Flacco Wants $20 mil/yr

Rob's House

What a difference one playoffs makes.

Before the playoffs he was considered a good chance to be let go by the Ravens......now people are saying he is worth "best QB in the league" money.

Personally I think this is just the first step in contract negotiations.

Ravens: "$20M you must be joking! $12M is all we can offer."

Flacco: "I'll go onto the open market. $18M."

Ravens: "$14M....or we will simply tag you for $14.6M"

Flacco: "I'll hold out! How about $16M?"

Ravens: "$15.5M"

Flacco: "Done!"

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its going to depend on how Flacco plays in the Super Bowl. Flacco puts up big numbers and the Ravens win I think he has a case for a big deal. He stinks up the joint or plays so so then all he did was get the Ravens one game father then he got them in the past.

Its a sticky situation for the Ravens. You have a team that's going to lose a lot of defensive and supporting talent or lose their QB who took them to a Super Bowl and they had success with (I know Baltimore is going to franchise Flacco but if they don't come to a conclusive deal could they trade him)

Overall its tough I would think the Ravens don't mind giving him a deal north of 15 million but 20 per would be hard for a team already up against the cap.

In mid season Weeks 11-15, folks in Baltimore had enough of Flacco. The offense was mediocre at best. They had lost 4 of 5 games to end the season. There was active debate as to whether they should resign him due to his poor play. Then something amazing occured. On Dec 10th Harbaugh fired Cameron and put Jim Calwell in charge of the offense. The same Jim Caldwell who was the QB coach for Peyton Manning starting in 2002 when Tony Dungy was hired. Tony always said Cladwell's coaching and paying attention to detail helped Manning's career to soar. Since Caldwell has taken over the Baltimore offense has improved. Although they lost 2 games, one was the season ender with the starters sitting. With new coaching Flacco looks great. Caldwell has designed the offense to help Flacco be decisive and more accurate with his passing.

So if you do sign Flacco. Which one do you get? The average QB under Cameron or the above average QB under Caldwell? Difficult choice for a GM and Ozzy Newsome will make the right decision.

Edited by Nitro

We paid 100M to Mario with 50M Guaranteed...If we really get a shot at that # you quoted, we should be jumping on that....All the elite QBs make 20 to 23M per year. 40 Guaranteed in my opinion is pretty low.

This.

I don't know if we have cap space to sign him but if we do we need to go all in.

Flacco is not at the same level as a Brady, Manning , Brees, Rodgers. 20 MM per year is unrealistic IMO .

What if he wins the supperbowl?

Look at his playoff record, he is like some hockey players who are average during the year but blow up in the playoffs. Flacco plays clutch when it really matters and that is all that matters sign him.

If we get him it will be more important than the Mario signing, by a long shot.

Unrealistic is a nice way of putting it. I would call it a joke. In his own division, I would rank Roethlisberger ahead of him, and probably even Dalton (based on what Dalton has shown so far).

get the hell out.

http://profootballta...-money/related/

He wants $100 mil over 5 years with $40 mil guaranteed.

I know it's a QB driven league and all, but $20 mil puts a real burden on a team already struggling to retain its talent. Is he worth it? Is it a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario? Do they have a strong enough supporting cast to win with an Alex Smith type?

Discuss

if the ravens win the super bowl, he will get it!

What makes Flacco any different than the top qbs in the league. He's won playoff games in each of his first 5 years and is now in a superbowl. His overall numbers are above average. Btw he's the only qb in NFL history to win playoff games in his first 5 years. How exactly is he "not elite"? Because he didn't do it sooner? So I guess in that case Eli is also "not elite". Hell how long did it take Peyton to get to a superbowl? Flacco has been nothing short of outstanding this postseason and has one of the strongest arms in the NFL. He's worth the money for a guy who's only 27 years old. He's basically been a better version of Roethlisberger and he'll probably stay healthier cause he doesn't take the amount of unnecessary hits Ben has taken

+1. He is at least on par with Big Ben

For those old enough,anyone remember what Jim Kelly asked for to sign with Buffalo out of the USFL?

People freaked when they heard 5 years 10 million! He ended up signing for 5 years 8 million! Wow how things have changed money wise in a little over 25 years.

If the salary cap is around $120 million, how can any team justify paying one guy 1/6 of the cap? The new CBA needed to have provisions to with that.

+1. He is at least on par with Big Ben

I think Flacco is becoming a money playoff QB, but Big Ben is one of the great QBs of all time IMO. Flacco isn't close to him. Flacco plays behind a really good oline and has a top 5 rb. Big Ben plays behind a crapfest of an oline and a bunch of whatever guys at rb. Big Ben carries the Steelers' offense by himself. Flacco jsut needs to make an occasion big play.

That said, if he can get the money, he's worth it. He has become money in the playoffs. Still, I don't ever see him being a top 10 QB or a guy who carries a team.

For those old enough,anyone remember what Jim Kelly asked for to sign with Buffalo out of the USFL?

People freaked when they heard 5 years 10 million! He ended up signing for 5 years 8 million! Wow how things have changed money wise in a little over 25 years.

If the salary cap is around $120 million, how can any team justify paying one guy 1/6 of the cap? The new CBA needed to have provisions to with that.

With how important QBs are, I think it's justified. Also, your franchise becomes more attractive to free agents and marketing when you have a top QB.

Even in a supposed QB-driven league, it's still underestimated how valuable they are. If a pro bowl LT can make 10 million, or a WR 12 million... then a pro bowl level QB should make that combined, easy. 20 million is definitely worth it for a franchise QB, even if he isn't top 5; so unless Flacco gets exposed in the SB as looking terrible, i think he'll get it.

And btw, word is Matt Ryan wants this too... these guys are comparable.

Edited by Brainiac21

Hey I'm the one that started the "Why not Flacco" thread, but ummm... No thanks. With the Ravens it's tough to tell just how good Flacco is. If Champ Bailey plays prevent defense Flacco wouldn't even be in the SB this year, so??

20m is steep, thanks but no thanks!

Tim-

It's just an opening salvo in the early stages of the negotiations. Flacco has leverage right now so $20MM is not an unreasonable 'ask' -- especially if they win Sunday. But very few people expect or receive their 'ask' so I expect Flacco will sign for something closer to the $16-$18MM range.

Sure, the Ravens can franchise him for around $15 mil/yr this offseason. But the $20 mil/yr figure isn't really that crazy because that is the cap hit figure with $40 mil due over the first 2 or 3 seasons. This is how the QB cap hits break down:

The most important number is the $40 million guaranteed. But as far as the cap hit that doesn't seem to be that crazy especially considering many of those deals there were signed under the last CBA and that many of the top QBs haven't been signed into the future. You have many top QBs that will be entering the last years of their contracts and will be looking at re-signing over the next 2-3 years like Aaron Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Eli Manning, and Ben Roethisburger. Not to mention that RG3, Luck, Newton and the other rookie/2nd year guys will be eligible for new deals. With Brees signing his deal worth about $20 mil/year cap hit, I would expect the coming deals for Rodgers and Manning to be more than that and maybe RG3, Luck, and Newton as well depending on if they continue their progression. Same story with Kap and Wilson as well. I don't see how most of these guys don't get around $20 mil per on their next deal. This doesn't include P. Manning and Brady and other older guys already getting a contract like that. This is a long way of saying that $20 mil per is becoming the norm for a top tier QB, which Flacco has a very strong case for. In the end, I think he gets a little less, around $18 or $19.

:wallbash: :wallbash: It doesn't matter. The guy has taken his team to AFC Championships back-to-back years and to the SB this year and has won many playoff games. He can WIN GAMES for the team. How does it matter whether he is same as Brady or Manning etc. He can make the CLUTCH throws and keep his team in the game for a full 60 minutes...And BTW, the teams that he beat on the way to the SB, Mannings Broncos and Brady's Patriots...

You pay 20M if you want a Franchise QB.....Simple....Or you have to get the Top pick of the draft to get your choice...

So did Mark Sanchez.

Flacco has become a good playoff QB but is decidedly average during the year. Nowhere near worth 20 mil a year, and the fact he doesnt even get a sniff of anything near that by an NFL team will be proof. I doubt even his agent honestly believes he is going to get that.

He is not a QB that will lead you to the playoffs if you dont have a great cast around him, but he does play damn good once he gets there...

Maybe 14-15 mil tops is what he gets...that might be pushing it

First of all, $20 mil is the asking price, not the negotiated price.

But it's not a crazy starting point. Flacco is a guy who will complete about 60% of his passes, throw 20 TDs against 10 picks, and average 220 yards or so per game. This is about what he's been doing the last four years. Oh, and he'll win some playoff games.

Maybe that's not "elite" but it's pretty damn solid. We haven't had a guy who could produce like that year after year since Kelly. So I'd pay Flacco $20 million a year to be a Bill if that was an option.

We paid 100M to Mario with 50M Guaranteed...If we really get a shot at that # you quoted, we should be jumping on that....All the elite QBs make 20 to 23M per year. 40 Guaranteed in my opinion is pretty low.

He earned it, outplayed Brady in 2 straight AFC title games.

Pay the man BMore.

He's outperformed Brady in consecutive AFC championship games.

I wonder how he would do having to play against the Raven's defense.

He is acknowledged to have one of the very strongest arms in the NFL.[/Quote]

Having a strong arm doesn't mean anything. If it did guys like Kyle Boller and Jamarcus Russel would also be getting $100 million.

He's 7-8 years younger than Brady and manning. The future is a lot more about flacco than the fading icons

That's the most redeeming quality about him but that still doesn't mean he's worth that kind of money.

If you owned a team would you really want to pay Flacco $20 million a season?

Edited by Bangarang