Donald Jones to become UFA after no tender from Bills

Jones is one of the best run blockers in the league per advanced metrics

This is a major factor, IMO. And the more I think of it, the more it is simply fans (myself included) getting hung up on the term "contract extension" as if it means significant money. The team, any team, needs WRs. We have precious few, with no #2, a fragile, fragile-headed rookie speedster, and a RFA possession guy coming off major knee injury.

Marrone and Buddy Hackett put huge value on blocking WRs in their offense. Jones is good and willing at that. If they really just want him as a cog, and a #4 or #5 I'm fine with it. We need bodies. He's still pretty young.

IF they think of him as Chan did, as a potential #2 starter in this league (although Chan may not have he may have just been stuck with him), then I don't want him. I think we will know if any reliable numbers come out. But Jones should barely get decent money.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a major factor, IMO. And the more I think of it, the more it is simply fans (myself included) getting hung up on the term "contract extension" as if it means significant money. The team, any team, needs WRs. We have precious few, with no #2, a fragile, fragile-headed rookie speedster, and a RFA possession guy coming off major knee injury.

Marrone and Buddy Hackett put huge value on blocking WRs in their offense. Jones is good and willing at that. If they really just want him as a cog, and a #4 or #5 I'm fine with it. We need bodies. He's still pretty young.

IF they think of him as Chan did, as a potential #2 starter in this league (although Chan may not have he may have just been stuck with him), then I don't want him. I think we will know if any reliable numbers come out. But Jones should barely get decent money.

:lol:

Glad you came around, because I was surprised by your initial take. While I agree Jones drops too many balls, he does get excellent separation and has made a handful of big plays with limited opportunities. His run blocking is superb. He's not a solid #2, but as a #3 or #4 he's very valuable.

Glad you came around, because I was surprised by your initial take. While I agree Jones drops too many balls, he does get excellent separation and has made a handful of big plays with limited opportunities. His run blocking is superb. He's not a solid #2, but as a #3 or #4 he's very valuable.

Based on what? :mellow:

#3 or #4 wide receivers are not that difficult to find, just for the Bills.

And yet it still ranks behind ability to get open, make plays, consistently catch the ball, and score touchdowns.

Had a 61% catch rate on 41 receptions out of 67 targets which is either league average or slightly above. This is with Fitz throwing the ball so for a competant QB probably add 3 to 4 percent...

Prorated for a 16 game season, Jones would have had 55 catches for 590 yards and 5 TDs...not horrible considering who the QB was...

You want long RB runs you better have good blocking WRs...

As long as Fitz isnt throwing to them :w00t:

If our WRs shake out as

Stevie

FA

Jones

Graham

Nelson

Smith (note pettine is from the jets, who seemed to like smith and will likely be able to chime in on him, but we will see)

I wont complain too much.

Had a 61% catch rate on 41 receptions out of 67 targets which is either league average or slightly above. This is with Fitz throwing the ball so for a competant QB probably add 3 to 4 percent...

Prorated for a 16 game season, Jones would have had 55 catches for 590 yards and 5 TDs...not horrible considering who the QB was...

Nice post/stats.

Do you find the number of drops for Jones? I have been surfing for a website that has those stats, but no luck.

FWIW: I'm not againts keeping him, just don't really know what a 3 or 4 receiver gets.

I can not see keeping Smith for the value he provides for the cost. I would rather get rid of all the low value/high cost players to free up cap room and dollars for high value FA signings of players that still have a few more good years left in their tanks. (younger players). We need the room to aggressively pursue any free agent QB, LB, OT, TE, WR we think we should target. (obviously we can't sign all of them, but need to be free to at least give it our best shot to sign the ones we target. We should be able to sign at least 2 or 3 if we trim the high contract/low value players on our roster. Smith, Kelsey, Fritz, are all obvious sources of dollars to free up. Sign either Byrd or Lev and franchise the other if we have to.

Edited by simpleman

One of the reasons he's not good IMO is because he is always hurt. So any prorating over 16 games does nothing for me. Plus his catch rate also is very inconsequential to me because he catches so many short passes, and extremely few down the field and his YPC for a speed receiver is terrible. His biggest problem IMO is he has terrible timing on his leaps, as well as tracking the ball in the air. He's done it repeatedly his entire (albeit semi-short) career. That doesn't show up in the stats but sure shows up on the field. He's ok as a back-up. I just don't think he is starter material at this point.

Nice post/stats.

Do you find the number of drops for Jones? I have been surfing for a website that has those stats, but no luck.

FWIW: I'm not againts keeping him, just don't really know what a 3 or 4 receiver gets.

Actually according to PFF, Jones catch percentage was 66.1%(listed as having 62 targets), which ranks him 20th in the NFL for players playing more than half their teams offensive snaps. They list him as having 6 drops, nowhere near the top of the league, tied for 35th. Most drops? Wes Welker, Calvin Johnson and Brandon Marshall. Stevie had 11, TJ Graham 7...

The Bills will not tender Donald Jones, making the wide receiver available when NFL free agency begins on March 12th.

Oops. So much for the inside scoop from 'GR. Sorry, Sal. I like you but you stepped in poop here.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot