Donald Jones to become UFA after no tender from Bills

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got the same text. Interesting.

Seems to me Jones was looking for more than the Bills were offering. By releasing this to the media the Bills are basically putting some pressure on Jones' agent. Take this offer or risk making less on the open market.

Im of the opinion that Jones' value probably isnt very high around the league. I think hes probably looking for $3.5-$4 mill per and the Bills are probably willing to go more than $2 mill per. The question becomes how much is Jones worth on the open market? My guess is he's a 3 years for $10.5 mill with about $4 to $4.5 guarenteed type of receiver. His durabilty issues certainly hurt his value. Had he stayed healthier he might be the $4 to $4.5 mill per type of guy his agent thinks he is.....but thats not the case.

Just got the same text. Interesting.

Seems to me Jones was looking for more than the Bills were offering. By releasing this to the media the Bills are basically putting some pressure on Jones' agent. Take this offer or risk making less on the open market.

Im of the opinion that Jones' value probably isnt very high around the league. I think hes probably looking for $3.5-$4 mill per and the Bills are probably willing to go more than $2 mill per. The question becomes how much is Jones worth on the open market? My guess is he's a 3 years for $10.5 mill with about $4 to $4.5 guarenteed type of receiver. His durabilty issues certainly hurt his value. Had he stayed healthier he might be the $4 to $4.5 mill per type of guy his agent thinks he is.....but thats not the case.

i would guess your pretty well high balling the conversation, but ive been surprised before.

this is a UDFA that hasnt accomplished much of note. to tender him would be peanuts and we arent doing that even. if we were going to offer him 2 mill, we would be planning a tender, no question

Edited by NoSaint

He's probably the victim of a numbers game. Nelson is likely more of a priority since Chandler will be out for the beginning of next year and they are likely looking for a bigger faster outside guy. Graham is the speed guy and Stevie is the route runner. Jones does a lot of stuff good but he doesn't really do any one thing great.

Not need for jones. If you have Stevie ,graham and Nelson Then add one through the draft. We are set.

Meh. I'm not terribly upset and we can likely get someone to replace him pretty easily but if your assuming we get through the season with 4 bodies, I'd be confident calling you wrong

Oops. So much for the inside scoop from 'GR. Sorry, Sal. I like you but you stepped in poop here.

PTR

Why would you say that? They probably were working on a contract extension, and the Bills didn't want to pay what Jones was ultimately asking for. That's exactly what they should have been doing, and shouldn't be paying too much money for him.

Why would you say that? They probably were working on a contract extension, and the Bills didn't want to pay what Jones was ultimately asking for. That's exactly what they should have been doing, and shouldn't be paying too much money for him.

Then they should be tendering him still.

Sounds like they missed the boat and the bills squashed the rumor.

Classic Bills, getting weaker in spots of need.

We better pick up someone in FA or draft someone amazing. Jones isn't great, but he's certainly better than the guys behind him on the chart.

How are we weaker by basically showing little interest in a streaky WR with a penchant for dropping balls or going missing at important times? He has been given plenty of opportunity and has come up small. Nelson is a far better clutch receiver and is better suited for the #3 or #4 role. We needed a true #2 with our without Jones. The new regime looks to have started some personnel evals and concluded TJ and Nelson can fill the #3 and #4 roles just fine. Probably will add 2 WRs this off season - one to be a #2ad one for sheer depth