Steve Johnson lobbying potential free agents

I hope the Bills sign no FAs until June and they actually keep and play their own draft choices. Cutting Tank Carder and Mark Asper last year was UNACCEPTABLE.

Now people want to invest highly in a WR when the Bills just spent a 3rd on a WR. It's just no way to do business.

I hope the Bills sign no FAs until June and they actually keep and play their own draft choices. Cutting Tank Carder and Mark Asper last year was UNACCEPTABLE.

Now people want to invest highly in a WR when the Bills just spent a 3rd on a WR. It's just no way to do business.

Sarcasm?

Seems to me that Stevie wouldn't be doing this if these guys weren't actually on the radar of the Bills. Right?

That said, it could go either way. You don't exactly want to kill your negotiating power by begging for guys to sign with the Bills. I think until they get good, it will always be a tough sell and they will probably have to overpay regardless.

I miss the days when the fans could win over a guy like Takeo Spikes. If there is any player in Bills history that I am more sad for, I can't think of one.

Sarcasm?

Seems to me that Stevie wouldn't be doing this if these guys weren't actually on the radar of the Bills. Right?

That said, it could go either way. You don't exactly want to kill your negotiating power by begging for guys to sign with the Bills. I think until they get good, it will always be a tough sell and they will probably have to overpay regardless.

I miss the days when the fans could win over a guy like Takeo Spikes. If there is any player in Bills history that I am more sad for, I can't think of one.

I'm actually serious. What's the use of having a 5th rounder or a 6th rounder just to cut them, especially when you have needs at those positions AND said cut players are on other NFL rosters. Mark Asper might be the Tom Brady of OGs for all we know, but we cut him to keep Collin Brown or some other FA junk. What junk did we keep at LB instead of taking a good look at Carder. Maybe they suck, but we'll never know.

I'm actually serious. What's the use of having a 5th rounder or a 6th rounder just to cut them, especially when you have needs at those positions AND said cut players are on other NFL rosters. Mark Asper might be the Tom Brady of OGs for all we know, but we cut him to keep Collin Brown or some other FA junk. What junk did we keep at LB instead of taking a good look at Carder. Maybe they suck, but we'll never know.

Point noted re. 5th & 6th rounders in a general sense. But, if Carder & Asper were lighting it up somewhere else you'd have a case for cutting those two. Gotta chalk this up to a GM who has no business being one... or even a head scout. The game passed him by 10 years ago.

Next time I'm in WNY (possibly May) I'll have to make at least two trips.

One for a Hoagie and a second visit for the fingers or maybe a finger sub. Steak fries with both, of course.

Dammit I miss Jim's. Out west myself, haven't had Jim's in almost 4 years.

Cutting them or drafting them was unacceptable? If they'd turn out to be bums, which is probable, it was completely acceptable to cut them. Unacceptable to draft them. It's a bad idea to draft a WR high because we drafted a WR in the 3rd round last year....and the only good WR we have on our team is Stevie? Put down the pipe. There are many ways to assemble a good team. You're too close minded.

If you refused to cut every draft pick regardless of achievement, you'd have a team full of suck. You want the best guys to make the team and you want it to be hard to make the team. Draft picks are great but, hell, Lee Smith was a Patriots draft pick that they cut unceremoniously. Do you think the Pats are wondering if they prematurely ditched another Gronkowski? I will bet you 50 bucks Mark Asper and Tank Carder do not start more than 10 games apiece in this league. Even that would not be all that special by NFL standards, and yet more than is expected of the average 5/6 rounder.

This should be the last time that any of the idiots on here talk crap about Stevie for not being a team player or the type of player we should all love as bills fans. He has given everything to the Bills, even when he could have walked for better money and a better team. He advocated and recruited for us last season, and he continues to do so this year. What other Bill is doing the same? Kid is all heart. Sure that gets him into trouble some time, with celebration penalties, but who among us is not more of a bills fan for "why so serious"? There's a reason why the guy that benched stevie is gone and stevie is still here, still propping the bills. Lord knows it would be a lot easier for him to complain and not fight for this team, but he hasn't. He catches alot more clutch balls than he drops (3rd down, tight coverage), so everyone should learn to appreciate the talent and heart that he brings to the team. All stevie, all the time.

Edited by BillsBackersChicago

Does he not get Buddy won't pay those guys?

does he not get that it is buffalo, ny he is pitching to these rock star pro athletes who can go wherever they want??

Until there is a QB in place all of this is pointless.

then its all pointless, b/c Fitz in all likelihood is your starting QB this year. sucks to be a bills fan.

If you refused to cut every draft pick regardless of achievement, you'd have a team full of suck. You want the best guys to make the team and you want it to be hard to make the team. Draft picks are great but, hell, Lee Smith was a Patriots draft pick that they cut unceremoniously. Do you think the Pats are wondering if they prematurely ditched another Gronkowski? I will bet you 50 bucks Mark Asper and Tank Carder do not start more than 10 games apiece in this league. Even that would not be all that special by NFL standards, and yet more than is expected of the average 5/6 rounder.

Good post. Late round picks making the team are great stories, but in all honesty, how many of them make it to the opening roster? Lots of teams cut late round picks, and the vast majority are probably out of the NFL before the start of year 2. It's a strange balance. A late round pick or UDFA making the team shows some good scouting. Lots of late round picks making the team shows a lack of overall talent on the team.

Many people fail to understand that there's very little difference between 5th-7th round draft picks and UDFAs. Of all the college players eligible to be drafted, there's little difference between the #150 and the #250 ranked player.

Edited by Ramius

Yeah....it's been years since we landed a big name, high priced FA.

Yeah one...again the number is one. Buddy flat out said we weren't going to jump in till day 2-3 and those guys will be flown in and wined and dined on day one. AND they will demand as much or more money than Stevie gets paid.

Look at someone like Danny Amadala (sp) maybe. That is the type of pay and WR Nix will bring in. No way in hell he brings in a top 'Name' WR and signs him.

Also why would any good WR sign with Buffalo? We don't have a QB worth a damn. EVERYONE knows Fitz can't hit the deep ball for crap. There won't be any top WR's coming to Buffalo till QB is addressed.

Edited by Kellyto83TD

This should be the last time that any of the idiots on here talk crap about Stevie for not being a team player or the type of player we should all love as bills fans. He has given everything to the Bills, even when he could have walked for better money and a better team. He advocated and recruited for us last season, and he continues to do so this year. What other Bill is doing the same? Kid is all heart. Sure that gets him into trouble some time, with celebration penalties, but who among us is not more of a bills fan for "why so serious"? There's a reason why the guy that benched stevie is gone and stevie is still here, still propping the bills. Lord knows it would be a lot easier for him to complain and not fight for this team, but he hasn't. He catches alot more clutch balls than he drops (3rd down, tight coverage), so everyone should learn to appreciate the talent and heart that he brings to the team. All stevie, all the time.

Agree. Let's go #13, let's go bills.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

I hope the Bills sign no FAs until June and they actually keep and play their own draft choices. Cutting Drafting Tank Carder and Mark Asper last year was UNACCEPTABLE.

What 5th and 6th round picks of ours have actually contributed to our rich playoff legacy?