Rd 1, Pick #16: QB EJ Manuel - Florida St.

SDS

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know if "we" like Clark Judge or not, but this is a good read: Linky

Makes so much more sense to compare the Bills' decision to draft EJ3 to what the Ravens did when they took Flacco with a "reach" pick, than it does to make the ridiculous Losman comparisons.

Of course, those who preach the "Nix is a buffoon" mantra will categorically reject the notion Buffalo's front office dare be mentioned in the same breath as Baltimore's.

Thanks for posting.

This quote says it all:

Flacco is making the Ravens look smart now, but they were criticized for a reach when they made him their first choice five years ago. Ironically, like Buffalo, Baltimore bailed out of the eighth overall pick to acquire him, first moving down to the 26th spot before trading back up to 18.

"We made a decision to draft him in the first round because we thought he was a first-round talent," DeCosta said. "It was an easy decision to make. We knew he had value around the league, and we had to assess the league -- and taking a chance of waiting around to the second or third [round] was too much of gamble.

"The downside was that we might not get him. So we moved from 26th to 18th. We knew we were taking Joe higher than [most people] thought, but we had conviction about him."

Don't know if "we" like Clark Judge or not, but this is a good read: Linky

Makes so much more sense to compare the Bills' decision to draft EJ3 to what the Ravens did when they took Flacco with a "reach" pick, than it does to make the ridiculous Losman comparisons.

Of course, those who preach the "Nix is a buffoon" mantra will categorically reject the notion Buffalo's front office dare be mentioned in the same breath as Baltimore's.

People are comparing Manuel to Losman? I agree, that's ridiculous.

His RT was getting beat like a drum. EJ would basically take two steps back and the DE was in his face.

Hope we get a bounce back year from Pears so that EJ3 or another starting QB isn't facing the same circumstances this upcoming season.

Thanks for posting.

This quote says it all:

Flacco is making the Ravens look smart now, but they were criticized for a reach when they made him their first choice five years ago. Ironically, like Buffalo, Baltimore bailed out of the eighth overall pick to acquire him, first moving down to the 26th spot before trading back up to 18.

"We made a decision to draft him in the first round because we thought he was a first-round talent," DeCosta said. "It was an easy decision to make. We knew he had value around the league, and we had to assess the league -- and taking a chance of waiting around to the second or third [round] was too much of gamble.

"The downside was that we might not get him. So we moved from 26th to 18th. We knew we were taking Joe higher than [most people] thought, but we had conviction about him."

This is the definitive answer to everyone asking why Buffalo didn't continue to trade down for more picks, claiming the Bills could have "easily gotten EJ in the 2nd or 3rd."

When you believe you have found "the guy" you get him.

This article is slamming Geno Smith but has a very encouraging bit about EJ:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--geno-smith-s-firing-of-agents--pre-draft-actions-shed-light-on-why-qb-dropped-183846651.html

"Both sources indicated that Florida State's E.J. Manuel, who was selected ahead of Smith at No. 16 overall by Buffalo, was far more impressive in terms of his personality and maturity.

"Manuel gets it, he gets the whole big picture of what it takes to lead a team," one of the league executives said."

This article is slamming Geno Smith but has a very encouraging bit about EJ:

http://sports.yahoo....-183846651.html

"Both sources indicated that Florida State's E.J. Manuel, who was selected ahead of Smith at No. 16 overall by Buffalo, was far more impressive in terms of his personality and maturity.

"Manuel gets it, he gets the whole big picture of what it takes to lead a team," one of the league executives said."

Heard Stephen A. Smith this morning say that he received a text saying that "Geno Smith is on the verge of becoming the black Ryan Leaf." And he seemed to agree with that assessment.

Heard Stephen A. Smith this morning say that he received a text saying that "Geno Smith is on the verge of becoming the black Ryan Leaf." And he seemed to agree with that assessment.

Wow, nice to see that Screamin' A is still on the cutting edge of hard-hitting journalism. "Guys! Someone texted me! I got a text about Geno Smith! Wanna hear it?" I can't wait for the day when he just reads his Twitter feed live on-air.

I like that Manuel can use words like "vicariously" (and use it correctly, which also helps), and is well spoken. I have never heard an NFL player use that term.

I know someone is gonna jump in with "doesn't mean nuthin', it's all about production", and "Fitz went to Harvard, BFD!", but his intelligence is a big positive. Not just for learning the playbook, but for relating to his teammates, and dealing with celebrity, and countless other challenges that could bring down a fool. Fitz never had the physical skills to match his intellect. Then there are the guys with "a million dollar arm, and a ten-cent brain".

We shall see, but so far Manuel has really impressed me.

http://www.bostonglo...5MXO/story.html

In the linked article from the Boston Globe, One scout was quoted with the following statement:

The second scout had a harsher assessment.

“On our board, he has all the tools, tall, strong arm, but upstairs he’s very limited . . . they can’t overload him. As a new coach [Doug Marrone], you’re asking this guy to run your team,” he said.

The bolded part of the statement seems to run contrary to everything else I have heard about EJ3's mental capacity for learning an offense.

Sounds like the stereotypical racist BS I've heard about Black QBs for far too long. Maybe it's me?

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

http://www.bostonglo...5MXO/story.html

In the linked article from the Boston Globe, One scout was quoted with the following statement:

The second scout had a harsher assessment.

“On our board, he has all the tools, tall, strong arm, but upstairs he’s very limited . . . they can’t overload him. As a new coach [Doug Marrone], you’re asking this guy to run your team,” he said.

The bolded part of the statement seems to run contrary to everything else I have heard about EJ3's mental capacity for learning an offense.

Sounds like the stereotypical racist BS I've heard about Black QBs for far too long. Maybe it's me?

Yes, that statement is completely contrary to everything we've heard -- so much so it's disturbing. EJ3 picked up and ran a new offense at the Senior Bowl with a week of practice, clearly outplaying the other QBs. This sounds like a scout covering his ass.

This is the definitive answer to everyone asking why Buffalo didn't continue to trade down for more picks, claiming the Bills could have "easily gotten EJ in the 2nd or 3rd."

When you believe you have found "the guy" you get him.

This is exactly right. Many people are pouring on their hindsight brilliance now saying we have could have traded down again, but the was no reason to. The right thing always was to make sure they got the guy they wanted. Done. As for the second round I doubt he would have got by Philadelphia for one.

This is exactly right. Many people are pouring on their hindsight brilliance now saying we have could have traded down again, but the was no reason to. The right thing always was to make sure they got the guy they wanted. Done. As for the second round I doubt he would have got by Philadelphia for one.

I wish one of the scouts or front office staff of Jax or the Eagles come out and say that they would have picked Manuel at the top fo the 2nd (or even at the bottom of the 1st) if he had been available. This will put the whole thing to rest. May be one of the journalists like Tim Graham or Gaughan should hunt down one of those front office staff and get the information (leaked) out through them. Where is investigative journalism nowadays!

It's better to have this debate with him than to do what Pat Kirwin (former asst GM of Jets and host on Sirius Radio) says was one of his biggest mistakes - the Jets thought they could trade down lower and get the QB they wanted. Atlanta traded one pick above them to draft...Brett Favre.

I wish one of the scouts or front office staff of Jax or the Eagles come out and say that they would have picked Manuel at the top fo the 2nd (or even at the bottom of the 1st) if he had been available. This will put the whole thing to rest. May be one of the journalists like Tim Graham or Gaughan should hunt down one of those front office staff and get the information (leaked) out through them. Where is investigative journalism nowadays!

LOL. Dream on.

There's also the possibility that any number of teams would have drafted back into the first round to take him.

It's better to have this debate with him than to do what Pat Kirwin (former asst GM of Jets and host on Sirius Radio) says was one of his biggest mistakes - the Jets thought they could trade down lower and get the QB they wanted. Atlanta traded one pick above them to draft...Brett Favre.

Exactly.

Why get cute and miss out on your top rated QB by a wide margin?