Donald Jones to become UFA after no tender from Bills

Meh. I'm not terribly upset and we can likely get someone to replace him pretty easily but if your assuming we get through the season with 4 bodies, I'd be confident calling you wrong

Spot on...nuff said. No big loss from an analytics standpoint but this may be a precursor to a FA move of our own.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bring on Dwayne Bowe

Heard that Carolina is going to make Bowe their FA top priority.

Spot on...nuff said. No big loss from an analytics standpoint but this may be a precursor to a FA move of our own.

Exactly... I liked Donald Jones alright (I too think he was the victim of some awful QB play...dude took a beating trying to catch some of Fitz garbage passes), but lets see what they do to replace him, before we get too upset.

No big Loss on Jones, I think we had one of the worst groups of WRs in the league and Need a complete overhaul. Wish we could get rid of Graham but being drafted in the 3rd last year he probably stays. The only WRs I would keep would be SJ and Nelson and even if we lost them I wouldn't sweat it.

This is a strong statement by the "new " regime.

There could be a number of reasons behind it. For sure. And i doubt one them is money.

Love the move and how it played.

One of you gentlemen here described him as low hanging fruit and a simple contract or tender.

Did not even tender.

These guys are not f'n around is the message i get. and thats what i am running with.

Jones is a dime a dozen at # 4.

Also you dont do this without a plan in place. Again guys it's a new Bills. for better or worse.

That being said...

GOBILLS

Just maybe we got a coach that can be a good judge of talent.

something Chan and his staff was terrible in.

I hope the house cleaning continues.

We're restructuring Fitz's deal, as in keeping him but paying less. He is our only viable QB on the roster, where we have several WRs. TJ can develop, we might finally see work for Easley, Nelson will be back, etc.

While we're obviously going to shoot for a QB in the draft or free agency, we have to keep Fitz on the roster in case free agency doesn't work or the pick needs to develop.

How can he the only viable QB when he's not a viable QB?

His biggest problem IMO is he has terrible timing on his leaps, as well as tracking the ball in the air. He's done it repeatedly his entire (albeit semi-short) career. That doesn't show up in the stats but sure shows up on the field.

Couldn't agree more. This is what has driven me crazy about Jones for a couple of years. He just can't make plays in the air, and it seems like that's half the battle these days for any decent wide receiver in the league.

He can get open, and he's tough. But if you can't time the long and or high ones and then outmuscle the DB for them with some aplomb, you aren't too useful lined up outside. Seems like a good guy, but I wouldn't be sorry to see him go.

No big Loss on Jones, I think we had one of the worst groups of WRs in the league and Need a complete overhaul. Wish we could get rid of Graham but being drafted in the 3rd last year he probably stays. The only WRs I would keep would be SJ and Nelson and even if we lost them I wouldn't sweat it.

Have to agree with this. It's nice to see someone that is not enamored with every scrub that wears the red/white and blue. The team needs a major infusion of talent. Kind of what Nix promised when he was hired 3 years ago.

Fire Nix Now!

No big deal in my opinion. Outside of SJ and TJ the unit could use an overhaul.

In fact, I think it is a positive sign that the front office may be departing from the practice of contracts with generally alright, but not great players.

@WGR550

Report: #Bills and WR Donald Jones working on contract extension: http://wgr550.com/Bi...475391

Shouldn't Levitre and Byrd be higher priorities?

I think it is apples and oranges when you talk about Levitre and Byrd. If they only talked to one free agent at a time, they would never get anything done. As far as Jones, I don't think on a "contending" team he is anything but a #4 receiver at best, and he can't play special teams because he gets hurt to easy. Good guy, but not concerned that he is gone. If the rumor that they are trying to restructure Fitz's deal is true, does it really matter who is at WR?

I have a feeling the Packers will be signing him and his production will be going UP 20-30 catches/year. The one area is that he was the only physcial receiver the Bills had. He was important for running the ball out of the spread. But who knows what scheme Marrone will be running offensively.

Not really saying much as the Packers have one of the best QBs in the league and throw the ball 40 times a game.