Flacco Wants $20 mil/yr

Rob's House

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way the Bills draft, he's easily worth 2 firsts. But there's no way the Ravens let him go.

The word is that there are a few teams waiting to try to sign him and have no problem with the big contract and two first round picks. If the Bills gave up two first round picks, it would still be more then what they will end up getting with Buddy Nix drafting.

The word is that there are a few teams waiting to try to sign him and have no problem with the big contract and two first round picks. If the Bills gave up two first round picks, it would still be more then what they will end up getting with Buddy Nix drafting.

I think it's still better than what most teams would get with two first round picks. Super Bowl QBs with big arms and pocket presence do not grow on trees. You can hope to get one in one of the next two drafts or you can get somebody who IS one and has just won the big one. This would be a terrifically costly move but I think it would instantly make the whole team better.

Please let King's words be true.

Now, here's a question for the people who know the offseason rulebook a bit better: Do you sign the rights to a guy, or does he actually have to agree to the contract with another team, if franchised by his current team? That is, could Flacco say, "this offer sheet/team isn't to my liking" and pass on it even if it exceeds the offer coming from the team that holds his rights? Or does the team that wants him simply offer him the bonanza contract and offer to surrender the picks, and the team with the franchise tag gets the chance to match? I know very little about how this works.

^^ that's why you try to buy in the draft or back ups who can eventually start

Of course. And that necessitates more risk, at a lesser cost, and most likely lesser reward. If they cannnot get one of maybe 4 starting caliber qbs to emerge from this draft, they'll either have reached for one or not addressed it, either of which is a bigger setback than spending a little bit too much money.

http://profootballta...-money/related/

He wants $100 mil over 5 years with $40 mil guaranteed.

I know it's a QB driven league and all, but $20 mil puts a real burden on a team already struggling to retain its talent. Is he worth it? Is it a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario? Do they have a strong enough supporting cast to win with an Alex Smith type?

Discuss

I'm not surprised that he wants that type of money. He's earned it leading his team to the super bowl. I would imagine the Ravens will lock him up to a contract that is close to what his asking price is.

I'm not surprised that he wants that type of money. He's earned it leading his team to the super bowl. I would imagine the Ravens will lock him up to a contract that is close to what his asking price is.

He hasn't earned being the highest paid QB in the league, not by a long shot. One Super Bowl ring with some other good postseason mixed in with a bunch of just above average regular seasons doesn't equal that.

I'd love to have the guy but not at the expense of crippling the rest of the team. If you're going to cripple your team to pay a QB it better be a QB who can put the team on his back - Flacco isn't that guy. If he was that guy the Ravens would never let him go.

Edited by MDH

He hasn't earned being the highest paid QB in the league, not by a long shot. One Super Bowl ring with some other good postseason mixed in with a bunch of just above average regular seasons doesn't equal that.

I'd love to have the guy but not at the expense of crippling the rest of the team. If you're going to cripple your team to pay a QB it better be a QB who can put the team on his back - Flacco isn't that guy. If he was that guy the Ravens would never let him go.

The only reason the Ravens may be forced to let him go is because they are backed against the cap. The other thing is these are simply negotiating ploys by the Ravens...You put fear into the player that you may be let go and he will more than likely bring his price down, especially considering the option is to go to Cleveland or Buffalo which are simply not yet ready to win post-season football games.

The difference between winning and losing is usually very small. Flacco on the bills could be all it takes for the bills to make the playoffs. As for the post about Flacco not being worth the most lucrative contract in NFL history, the NFL is all about timing. He is a free agent entering the prime of his career. He will become close to the highest paid QB ever this year, but several other QBs will get paid more over the life of his contract. That is how it works.

The difference between winning and losing is usually very small. Flacco on the bills could be all it takes for the bills to make the playoffs. As for the post about Flacco not being worth the most lucrative contract in NFL history, the NFL is all about timing. He is a free agent entering the prime of his career. He will become close to the highest paid QB ever this year, but several other QBs will get paid more over the life of his contract. That is how it works.

+1. The only thing is does Flacco have the confidence to move to a team like Cleveland or Buffalo and be the difference maker!

As much as I loathe Tom Brady,mostly because he has destroyed us, he is really one of the good guys when it comes be being a team guy. The guy isn't even near the top paid QB in the league and never asks to be, 9th highest paid QB actually (http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/quarterback/) He is more concerned with being with the right organization with the right supporting cast. Stuff like this makes you have a little bit of disdain for guys like Flacco, Brees, and Eli. who feel the need to be at the top of the payroll at the expense of the team.

As much as I loathe Tom Brady,mostly because he has destroyed us, he is really one of the good guys when it comes be being a team guy. The guy isn't even near the top paid QB in the league and never asks to be, 9th highest paid QB actually (http://www.spotrac.c...fl/quarterback/) He is more concerned with being with the right organization with the right supporting cast. Stuff like this makes you have a little bit of disdain for guys like Flacco, Brees, and Eli. who feel the need to be at the top of the payroll at the expense of the team.

Hmmmm......no.

When looking at Brady's contracts, you will find he is usually either right at the top in salary(as per his 2010 contract that made him the highest paid player in the NFL).....or he is right at the top in cap hit(as per his highest in the league 2013 cap hit).

He certainly asked to be the highest paid just 3 seasons ago......and was happy to restructure to save the Pats some cap room last year as it further boosted his annual $$$ intake.