LAMP: My niece to be among the first women in combat

PromoTheRobot

That is awesome. Is she an officer or enlistee? If a mod makes the request...hmm. I guess it must be done.

Enlisted. I'll post a screen cap from Facebook where she announced her deployment.

And sorry, she is married. In fact she enlisted to follow her husband. How many women would do that?

PTR

I will keep her in my prayers. You must be both proud and nervous at the same time. Do you think she is capable of being on the front line? Not trying to be sexist, I just worry about women being captured. God bless her.

She is tiny. In fact she looks like the girls in Japanese anime cartoons. But in basic she blew 'em away.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

When I did my advanced camp (final exam for ROTC) at Fort Bragg 20+ years ago, we had 5 females in our platoon. 2 were worthless but the other 3 were complete bad-asses. Those ladies completely embodied what military leadership means.

I had a good friend in my Officer Basic Course get kicked out of the Army because she is gay. She was a great officer and it's our loss. We're making progress.

On average, men are better suited for combat but there are a lot of women out there that can do it better than your average dude.

This is pretty weird since not one female has gone through either Army or Marine infantry training since the changes were recently enacted. Plenty of women have seen combat since Iraq/Afghan began. Pretty misleading post.

Good luck to your niece.

Do you have evidence of that claim?

PTR

Well here's what she said. Tell me where I'm getting it wrong...

PTR

She is greatly exaggerating her role in breaking down the women in combat barrier. She will not be performing a normal male infantry role. She could not perform a normal male infantry role.

I am not trying to say that her role in the ongoing conflicts is not important, I am proud to serve alongside your niece, and I hope her travels are safe.

Edited by NDBUFFCUSEFAN

She is greatly exaggerating her role in breaking down the women in combat barrier. She will not be performing a normal male infantry role. She could not perform a normal male infantry role.

I am not trying to say that her role in the ongoing conflicts is not important, I am proud to serve alongside your niece, and I hope her travels are safe.

I don't know the ins and outs of the military All I know is what she says: that she will be the only woman in an infantry unit. I doubt she's there to bake cookies.

Sounds like you might be among those against this change.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I don't know the ins and outs of the military All I know is what she says: that she will be the only woman in an infantry unit. I doubt she's there to bake cookies.

Sounds like you might be among those against this change.

PTR

I am not against the change as long as it does endanger my fellow service members. Could your niece pull a 205 lb man + his 100 lb of gear out of harms way? This is the simplest test to determine if women should serve alongside men in combat. Is she capable of carrying a crew served weapon or its components if the gunner or a-gunner are incapacitated? These tests are given when an infantrymen goes through schooling, not because some higher up says it is okay to appease someone. You should be proud that your niece has chosen to serve her country but should equal rights come at the cost of battlefield effectiveness.

I will keep her in my prayers. You must be both proud and nervous at the same time. Do you think she is capable of being on the front line? Not trying to be sexist, I just worry about women being captured. God bless her.

She'll have just as much to worry about without being captured.

I am not against the change as long as it does endanger my fellow service members. Could your niece pull a 205 lb man + his 100 lb of gear out of harms way? This is the simplest test to determine if women should serve alongside men in combat. Is she capable of carrying a crew served weapon or its components if the gunner or a-gunner are incapacitated? These tests are given when an infantrymen goes through schooling, not because some higher up says it is okay to appease someone. You should be proud that your niece has chosen to serve her country but should equal rights come at the cost of battlefield effectiveness.

I understand what you are saying about the physical demands of serving in the infantry, but my guess there is more to the job than just carrying others. Also don't other soldiers sometimes have shortcomings that might lead to a loss of life of a fellow soldier? Is that acceptable as long as it's a male soldier because males belong in battle?

I recall arguments against blacks, then gays, now women. Change is tough to deal with.

PTR

I recall arguments against blacks, then gays, now women. Change is tough to deal with.

PTR

I don't think that compares at all because those problems were purely cultural, were created by society and could be addressed by simply being enlightened. In this case we're dealing with a problem that is purely physical and can't necessarily be addressed by something as basic as forward thinking.

I'm all for concept of all people having equal opportunities in this world, but there are times when idealism runs up against realism and this could be one of them.

I understand what you are saying about the physical demands of serving in the infantry, but my guess there is more to the job than just carrying others. Also don't other soldiers sometimes have shortcomings that might lead to a loss of life of a fellow soldier? Is that acceptable as long as it's a male soldier because males belong in battle?

PTR

I have no problem with females closer to the front lines if they can handle it physically. I have no problem with gays either. My theory is that if you can shoot straight and pass the same physical tests then I will be happy to serve alongside you. I am sure your niece is a squared away soldier and I am proud to call her my sister in arms but there are certain physical characteristics that she lacks. I wish her the best on her deployment and if want to PM me her units address I will be glad to pass it along to the groups that sent me car packages while I was overseas.

I don't think that compares at all because those problems were purely cultural, were created by society and could be addressed by simply being enlightened. In this case we're dealing with a problem that is purely physical and can't necessarily be addressed by something as basic as forward thinking.

I'm all for concept of all people having equal opportunities in this world, but there are times when idealism runs up against realism and this could be one of them.

Thanks for being better at words than I am.

a simple baseline physical fitness test accomplishes all youd really need for a woman to be just as qualified minus macho perceptions.

Just heard from my niece that they switched her to an infantry division heading for Afghanistan. She will be one of the first women to (officially) be in combat. Very proud but also a bit scared for her.

PTR

I just read what your niece wrote on the FB pic you posted. What a great attitude. You and your entire family should be super proud of her. Just reading what she wrote, I can tell she's smarter than any male Marine I've ever met.

No matter what anyone says, there's a lot more to being in combat than big muscles.

I think this is great on a lot of levels. Great for her and God Bless her.

Peace

great for your niece, PTR, glad she is breaking down barriers and boundaries - and I hope she is safe during deployment and returns healthy!! you should be, and im sure you are, proud!

To the point of women serving in combat: yes there should be baseline physical fitness tests that ALL soldiers should have to pass to be "combat ready" - and this is NOT referring to just boot camp....I know several soldiers (Army and Marines) who would NOT be able to "drag a 205 pound soldier out of harms way", so if that restriction would be placed on females, then all males in combat units should be able to accomplish the same task

NDBUFFCUSEFAN is raising legitimate concerns about females serving in combat roles, but there are "easy" answers to those questions...and it has nothing to do with old fashioned macho bravado of "women cant do that" - we all know there are some women who are damn qualified to serve, and some men who are NOT

In general are most males stronger than females? yes...but just because that is the general trend, that should not omit ALL females from attempting to serve in combat

curious to any military members....in order to be in a combat situation, were there are "physical tests" you had to pass first? (aside from boot camp) Such as, making sure you could drag a 205 pound fallen soldier?

a simple baseline physical fitness test accomplishes all youd really need for a woman to be just as qualified minus macho perceptions.

Thanks. And re: Simon's post, this still is a cultural issue because folks are making sweeping generalizations about women. Yes, on average men are stronger than women, but "all" women are not entering the military. I'm sure some men can't meet the physical demands either but they get filtered out. The same goes for women. Those that can, will.

PTR

I am very proud for you PTR.

I would like to add that I have worked with several guys and known many more who have served. One guy was 5'6" and in the USMC. He probably weighed 140 lbs, no tone, strength, and truly was crazy. He was fired for stalking coworkers (women) and spying on them in the bathroom. That guy was honorably discharged after serving a dozen years - won some service stuff too. I bet he could not drag 100 lbs. of equipment without even a guy. I have seen other women I know that have served and they not only would have been able to drag the guy but they'd have been smart enough to handle the situation. Of course, this is not statement about all women or men, but there are just as many bad eggs as their are good across the board.

It's nice that we're finally catching up to where the Russians were 70 years ago...

And as a practical matter, women have been in combat since we invaded Iraq - regardless of not being assigned to combat units, women in support units have frequently been exposed to combat conditions in that environment. "Women in combat" is a whole great big pile of non-issue.

Point of note: women make better snipers than men. Don't recall exactly why - better breath control and higher tolerance for discomfort was the reason, I think.

Not true. Woman lack testosterone which gives men their aggressive fighting nature. How often do you see woman commit murder?

You' re kidding, right? Women have a whole level of crazy they are capable of.

You want to see the Taliban shitt those bed sheets they wear? Give an automatic weapon to a woman with PMS.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

You' re kidding, right? Women have a whole level of crazy they are capable of.

You want to see the Taliban shitt those bed sheets they wear? Give an automatic weapon to a woman with PMS.

PTR

I don't think he is kidding. Anyway, have her stay safe and open a can of whoop ass on the enemy! She will do great! Be proud!

Here is a little trick to get her good and mean towards the enemies of the US: Don't have the Army install water heaters. Have her take a cold shower for two months... That will want make anybody kick ass and take no prisoners! On second thought, 86 that idea, you don't want to make her as mean as a dog!

Again... Be proud Promo... This is a great day for the US!