking a QB that most hadn't projected to go in the first round. This isn't exactly the first time the Bills have delivered this kind of shock. The Whitner pick was similarly shocking.

I felt that the Bills had a chance to finally find a successor to Jim Kelly. They realized they needed one. My choice would have been Barkley. But if Barkley's arm was an issue, or if there were other problems with him, Nassib would have been a nice consolation prize. Or they could have waited until the 2014 draft. I really thought the Bills were going to get their QB situation fixed; which makes this pick more disappointing than the Whitner pick had been. More disappointing than the Music City Miracle. The last time I remember feeling this much sports-related disappointment was either No Goal or Wide Right.

Maybe I'm wrong--both about Barkley and Manuel--and San Jose Bills Fan is right. For the Bills' sake, I hope that's the case. But right now, my instincts tell me Manuel is going to be another Losman or Sanchez. :cry:

I should be sleeping right now. But I can't, because of the feeling that the Bills once again let a golden opportunity slip through their grasp. I hope, rather than believe, that this is merely a case of me indulging in unfounded paranoia.

I'd like to chime in here. This is a load of crap.