Mike Hermann - QB - RPI

#34fan

Alright, it's not pretty.

He's from a D3 school in the liberty league, (RPI) Competition includes Hobart, Rochester, and the Merchant Marine Academy. Several Texas/Florida high schools could run the table in this conference.

That said, this kid is interesting. Read his personal story here. http://www.state-jou...-simply-amazing

I found it heartbreaking...

Now, back to his measurables... 6'5" 254 lbs, 4.74 40 yd dash... There's limited film on him, but here's a game Vs. another bum school. Note time indexes .48, .59, 1.04, 2.08, 3.30, 3.50

Watch #7 closely.....

I say he's worth a TC invite as a long-term QB project... The NFL may agree.

FYI, RPI (Rennselaer Polytechnic Institute) is a tech school in Troy (NW burb of Albany) New York. I still consider Hermann a local prospect.

FYI, RPI (Rennselaer Polytechnic Institute) is a tech school in Troy (NW burb of Albany) New York. I still consider Hermann a local prospect.

FWIW, RPI is one of the top engineering schools in the country - up there with MIT, Georgia Tech, Michigan, Harvey Mudd, etc (apologies in advance if I omitted your fave engineering school)

They don't have a special "athlete's program" with watered-down courses; you graduate from there, your brain got a workout.

It's a bit like looking at a QB from Harvard (*ducks*)

FWIW, RPI is one of the top engineering schools in the country - up there with MIT, Georgia Tech, Michigan, Harvey Mudd, etc (apologies in advance if I omitted your fave engineering school)

They don't have a special "athlete's program" with watered-down courses; you graduate from there, your brain got a workout.

If your'e referring to Fitz, it should be called duck-"DYNASTY"

Your other info is good to know! -After being dragged through hell as a young man, at least he'll have a solid degree if the football thing doesn't happen.

Absolutely LOVE this idea. But...... then I'm biased since my daughter will be graduating from RPI in the days ahead. Hell yea, bring em in !!

jb

BIG congrats on that one... As another poster touched on, the league seems to be getting good value out of numerous lower-division players. Once the big name kids, are swept up by the media, I wonder how much due-dilligence league scouts do to make sure they get out to the Misissipi Valley's, Alcorn States, RPI's, and Abilene Christian's out there?

I'm guessing often it's a complete waste of time... Still, looks like you could score BIG if you know what to look for.

Absolutely LOVE this idea. But...... then I'm biased since my daughter will be graduating from RPI in the days ahead. Hell yea, bring em in !!

jb

My nephew works in the hvac department.

Alright, it's not pretty.

He's from a D3 school in the liberty league, (RPI) Competition includes Hobart, Rochester, and the Merchant Marine Academy. Several Texas/Florida high schools could run the table in this conference.

That said, this kid is interesting. Read his personal story here. http://www.state-jou...-simply-amazing

I found it heartbreaking...

Now, back to his measurables... 6'5" 254 lbs, 4.74 40 yd dash... There's limited film on him, but here's a game Vs. another bum school. Note time indexes .48, .59, 1.04, 2.08, 3.30, 3.50

Watch #7 closely.....

I say he's worth a TC invite as a long-term QB project... The NFL may agree.

I thought he was the first QB in that link and I was like ehhh but then I saw the big guy for the white team and I was like woah is that Big Ben at Miami of Ohio? How does a guy with that kind of size and arm strength end up at D3? I didn't even know RPI had a football team until I saw this thread. As an RIT graduate I have to say I'm a little jealous now to know that. We had a D1 hockey team but no football :(

BIG congrats on that one... As another poster touched on, the league seems to be getting good value out of numerous lower-division players. Once the big name kids, are swept up by the media, I wonder how much due-dilligence league scouts do to make sure they get out to the Misissipi Valley's, Alcorn States, RPI's, and Abilene Christian's out there?

I'm guessing often it's a complete waste of time... Still, looks like you could score BIG if you know what to look for.

Thanks ! I agree. You'd hope they have a staffer or three researching some of these schools, if nothing else. Heck, they are so far under the radar screen maybe even they could grab a kid like this as an undrafted free agent ? Certainly worth a look as a low cost project I'd think...roster willing. If I recall correctly, Andre Reed was taken from one of these smaller schools. Kutztown state maybe ? Something like that I forget now but he was pretty darn good. Well, the coaches are WAY smarter than I'll ever be so if its a good idea they'll run with it...I hope ! LOL !

jb

you left out Carnegie Mellon (CMU), who he most likely played in college. :nana: I think he'd be worth a look. Thanks to the OP for finding this.

jb

And girl graduating from RPI? That's a celebration of its own.

I can only imagine that a girl going to a technical school has some damn high self esteem. Pretty ridiculous ratio there.

You guys are damn funny. And...correct !! I'm pretty sure there are 2 other females there though. Maybe even three ? Hard not to be proud of her though. She's carried a 3.6 - 3.9 gpa for the whole ride. She doesn't care much about football though which kinda sucks. Hell I'm embarrassed and humiliated I wasn't aware of this Herman Kid the OP put up here. Couldn't get her interested in attending a game. I went wrong somewhere. Her priorities need work and I aint gettin it done.

jb

Any chance the bills don't know about this guy? What round could he go? Too bad we don't have someone connected to the bills to see what they think.

Hermann is strictly UDFA TC fodder... Until he proves otherwise.

We probably won't invite him to camp because our OC/HC is dead-set on Nassib. There's a slim chance Hermann exceeds expectations, and I don't expect Hackett or Marrone to risk it...

You look at his booming throws, and high, relatively quick release, and you can't help but wonder if he might adapt...

I'm rooting for the kid, but I don't think he's on our radar al all.

Edited by #34fan

Here's more footage of RPI's Hermann (#7 QB red jerseys) playing with, and against average high school talent, The commentators are pretty unprofessional, but I tried to focus on the kid's positives. -Remember, this is D3 ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmagIZajY-o

For the longest time, Union was one of the better D3 schools in the northeast for football.

I thought he was the first QB in that link and I was like ehhh but then I saw the big guy for the white team and I was like woah is that Big Ben at Miami of Ohio? How does a guy with that kind of size and arm strength end up at D3? I didn't even know RPI had a football team until I saw this thread. As an RIT graduate I have to say I'm a little jealous now to know that. We had a D1 hockey team but no football :(

You do know that Tom Coughlin - yes, that Tom Coughlin was the first Tiger football HC when they graduated from a Club team.

And girl graduating from RPI? That's a celebration of its own.

My next door neighbor's daughter graduated from RPI a few years ago. Nice school.

• 3 weeks later...

Just updating everyone....

Here's some footage from Hermannn's pro day @ SUNY Stony Brook (RPI doesn't have one, but Stony Brook was gracious enough to send him an invite to theirs)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQUflJxA3GQ

This is a BIG STRONG, KID. -Key word here is RAW. -Balls don't come out crispy-clean like Geno's... Arms got decent power though.

Edited by #34fan

BTW, did he throw any passes to the right side?

I've been searching for a bigger sample of his pro day... Initial word was that he'd be busting TE drills. -Looks like he got some throws in also.

On the bright side, I liked his footwork, and found his basic mechanics to be fluid, and sound. However, to be honest, I didn't see very many NFL throws in that snippet... Still, there's this BEASTLY aura around the kid that I just can't quantify... I see his game improving with more exposure to NFL coaches and trainers.

Whether he ends up playing TE, or QB, I feel Hermann can win on the next level.

Interesting that he went there for the financial package. Unless it has changed, div 3 schools don't give athletic scholarships, they give academic ones, although as all things collegiate sports related, things can become a bit blurred.

And a couple of pro's have played there. Not football though. Joe Juneau, Adam Oates and Darren Puppa. I think there may have been a few others.

I'm an alum of RPI - CSCI '05. The football program there has undergone a bit of a renaissance in the last 15 years or so - they used to be one of the worst programs in the nation. They made the national semifinals in my last year (the 2004 season) - I remember watching their quarterfinal game against Ithaca in an all-out blizzard. Good times...

And yes, there are bogus majors at RPI. The running joke was that all of the hockey players majored in either management or EMAC (Electronic Media, Arts, and Communication). Regardless, I'd love to have an RPI alum on the team!

You are correct, however, given that RPI is a D1 hockey school, some of the hockey guys do get a easy ride on the psychology and business degrees offered. Some of the athletes you could tell were there for the sports, given they were pretty lousy at academics, but most of them fit in quite well.

jb

Congrats on that! May I ask what she is graduating as? I've been at RPI for 11 years now (10 as a student...BS and PhD in Mechanical Eng.) and am a PostDoc currently, I've likely seen her around campus.

I can only imagine that a girl going to a technical school has some damn high self esteem. Pretty ridiculous ratio there.

Yeah...I remembered some classes of 45+ with one girl.

Edited by kdub

Congrats on that! May I ask what she is graduating as? I've been at RPI for 11 years now (10 as a student...BS and PhD in Mechanical Eng.) and am a PostDoc currently, I've likely seen her around campus.

No problem Kdub ! She is studying to be an architect. I forget the exact letter designation, (I'm a blue collar guy !!) but its a 5 year program and she's on the home stretch. Thanks.

jb

No problem Kdub ! She is studying to be an architect. I forget the exact letter designation, (I'm a blue collar guy !!) but its a 5 year program and she's on the home stretch. Thanks.

jb

Wow, nice and impressive! I knew a few architects that went through. That's a tough curriculum, I don't think I ever saw them not working on projects. Makes my time look like child's play.

I'm an alum of RPI - CSCI '05. The football program there has undergone a bit of a renaissance in the last 15 years or so - they used to be one of the worst programs in the nation. They made the national semifinals in my last year (the 2004 season) - I remember watching their quarterfinal game against Ithaca in an all-out blizzard. Good times...

And yes, there are bogus majors at RPI. The running joke was that all of the hockey players majored in either management or EMAC (Electronic Media, Arts, and Communication). Regardless, I'd love to have an RPI alum on the team!

Generally solid school though and as you probably know, Adam Oates studied aerospace engineering there. Makes total sense if you remember the kind of player Adam Oates was.