Donte Whitner 7th Worst Safety

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the spirit of a "A Christmas Story" at one of our late season tailgates, I described Whitner as a "toadie". That's what he is. He is a undersized player with a very big mouth who doesn't get as exposed and will come up and make the play he absolutely should when he is protected by a great front 7. The statistics discussed here certainly support this, though watching so many Niners games the past couple years and having a clue what I was watching created my opinion. Put him back on the Bills in Wannstedt's horrible defense and he would have been back carrying George Wilson's bags again.

The Bills made a disturbing mistake when they drafted him. Bob Sanders and Troy Polomalu were great, frontline defensive players that happened to be undersized and the Bills for some reason thought there just must be more a bunch more of them where that came from! Wrong. The equivalent this year would be drafting a far less qualified 5'9" QB and expecting him to go Russell Wilson on the league.

For all the people who say "hey, it's not Whitner's fault he was overdrafted, we should show him love" it is important to point out that he has never said he was....you know....... MAYBE not good enough to be drafted eighth overall. More importantly, he was quite determined to NOT take a paycut after his outlandish $6M per year rookie contract was up. Much of which he earned on the bench where he couldn't beat out an ex-street free agent...a slow footed ex-wide receiver named George Wilson. The point is, he absolutely did not concur with his apologists. In fact, he would probably slap the taste out your mouth if you went up to him and told him you always liked him as a player it's not his fault he wasn't worthy of being drafted so high. He was just drafted into the wrong SYSTEM, don't you see? A system without 6 or 7 oustanding players in the front...well...7. I really don't get the attempts at man-love for this guy. He was a big part of the problem when he was here AND he was a blowhard on top of that. He is a spare part and he would have never accepted that role here if he hadn't been humbled by the disinterest in him in free agency. He can eat a d*ck as far as I care and I normally don't care too much about player character.

Please never stop posting. :worthy::thumbsup:

The Bills made a disturbing mistake when they drafted him. Bob Sanders and Troy Polomalu were great, frontline defensive players that happened to be undersized and the Bills for some reason thought there just must be more a bunch more of them where that came from! Wrong. The equivalent this year would be drafting a far less qualified 5'9" QB and expecting him to go Russell Wilson on the league.

Not taking a player such as Ngata over DW is more than a bad pick, it is simply weird! How do staffers come up with such an off the wall idea of making this caliber of player such a high draft choice when there were so many different reasonable drafting options? This type of inexplicable player evaluations wasn't an aberration for this clueless organization. Does one have to be a professional scout to not reallize that Fitz wasn't capable of being a franchise qb? Then making the claim that he is worth a generous contract because he has "proven" that you can build a winning team around this erratic player is not merely bad judgment but it is delusional. Look at the Maybin episode. He was a one year college wonder who garnered most of his fraudulent sack stats against a few weak sister opponents. How does a thin one trick pony player become such a prized prospect when there were other better choices such as Orakpo?

When you have an insular owner who has a proclivity for hiring incompetents you get what you should expect to get. I'm hoping that now that the owner is not involved there will be more rationality involved in the decision-making.

In the spirit of a "A Christmas Story" at one of our late season tailgates, I described Whitner as a "toadie". That's what he is. He is a undersized player with a very big mouth who doesn't get as exposed and will come up and make the play he absolutely should when he is protected by a great front 7. The statistics discussed here certainly support this, though watching so many Niners games the past couple years and having a clue what I was watching created my opinion. Put him back on the Bills in Wannstedt's horrible defense and he would have been back carrying George Wilson's bags again.

For all the people who say "hey, it's not Whitner's fault he was overdrafted, we should show him love" it is important to point out that he has never said he was....you know....... MAYBE not good enough to be drafted eighth overall. More importantly, he was quite determined to NOT take a paycut after his outlandish $6M per year rookie contract was up. Much of which he earned on the bench where he couldn't beat out an ex-street free agent...a slow footed ex-wide receiver named George Wilson. The point is, he absolutely did not concur with his apologists. In fact, he would probably slap the taste out your mouth if you went up to him and told him you always liked him as a player it's not his fault he wasn't worthy of being drafted so high. He was just drafted into the wrong SYSTEM, don't you see? A system without 6 or 7 oustanding players in the front...well...7. I really don't get the attempts at man-love for this guy. He was a big part of the problem when he was here AND he was a blowhard on top of that. He is a spare part and he would have never accepted that role here if he hadn't been humbled by the disinterest in him in free agency. He can eat a d*ck as far as I care and I normally don't care too much about player character.

Great post! :thumbsup:

Please never stop posting. :worthy::thumbsup:

Donte got his tonight! He was lil' Donte at his finest. Lot's of opportunities to make a play, and none made.

He is the total package in coverage: No range, no instincts in coverage, no ball skills, undersized with a small wingspan and he can't get off the ground to defend the high ball when he is even close enough too. But, he is a pro bowler!

Not taking a player such as Ngata over DW is more than a bad pick, it is simply weird! How do staffers come up with such an off the wall idea of making this caliber of player such a high draft choice when there were so many different reasonable drafting options? This type of inexplicable player evaluations wasn't an aberration for this clueless organization. Does one have to be a professional scout to not reallize that Fitz wasn't capable of being a franchise qb? Then making the claim that he is worth a generous contract because he has "proven" that you can build a winning team around this erratic player is not merely bad judgment but it is delusional. Look at the Maybin episode. He was a one year college wonder who garnered most of his fraudulent sack stats against a few weak sister opponents. How does a thin one trick pony player become such a prized prospect when there were other better choices such as Orakpo?

When you have an insular owner who has a proclivity for hiring incompetents you get what you should expect to get. I'm hoping that now that the owner is not involved there will be more rationality involved in the decision-making.

If Whitner had turned out into a Bob Sanders or a Polamalu then we are not having this conversation. DicK Jauron needed a enforcer kind of SS for his Tampa-2 and Ngata did not fit in his scheme of having a fast 4-3 DT. In hindsight did the pick go wrong..yes. But let us now kill them for their decision

If Whitner had turned out into a Bob Sanders or a Polamalu then we are not having this conversation. DicK Jauron needed a enforcer kind of SS for his Tampa-2 and Ngata did not fit in his scheme of having a fast 4-3 DT. In hindsight did the pick go wrong..yes. But let us now kill them for their decision

I'm pretty sure that this time the chalk was right-on. Nobody had Whitner pegged where the Bills took him because he was not an elite safety prospect. You didn't need the benefit of hindsight; this pick was questionable from the get-go. A safety like Whitner could have been had in the second round and, hell, that's where Sanders himself came from. Every observer knew that the Bills had trouble on both sides of the line. If they hadn't, they wouldn't have overpaid for schmoes like Dockery and Langston Walker during Marv's tenure.

He's average....had he been willing to take reasonable money he would still be here....the 49ers had a hole at strong safety so they where willing to pay him just to solidify a position and not use a draft pick on a safety or have to use one on a safety. Not at all what you want at #8 in the draft..had he been a 3rd round pick or later it would be a different story.

Any list that has George Wilson ranked at # 10 should not be used to debate any topic...he had a horrible year and wasn't even the best FS on the roster

I'm pretty sure that this time the chalk was right-on. Nobody had Whitner pegged where the Bills took him because he was not an elite safety prospect. You didn't need the benefit of hindsight; this pick was questionable from the get-go. A safety like Whitner could have been had in the second round and, hell, that's where Sanders himself came from. Every observer knew that the Bills had trouble on both sides of the line. If they hadn't, they wouldn't have overpaid for schmoes like Dockery and Langston Walker during Marv's tenure.

I don't believe so. The Dolphins were going to grab him at 13 as they did pick the next safety available in the 1st round. In fact three safeties went in the 1st round that year. How would have drafting of a player like Ngata over Whitner not hvae the Bills signing Dockery and Walker in the FA.

He's average....had he been willing to take reasonable money he would still be here....the 49ers had a hole at strong safety so they where willing to pay him just to solidify a position and not use a draft pick on a safety or have to use one on a safety. Not at all what you want at #8 in the draft..had he been a 3rd round pick or later it would be a different story.

Any list that has George Wilson ranked at # 10 should not be used to debate any topic...he had a horrible year and wasn't even the best FS on the roster

I believe he wanted to be out of here.

I don't believe so. The Dolphins were going to grab him at 13 as they did pick the next safety available in the 1st round. In fact three safeties went in the 1st round that year. How would have drafting of a player like Ngata over Whitner not hvae the Bills signing Dockery and Walker in the FA.

I believe he wanted to be out of here.

good choice

I'll answer that softball (to the poster who ironically was in favor of the Bills not resigning Pat Williams).

Because the Bills used the #8 pick on Lil Donte, they traded back into the first round to address the DT position and reached bigtime on Jon McCargo who ended up becoming one of the all-time draft busts in Buffalo Bills history (and that's a long, esteemed list). In moving up, they swapped their high 2nd round pick and gave up a high 3rd rounder. There were a number of solid interior linemen available that would have helped address the OL situation.

I'll answer that softball (to the poster who ironically was in favor of the Bills not resigning Pat Williams).

Because the Bills used the #8 pick on Lil Donte, they traded back into the first round to address the DT position and reached bigtime on Jon McCargo who ended up becoming one of the all-time draft busts in Buffalo Bills history (and that's a long, esteemed list). In moving up, they swapped their high 2nd round pick and gave up a high 3rd rounder. There were a number of solid interior linemen available that would have helped address the OL situation.

Dawgg,

Again, they drafted McCargo, because he fitted their ill-fated Tampa-2 scheme. They simply wanted fast small-sized DTs. Again, I am not saying they made the right draft picks...Simply stating that Dick jauron and Levy picked players to match their scheme. Did these players justify their selection....Of course not. But just trying to give a perspective of it...The bigger mistake (IMHO) was not drafting Jay Cutler and his big (and big attitude)

There's no need for a lecture on why Jauron/Levy drafted a safety and a Tampa-2 DT rather than Ngata. We all know that story.

Whitner is a mediocre NFL safety. The front office shouldn't have drafted players that were below average because they theoretically fit the system. They should have taken the best players and adapted. Colin Kaepernick didn't fit the 49ers "system", but they drafted him and adapted their offense to suit him.

I'm exhausted from listening to excuses. Whitner was a mistake and now he's San Francisco's problem. He is partially responsible for their franchise's first Super Bowl loss in 6 tries. The "haters" have the last say in this debate and today is their/our day. Unless Donte is at some point transfigured into a completely different player, this is the definitive proof that his Pro Bowl selection is nonsense.

Edited by Punch

donte whitner sucks Glad he got exposed for the whole world to see. Brady must have thrown 30 TD passes against him alone. he'll be out of the league in two years, pleading not guilty in court for some criminal offense in three, declaring bankruptcy in five...

Edited by MarkKelso'sHelmet

Donte got his tonight! He was lil' Donte at his finest. Lot's of opportunities to make a play, and none made.

He is the total package in coverage: No range, no instincts in coverage, no ball skills, undersized with a small wingspan and he can't get off the ground to defend the high ball when he is even close enough too. But, he is a pro bowler!

The next scenario is that he is cut, and says that he is open for a return to Buffalo. I wouldn't be surprised.

The 49ers thought enough of the guy to bring him during free agency into their #3 defense in the NFL this year, and #4 defense last year. He was selected to the first team pro bowl, and did play in this years super bowl.

I just don't get the hate from some people. What does it say about the karma for this franchise when the fans literally spew constant hatred about a player who did his best in Buffalo given his circumstance?

Lets not forget that the Bills under Marv Levy just had just cut Lawyer Milloy, and were literally desperate for a safety. I'm not defending the pick or the player. But the Bills have been making stupid mistakes in every avenue of the franchise the last 13 years.

Thank you. Also, I said a "safety like Whitner," not Whitner himself, could be had in the second.

Let's note:

2 42 Danieal Manning FS Abilene Christian Chicago Bears

2 43 Roman Harper SS Alabama New Orleans Saints

4 105 Ko Simpson FS South Carolina Buffalo Bills

5 138 Pat Watkins FS Florida State Dallas Cowboys

5 146 Dawan Landry SS Georgia Tech Baltimore Ravens

6 207 Antoine Bethea SS Howard Indianapolis Colts

There's also Bernard Pollard at #54 overall as a CB by the Chiefs, and Cortland Finnegan in the 7th round.

4 quality safeties there, including two who play / have played in Tampa 2 defenses, two selected in Round 5 and 6. AND THE BILLS PICKED TWO AVERAGE ONES.

THANKS MARV+DICK!

There's no need for a lecture on why Jauron/Levy drafted a safety and a Tampa-2 DT rather than Ngata. We all know that story.

Whitner is a mediocre NFL safety. The front office shouldn't have drafted players that were below average because they theoretically fit the system. They should have taken the best players and adapted. Colin Kaepernick didn't fit the 49ers "system", but they drafted him and adapted their offense to suit him.

I'm exhausted from listening to excuses. Whitner was a mistake and now he's San Francisco's problem. He is partially responsible for their franchise's first Super Bowl loss in 6 tries. The "haters" have the last say in this debate and today is their/our day. Unless Donte is at some point transfigured into a completely different player, this is the definitive proof that his Pro Bowl selection is nonsense.

Well said. While I am not a 'lil donte hater as much as I am a hater of those clowns who think the front office let a talent walk away from the Bills. Nobody can argue now how flat out horrible he was in this superbowl, and was directly responsible for 2 touchdowns, and countless, and I mean countless missed tackles and blown coverages. If they had any other competent safety in that game, San Fran wins.

Again, glad he is no longer a Bill.

Edited by Homey D. Clown

The Whitner selection was an idiotic pick at the time of his selection. Any scout who put him in the same strata of Bob Sanders or Polamalu should be fired as soon as the draft report was made on the player. The person who empowered Dick Jauron with personnel authority (Levy) should wear a clown outfit for the rest of his life.

But let us now kill them for their decision

Mocking them would be more appropriate than killing them! Whitner over Ngata! OMG

I kept telling people before the game, that he is a liability against the pass and that the Ravens would probably attack him. He gave up the first two passing touchdowns and possibly the 3rd. It looked as though he was supposed to have deep help on that side of the field and bit on an underneath route, which is why Jones was so wide open.

I kept telling people before the game, that he is a liability against the pass and that the Ravens would probably attack him. He gave up the first two passing touchdowns and possibly the 3rd. It looked as though he was supposed to have deep help on that side of the field and bit on an underneath route, which is why Jones was so wide open.

this. It's no coincidence that the first 2 TDs were directed at Donte. Strike quick and strike hard. Before thier coach knows whats going on, Donte Whitner will have sealed us a victory.

Really the 9ers secondary as a unit looked weak. Front 7 is that teams strength. Given time flacco and the ravens wr's were having their way with them

Whitner was getting torched all over. Their CB's are terrible as well. They will definitely be addressing this in the draft.

Whitner is no huge loss.... People have been talking about how great he is lately but he pooped his pants in the big game. He's an average player who is terrible in coverage..

yep. And he is benefiting from a great front 7. How bad would he have been w/ the bills this year w/ no pressure up front?!?! Wilson and Searcy are better.

I felt like I was watching a Bills game the way Whitner and the rest of the 49ers secondary were getting abused. Flacco was definitely targeting Whitner's man in the red zone. The guy plays hard and is a big hitter, but he can't cover anybody. He doesn't react to the ball in the air and has very short arms. He's the same player he was here, just surrounded by better players and a better organization.

I felt like I was watching a Bills game the way Whitner and the rest of the 49ers secondary were getting abused. Flacco was definitely targeting Whitner's man in the red zone. The guy plays hard and is a big hitter, but he can't cover anybody. He doesn't react to the ball in the air and has very short arms. He's the same player he was here, just surrounded by better players and a better organization.

Donte is the single biggest reason they lost. Not the only reason, but a BIG contributor. Maybe the worst 1st half ever played by a safety in SB history. I watched the game with my buddy who's a die hard niner fan. I always say ill root for the niners, but root against donte (because of his smack talking the bb after he left). I told him before the game, if Baltimore is smart and they target donte in the passing game, the niners are in trouble. Turned out to be the case to a tee.