OL in first round

After reading many posts, mocks, and player evaluations I am coming around to the idea that the BPA will be an offensive lineman. Unless Millner somehow drops to #8, Warmack or one of the OT's should be our pick. Patterson may be a one year wonder. Jordan may be Maybin. He may be Charles Haley. This team needs to finish fixing the offensive line especially if Levitre leaves. In fact if Millner makes it to #8 that would be a wonderful trade down opportunity. I'm drinking the Kool-aid on a LT and moving Glenn to RT. There is no WR or QB worthy of #8 including Smith and Barkely. Maybe Jones at OLB instead but as of now I think it will be offensive line.

I would agree. Regardless of what Levitre does, there is a need for a OT.

This is supposed to be a deep draft re: O line, so maybe the Bills could even trade down and still get an OT?

They need extra picks, and an OT, and this would address both.

If Jarvis Jones or Geno Smith drop to us, we should take one of them, no questions asked IMO. Smith is the best QB IMO. While waiting til next year might be a better option, I feel that Geno's upside is pretty high and can't passed on. Jones is a monster. Period. He doesn't work out and has spinal problems. It's a bit scary, I agree. But I just love watching him play and he's better in coverage that most think. A difference maker IMO. Geno or Jarvis. I just don't want to address the OL with the 8th pick this year.

I think CJ Spiller would be the happiest man in world if we did pick Chance Warmack. Fred Jackson would grin too.....

He would be the best player on the board regardless of need. the Bills have a history of taking the BPA.

The more I think about it the more I like it, even if Levitre stays. The best chance the Bills to win with the running game. No matter who is the QB.

I would not be mad about if we the did it.

Glenn, Levitre, Wood, Warmack, Harrison . Somehow I don't think 3 and 1 would not be a problem :)

I'm OK with any of the 4 OL and prolly 1 of the 2 QBs. Milliner, Patterson and Jordan do nothing for me.

Not to change the subject of my own thread, but Milliner looks like a legit top 10 if not top 5 pick. 6-1 DB with good speed from the SEC. Agree on Jordan. He has never played OLB at Oregon, never rushed from a two point stance, and does not play the run well. He is more likely to be Maybin or Gholston than Von Miller.

Not to change the subject of my own thread, but Milliner looks like a legit top 10 if not top 5 pick. 6-1 DB with good speed from the SEC. Agree on Jordan. He has never played OLB at Oregon, never rushed from a two point stance, and does not play the run well. He is more likely to be Maybin or Gholston than Von Miller.

I hear you. And I agree. But you can't commit a 1st and a 4th last year, then go right back with a 1st this year for ANOTHER CB. The holes elsewhere are just too deep.

If they DID go with Milliner, he better be the next Revis and nothing less.

We have an OL. We have squat for QB and Lbs as all as a paper thin DB squad.

I wouldn't be so sure....did you happen to watch our RT position this season? Not too great. Besides, it's all about BPA in round 1. I would say Milliner, Jones, Geno, or best OT available. If we do lose Levitre, Warmack should be considered as well.

I wouldn't be so sure....did you happen to watch our RT position this season? Not too great. Besides, it's all about BPA in round 1. I would say Milliner, Jones, Geno, or best OT available. If we do lose Levitre, Warmack should be considered as well.

I get what you're saying. Truth is I couldn't concentrate on the RT play because I was distracted by the QB missing open receivers and tossing game ending picks and our D giving up 200 yds on the ground every week.

Offense is everything - so I kind og agree with this mock pick if it plays out that Geno Smith QB West Virginia to the Cardinals & #7

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-drafts/daniel-jeremiah/165256

#8 Lane Johnson OT Oklahoma

Selecting Johnson would allow the Bills to slide Cordy Glenn to right tackle, where he could quickly establish himself as an annual Pro Bowler. Johnson put together one of the best O-lineman workouts I've ever seen. However, he isn't just a workout wonder; there is plenty of good tape to support his status as a top-10 pick in this draft.

#9 Jarvis Jones OLB Georgia to the Jets

Improving the pass rush is a priority for the Jets. If Jones checks out medically, he's the most polished edge rusher in the draft. I wouldn't be shocked if the Jets decided to look at a receiver in this spot.

I am of the opinion with the speed of the game in the NFL, a quarter of a second more time in the pocket gives more time on the follow through when throwing a pass, thus lowering missing wide open receivers, and game ending picks. If I get a shot at one of the three top tackles, the card goes to the table.

This years draft is such a cluster of middle of the road guys & no elite talent at the skill positions i just don't have a clue what i would do .

But come draft day i know there will be a bunch of pissed off Bills fans no matter who Buddy takes !!

After reading many posts, mocks, and player evaluations I am coming around to the idea that the BPA will be an offensive lineman. Unless Millner somehow drops to #8, Warmack or one of the OT's should be our pick. Patterson may be a one year wonder. Jordan may be Maybin. He may be Charles Haley. This team needs to finish fixing the offensive line especially if Levitre leaves. In fact if Millner makes it to #8 that would be a wonderful trade down opportunity. I'm drinking the Kool-aid on a LT and moving Glenn to RT. There is no WR or QB worthy of #8 including Smith and Barkely. Maybe Jones at OLB instead but as of now I think it will be offensive line.

I think you are right, if we go with the best player available. There are two very exceptional left tackle prospects and Warmack who are possible all pro contenders out of the box. Based only on immediate need I think we might get the very best linebacker available. You are also right about Millner. All in all we afre going to have some outstanding players to choose from at 8. All of this leads me to believe we are not going to do a reach for a quarterback in round one but rather grab one with our second pick.

It's likely that the best player available at 8 will be an O-lineman. Maybe even the top 3 players available at that spot. 3 elite OT prospects, and 2 elite OG prospects. I don't think our O-line is better than many other spots on this team, and without Levitre it is one of the worst.

Do we really want a rookie QB playing behind a mediocre O-line? I think it may be the #2 priority behind picking the right QB... is allowing him to develop rather than run. If O-line ends up BPA there, I hope they do it.

With 3 premier OT prospects available this year and it being such a coveted position, the Bills might actually have some trade options at #8.

If Smith (the only QB ranked in the top 30 or so) does not fall to 8, then I think the Bills could pick up a quality tackle or an impact guard like Chance Warmack. You may be right though, if Smith is not there at 8 the Bills may be able to swing a trade for a team desperate for one of the top O-Linemen and pick up a late 1st and an additional 2nd rounder. With the number of holes to fill and what little separates the 2nd round talent, it would be nice to have some additional picks, but I do not recall a Buddy draft where he did a lot of wheeling and dealing (assuming Buddy is actually at the controls of this upcoming draft and that he does not take more of a back seat).

I wonder about the Star kid and his heart condition - is there any interventional procedure to repair it? Was a 1st or 2nd pick talent till that issue was found - it's a shame if there are no options for this kid who you know has worked hard to get to the level he did.

I get what you're saying. Truth is I couldn't concentrate on the RT play because I was distracted by the QB missing open receivers and tossing game ending picks and our D giving up 200 yds on the ground every week.

haha....you make a good point. Also, you nearly made me spit up my morning coffee all over my keyboard :lol:

I certainly get the urgency to address LB/QB in the early rounds, unfortunately I don't see a LB or QB worth taking with the #8 pick (with the exception if Geno Smith). I see the "good value" picks in the top 10 being OL and DL. I think we're pretty well set at DL, so unless a guy like Milliner or Geno slides to #8, I could definitely see the Bills taking a bookend OT. That would solidify the position for the next 5-6 years. JMO :thumbsup:

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

haha....you make a good point. Also, you nearly made me spit up my morning coffee all over my keyboard :lol:

I certainly get the urgency to address LB/QB in the early rounds, unfortunately I don't see a LB or QB worth taking with the #8 pick (with the exception if Geno Smith). I see the "good value" picks in the top 10 being OL and DL. I think we're pretty well set at DL, so unless a guy like Milliner or Geno slides to #8, I could definitely see the Bills taking a bookend OT. That would solidify the position for the next 5-6 years. JMO :thumbsup:

I just think Cordy will be a great LT and why move him? Trade down and grab a RT later on. If no Geno I'm thinking we should take a chance with Barkley. If not, trade down with someone wanting a LT.

I like the idea. There are a few premier OL players available. It appears to be the only position with a few people worthy of a top 10 pick (high likelihood of instant impact for your team). It also, as others have indicated, allows us to run the ball on other teams. This would be great for Fitz, TJ, or our rookie QB. Spiller would have a great year, Jackson would have a great year, and we could keep our D off the field, allowing them to go all out when on the field.

I think OL in round 1.

QB in RD 2. (Barkley and/or Smith may be here, if not, Wilson or EJ).

WR in RD 3. Swoope hopefully.

LB in RD 4 (hopefully Thomas from Stanford)

LB in RD 5

WR in RD 6.

It's likely that the best player available at 8 will be an O-lineman. Maybe even the top 3 players available at that spot. 3 elite OT prospects, and 2 elite OG prospects. I don't think our O-line is better than many other spots on this team, and without Levitre it is one of the worst.

Do we really want a rookie QB playing behind a mediocre O-line? I think it may be the #2 priority behind picking the right QB... is allowing him to develop rather than run. If O-line ends up BPA there, I hope they do it.

I agree. Plus, the talent level between the top QB, top WR, top LB, etc is narrower than the difference between the top OL prospects and the others.

I would be ok with it under a very specific set of circumstances:

1) The Bills aren't willing to trade up to ensure they get Geno Smith

2) Geno Smith isn't available at pick #8 (I don't trust Barkley)

3) We decide that the money that it would take to keep on Levitre would be better served by getting 3-4 new free agents in that will immediate gaps at SS, WR and LB

4) Whoever is brought in is an absolute stud in the trenches and would be an immediate starter

5) we take a QB at the first possible opportunity in round 2

This is the only set of conditions where this would seem acceptable, considering the gaping holes we have everywhere else.

Other than that, we have a lot of probe

If they go that route, they'll draft a T, not a G.

Still a horrible decision. The team has 1 NFL caliber WR, nothing at LB, and are pathetic at QB. The perception seems to be that drafting an offensive lineman is the safe route. I'd consider taking an offensive lineman no earlier than the 5th rd.

I would be ok with it under a very specific set of circumstances:

1) The Bills aren't willing to trade up to ensure they get Geno Smith

2) Geno Smith isn't available at pick #8 (I don't trust Barkley)

3) We decide that the money that it would take to keep on Levitre would be better served by getting 3-4 new free agents in that will immediate gaps at SS, WR and LB

4) Whoever is brought in is an absolute stud in the trenches and would be an immediate starter

5) we take a QB at the first possible opportunity in round 2

This is the only set of conditions where this would seem acceptable, considering the gaping holes we have everywhere else.

Other than that, we have a lot of probe

Wouldn't most say that about any guy drafted?

As for #3 I think they've decided the money that would be used to re-sign Levitre would be better used trying to re-sign Wood.

If they pick an O-lineman in the first, it will be a clear indicator of how bad this "new" regime will play out.

Simply put, bad teams should never, ever spend a 1st round pick on O-line. There is never a bigger waste of a pick.

If they pick an O-lineman in the first, it will be a clear indicator of how bad this "new" regime will play out.

Simply put, bad teams should never, ever spend a 1st round pick on O-line. There is never a bigger waste of a pick.

Agreed. Here are some really bad teams that drafted O- line in 1st rd:

Patriots-Nate Solder

Browns-Joe Thomas

Niners-Joe Staley, Mike Iupati

Bengals-Andre Smith

I could continue with the bad team, O-line comparisons.... It wasn't so long ago when Bulaga was a popular choice for the Bills, why refuse the choice now?

I agree. It's a passing league the philosophy of building from the inside out has passed. Especially if you don't have a QB and have 1 NFL caliber WR.

Agreed. Here are some really bad teams that drafted O- line in 1st rd:

Patriots-Nate Solder

Browns-Joe Thomas

Niners-Joe Staley, Mike Iupati

Bengals-Andre Smith

I could continue with the bad team, O-line comparisons.... It wasn't so long ago when Bulaga was a popular choice for the Bills, why refuse the choice now?

Perhaps you missed the point. The pats and the 49ers can draft anyone they want in the first round.

Again, bad teams can't waste a first round pick on LT. The Browns are a perfect example. The Thomas pick amounted to nothing--in fact less than nothing, as they passed on Adrian Peterson. 6 years later they still absolutely suck on offense and AP is MVP and singlehandedly carrying the Viking's offense. Ditto for Miami who spent a #1 pick on Jake Long instead of picking Matt Ryan. Miami's offense sucks and they didn't franchise FA Long.

Perhaps you missed the point. The pats and the 49ers can draft anyone they want in the first round.

Again, bad teams can't waste a first round pick on LT. The Browns are a perfect example. The Thomas pick amounted to nothing--in fact less than nothing, as they passed on Adrian Peterson. 6 years later they still absolutely suck on offense and AP is MVP and singlehandedly carrying the Viking's offense. Ditto for Miami who spent a #1 pick on Jake Long instead of picking Matt Ryan. Miami's offense sucks and they didn't franchise FA Long.

SF sucked when they made those picks

You may be right though, if Smith is not there at 8 the Bills may be able to swing a trade for a team desperate for one of the top O-Linemen and pick up a late 1st and an additional 2nd rounder. With the number of holes to fill and what little separates the 2nd round talent, it would be nice to have some additional picks, but I do not recall a Buddy draft where he did a lot of wheeling and dealing (assuming Buddy is actually at the controls of this upcoming draft and that he does not take more of a back seat).

Buddy didn't deal at all his first two drafts and then dipped his toe in the water last year (and then fell in the pool) when he moved up for TJ Graham.

I could see the Bills trading down if a team is desperate for O-line help, which is not a desperate need for the Bills.

I could also see a team desperate for defensive backfield help trading with the Bills.

It actually wouldn't surprise me if the Bills traded down this year.

If they go that route, they'll draft a T, not a G.

Agreed. IF they were to go O-line, we can only pray it'll be a tackle and not Warmack.

It would not be progress to let Levitre walk, and then draft another guard, or even OT .... that is just moving sideways. It would be progress to sign Levitre, and then draft someone else to improve the line.

SF sucked when they made those picks

SF didn't take Staley with their first pick in 2007. They were smarter than that--they picked an impact player.

The 49ers didn't suck when they picked Iupati. They would send 5 players to the PB that season and were simply in need of a new HC. The next season that same team that "sucked" make it to the NFCC. So they were already pretty loaded when they picked Iupati.