Buddy = Hypocrite

If I recall correctly on numerous times Buddy has stated one of the problems with this organization in the past is that they would let talented players leave instead of resigning them. Yet he let's Levitre walk without a contract offer. The lack of an offer screams of a Jeffrey Littmann decision (a la not paying Will Wolford). The cycle of failure continues at One Bills Drive......

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I recall correctly on numerous times Buddy has stated one of the problems with this organization in the past is that they would let talented players leave instead of resigning them. Yet he let's Levitre walk without a contract offer. The lack of an offer screams of a Jeffrey Littmann decision (a la not paying Will Wolford). The cycle of failure continues at One Bills Drive......

Wait, we owe Nix the benefit of the doubt. He knows a lot more than we do.

... oh, sorry, I'm in a time warp going backwards a year plus.

My bad.

On deck: Whaley, the next expert who's done all the right things during his stay in Buffalo while it'll have been Nix that did all the wrong ones.

We'll owe him the benefit of the doubt too.

The fans deserve this team for supporting the complete buffoons in the front office all these years.

Spray the place already and get rid of the lot.

Let's ignore resigning Kyle Williams, Stevie, FJax and he did resign Fitz (yes it isn't work out but he still resigned a guy for big money).

But I guess you can point out the 1 time he doesn't resign a guard who said he wanted to test he market and eventually got a ridiculous contract.

How do you know that they never made him an offer? I am not saying they did, but I would like to know how you know,

I don;t think Levitre is worth $8 million. If we signed him for that then we would have to cut money from somewhere else.

There's not a single franchise that can afford to keep all their talented players. Little thing called the salary cap. They've done a good job in keeping Stevie Johnson and Kyle Williams, gave Fred his money and made a mistake on Fitz. Jairus Byrd will most likely receive the next big contract.

For all Nix' faults, you can't say that he's been stingy in keeping the homegrown talent.

I hate to see Levitre walk, but if it means getting Byrd, Spiller and one more quality player on this team for years to come, then it was worth it.

I'm so glad you started this thread. I haven't read the exact same thing you posted here, with the exact same assumptions, and the exact same (flawed) logic in 2-3 other threads that are still on the first page!

Search function man. Jesus christ, you would think the team just sacrificed everyone's first born with the way some people are reacting.

We offered him a contract, he just didn't take it... and lest be honest, 8 million a yr for a guard was not money we really had for that position.

We have offered other FA's contracts too, but we aren't over paying and i'm ok with that. The majority of Nix's mistakes will be erased almost entirely by the time next yrs draft comes. Be patient, we're not in that bad a spot for a team that's is rebuilding and finally doing it with a youth movement.

$8M/year for a guard is a lot, there are a lot of Rhienharts out there, Urbik was just plucked off of a practice squad. I liked Andy and wish we was still here, but the Bucs paid Carl Nicks $8M/year last year and they were still bad. Left guard does not make or break the team like the tackle position. I'd rather lock up Byrd that Levitre.

Think of it this way, you're locking in 7% of your payroll of 53 players to a position that is more easily replaced than free safety, D tackle end LB CB QB WR

Everyone's logic here is flawed:

A Bad GM lets good players walk away for bigger paychecks

Ozzie Newsome and Buddy Nix have allowed good players to walk away for bigger paychecks

Ozzie Newsome and Buddy Nix are Bad GM's

??????

All I hear is how friggin brilliant Ozzie Newsome is as a GM (the media, newspaper, internet, and guys on this board) yet there is a firesale on Ravens players who just happened to win a Superbowl a few months ago. Are we saying that Levitre was as important to us as Pollard, Ellerbe, Boldin, etc were to the Ravens??

Somehow I think Ozzie would be tarred and feathered if he did this in Buffalo yet Nix lets a guard get an outrageous contract and he is dumb and a hypocrite??

Ozzie and Buddy are taking steps that are necessary in this new age of free agency and rising salaries. My beef with Nix is related to his evaluation of talent, not the fact that a guard left.

Get a grip folks. Welcome to the new Capped NFL.

I agree. Building through the draft means keeping your talented players, even letting Rinehart goes shows something has changed this year.

We didn't "let" anyone go anywhere. They were free to choose where they wanted to play and they did. ,

On second thought, we didn't "let" Jairus Byrd go anywhere.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

This offseason is starting off in a similar fashion as Gailey's first year. Save money, cut the dead weight, no big contract extensions.

And the the 2013 regular season might well resemble Gailey's first in 2010.

People aren't buying Nix anymore. And someone dares compare Ozzie Newsome who built or helped build 2 SB winners to Buddy Nix.

Whoa.

Edited by BillsVet

Ozzie Newsome and Buddy Nix have allowed good players to walk away for bigger paychecks

??????

All I hear is how friggin brilliant Ozzie Newsome is as a GM (the media, newspaper, internet, and guys on this board) yet there is a firesale on Ravens players who just happened to win a Superbowl a few months ago. Are we saying that Levitre was as important to us as Pollard, Ellerbe, Boldin, etc were to the Ravens??

Somehow I think Ozzie would be tarred and feathered if he did this in Buffalo yet Nix lets a guard get an outrageous contract and he is dumb and a hypocrite??

Ozzie and Buddy are taking steps that are necessary in this new age of free agency and rising salaries. My beef with Nix is related to his evaluation of talent, not the fact that a guard left.

Ozzie gets a much wider berth because his teams have been competitive throughout the Ravens' rebuilds and he has two SB rings as the front office executive. His draft picks and FA acquisitions have more often than not have contributed to the team's success. So when Ravens say their curent purge is part of a plan, you tend to believe it because they've done it before and remained at the top.

Buddy on the other hand speaks a good game.

How do you know that they never made him an offer? I am not saying they did, but I would like to know how you know,

I don;t think Levitre is worth $8 million. If we signed him for that then we would have to cut money from somewhere else.

Levitre and/or his agent put that news out several days prior to his having signed elsewhere.

Otherwise, who cares what you think a top-notch OG is worth, it's market value. So your, or anyone else's opinion in the matter, is irrelevant.

What, if you don't think that a 2013 Chevy Silverado is worth say $38K, what, you buy a cheaper half-size truck and convince yourself that you can do the same with it?

There's not a single franchise that can afford to keep all their talented players. Little thing called the salary cap. They've done a good job in keeping Stevie Johnson and Kyle Williams, gave Fred his money and made a mistake on Fitz. Jairus Byrd will most likely receive the next big contract.

For all Nix' faults, you can't say that he's been stingy in keeping the homegrown talent.

I hate to see Levitre walk, but if it means getting Byrd, Spiller and one more quality player on this team for years to come, then it was worth it.

Who says it means that? That's pure speculation.

What isn't speculation is that Nix took a team better than it is now and has rendered it to be horrid. That's a fact. Defend him as you may/wish, but there are no excuses.

Edited by TaskersGhost

It said in any number of articles that "The Bills along with 4 other teams were interested in signing Andy" but if you look at the offer that the Titans gave him i for one am glad & didn't think that the Bills would give him that kind of crazy money !

We have other positions that we can use that money for & be better served for it !! So hypocrite i don't think so !!!

??????

Please don't ever compare Buddy Nix to Ozzie Newsome. Buddy is among the most incompetent GMs in NFL history and Ozzie is among the best ever. The time to sign Levitre an Byrd was last year before they became free agents. We wasted too much cap dollars on bad contracts for Kelsay, M Anderson, Fitz etc. Next year we will probably lose Wood and Byrd..

And yet another thread...

LOL ... I'm tellin' ya.

Meanwhile, Levitre's done more than Mario, and yet everyone was haling Nix's Mario signing last year.

It's incomprehensible.

Again, the fans, particularly the ones that spend much of their lives in forums, deserve this team.

LOL ... I'm tellin' ya.

Meanwhile, Levitre's done more than Mario, and yet everyone was haling Nix's Mario signing last year.

It's incomprehensible.

Again, the fans, particularly the ones that spend much of their lives in forums, deserve this team.

According to whom and by what criteria?

GO BILLS!!!

Another Levitre thread? Can we please stop this nonsense. Levitre was a good serviceable player. He never made the Pro Bowl. He was durable, but was he worth $8 million a year? Absolutely not. Tennessee overpaid. Guards are a dime a dozen and you have to choose your battles. This team has more holes to fill and the money will be better spent elsewhere.

I don't know. I know that Tim Graham reported in the days leading up to free agency he spoke with Levitre and he said he had not received an offer from the BIlls. If they did make him an offer which I suspect they did not why would you wait until a mere days before free agency begins. This is a guy you lock up a year before he is able to hit the market but these are the Bills we are talking about.

Let's ignore resigning Kyle Williams, Stevie, FJax and he did resign Fitz (yes it isn't work out but he still resigned a guy for big money).

But I guess you can point out the 1 time he doesn't resign a guard who said he wanted to test he market and eventually got a ridiculous contract.

Exactly right.

Many more hypocrites here than OBD.

I don't know. I know that Tim Graham reported in the days leading up to free agency he spoke with Levitre and he said he had not received an offer from the BIlls. If they did make him an offer which I suspect they did not why would you wait until a mere days before free agency begins. This is a guy you lock up a year before he is able to hit the market but these are the Bills we are talking about.

What should the Bills have offered Levitre and when? Last year? Levitre said he was looking forward to this "once in a lifetime opporutunity on more than one occiasion? So, given that, what could the Bills have offered to get him to forego that ONE chance?

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Please don't ever compare Buddy Nix to Ozzie Newsome. Buddy is among the most incompetent GMs in NFL history and Ozzie is among the best ever. The time to sign Levitre an Byrd was last year before they became free agents. We wasted too much cap dollars on bad contracts for Kelsay, M Anderson, Fitz etc. Next year we will probably lose Wood and Byrd..

You are correct!!!!!

The fact that Ozzie allows multiple, talented players to walk and get big contracts elsewhere demonstrates the flawed logic of the original post. Buddy has done the same thing. Yet Ozzie is seen as a genius and Buddy is seen as a dolt.

I hit on the real issue originally as did GG - Buddy is not a great evaluator of talent.

I agree with you.

Levitre was probably the best, most versatile, healthiest o-linemen we have had in a decade. The Bills "department of football metrics" could have also read football outsiders and learned that quantitatively he is one of the best linemen in the NFL (if they couldn't figure that out by simply watching him play).

This is exactly the kind of player that you at least try to keep. That they didn't bother trying to do so last year was just a bad lapse in judgment.

This theory has been debunked. Both sides knew long ago that Levitre's price tag was more than the Bills wanted to pay. Everybody says, "lock him up a year ago" but it's just not that simple.

From Levitre's interview with the San Diego press:

"The money they had to spend and the market money my agent had me at didn't match up," Levitre said of failed negotiations.

My point is you don't let your talented players get to free agency because everyone is overpaid in free agency. You lock them up a year before they reach free agency.

Again, what should the Bills have offered to get Levitre to forego his "once in a lifetime opportunity"? What dollar amount would have satisfied him enough to give up that ONE chance that he said on multiple occasions he was looking forward to? Unless it was top G money, Levirtre AND his agent, would have been stupid to even consider it and the Bills would have been stupid to offer top G money.

You don't "let" your good players get to free agency? You mean like Byrd?

GO BILLS!!!

My point is you don't let your talented players get to free agency because everyone is overpaid in free agency. You lock them up a year before they reach free agency.

You realize how naive that statement is, right? You don't believe the player's agent has already looked at the landscape of who will be available when his client hits the market, and already has an idea of the contract $$ he'll be seeking?

Please.

This theory has been debunked. Both sides knew long ago that Levitre's price tag was more than the Bills wanted to pay. Everybody says, "lock him up a year ago" but it's just not that simple.

From Levitre's interview with the San Diego press:

"The money they had to spend and the market money my agent had me at didn't match up," Levitre said of failed negotiations.

Wow, what a shocker! I swear, fans on this board have never witnessed how this game is played.

GO BILLS!!!

I have zero faith in Nix, in fact if he isn't the worst GM in the league, he is certainly in the discussion. I don't however have a problem with them not pay Levitre that much money. If he was that steady and was a left tackle, it would be different, but they have too many holes to spend the cap money on, if they do indeed spend it. Guards can be replaced for alot less money.

Rehashed over and over again, can we get over it? ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ