LAMP: My niece to be among the first women in combat

PromoTheRobot

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is awesome. Is she an officer or enlistee? If a mod makes the request...hmm. I guess it must be done.

Enlisted. I'll post a screen cap from Facebook where she announced her deployment.

And sorry, she is married. In fact she enlisted to follow her husband. How many women would do that?

PTR

I will keep her in my prayers. You must be both proud and nervous at the same time. Do you think she is capable of being on the front line? Not trying to be sexist, I just worry about women being captured. God bless her.

She is tiny. In fact she looks like the girls in Japanese anime cartoons. But in basic she blew 'em away.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

When I did my advanced camp (final exam for ROTC) at Fort Bragg 20+ years ago, we had 5 females in our platoon. 2 were worthless but the other 3 were complete bad-asses. Those ladies completely embodied what military leadership means.

I had a good friend in my Officer Basic Course get kicked out of the Army because she is gay. She was a great officer and it's our loss. We're making progress.

On average, men are better suited for combat but there are a lot of women out there that can do it better than your average dude.

This is pretty weird since not one female has gone through either Army or Marine infantry training since the changes were recently enacted. Plenty of women have seen combat since Iraq/Afghan began. Pretty misleading post.

Good luck to your niece.

Do you have evidence of that claim?

PTR

Well here's what she said. Tell me where I'm getting it wrong...

PTR

She is greatly exaggerating her role in breaking down the women in combat barrier. She will not be performing a normal male infantry role. She could not perform a normal male infantry role.

I am not trying to say that her role in the ongoing conflicts is not important, I am proud to serve alongside your niece, and I hope her travels are safe.

Edited by NDBUFFCUSEFAN

She is greatly exaggerating her role in breaking down the women in combat barrier. She will not be performing a normal male infantry role. She could not perform a normal male infantry role.

I am not trying to say that her role in the ongoing conflicts is not important, I am proud to serve alongside your niece, and I hope her travels are safe.

I don't know the ins and outs of the military All I know is what she says: that she will be the only woman in an infantry unit. I doubt she's there to bake cookies.

Sounds like you might be among those against this change.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I don't know the ins and outs of the military All I know is what she says: that she will be the only woman in an infantry unit. I doubt she's there to bake cookies.

Sounds like you might be among those against this change.

PTR

I am not against the change as long as it does endanger my fellow service members. Could your niece pull a 205 lb man + his 100 lb of gear out of harms way? This is the simplest test to determine if women should serve alongside men in combat. Is she capable of carrying a crew served weapon or its components if the gunner or a-gunner are incapacitated? These tests are given when an infantrymen goes through schooling, not because some higher up says it is okay to appease someone. You should be proud that your niece has chosen to serve her country but should equal rights come at the cost of battlefield effectiveness.