Flacco Wants $20 mil/yr

Rob's House

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So did Mark Sanchez.

This is a most stupid comparison....Sanchez did play very well in the playoffs in those two seasons, but has regressed since then as the Jets have lost quality players at RB (Thomas Jones), OL, and WRs. On the other hand Flacco has blossomed and has improved his game every year. And if you are not aware, the Jets in spite of Sanchez's struggles gave him a 40M+ contract with close to 20M+ guaranteed money.

Edited by ganesh

This is a most stupid comparison....Sanchez did play very well in the playoffs in those two seasons, but has regressed since then as the Jets have lost quality players at RB (Thomas Jones), OL, and WRs. On the other hand Flacco has blossomed and has improved his game every year. And if you are not aware, the Jets in spite of Sanchez's struggles gave him a 40M+ contract with close to 20M+ guaranteed money.

$40m is a big difference from 100m. Just saying. It's like having 40 bucks or 100. Take your pick.

$40m is a big difference from 100m. Just saying. It's like having 40 bucks or 100. Take your pick.

40M over 4 years (with a ton of upfront money) and 100M over 7 or so years is not an apples to apples comparison...

Flacco is not at the same level as a Brady, Manning , Brees, Rodgers. 20 MM per year is unrealistic IMO .

beat brady in this years playoffs.

beat brady in the season this year.

should have beat brady in last years playoffs.

beat brady 3 years ago in the playoffs.

beat manning this year in the playoffs.

youre right, he's not on their level. he's significantly better.

There are many amazingly ignorant posts on TBD. Yours is now among them.

Some people here are really dismissing Flacco.

He's a very interesting player in that he (like Eli Manning) becomes a significantly better player in the playoffs.

I've seen Flacco look terrible in regular season games many times. But come playoff time, he's a different guy altogether.

It's called negotiation. He'll lose some leverage when they can't come to an agreement and he gets franchised. He'll then likely sit out OTA's and a piece of camp taking back some leverage. Then they'll likely sign a contract simliar to what Eli signed a couple years ago. Something like 6 years $100M.

What a difference one playoffs makes.

Before the playoffs he was considered a good chance to be let go by the Ravens......now people are saying he is worth "best QB in the league" money.

This. No matter how many times Bill Barnwell shoots down the "clutch in the playoffs" thing a zillion times over, people still want to believe in it and downplay the randomness that is a single elimination tournament. Brady was all-time clutch and lost his clutchness in 2005. Eli is always clutch except when he's not in December collapses & playoff losses to the Eagles.

Mark Sanchez won 4 road playoff games in 2yrs including vs Manning/Brady in one year. I am not buying Flacco stock at it's all-time high.

I don't think his stock went way up since the regular season ended. Entering the playoffs he was viewed as a top 10 QB entering the prime of his career. As of right now he is considered to be a top 10 QB entering the prime of his career. So what is the price tag on that, about $20 million a year sounds right. He is not going to hit the market, but the bills would be crazy not to offer him $20 million a year if he became available.

Maybe his camp has the theory that the Bills paid Ryan Fitzterrible almost $10 million a year and Flacco is 10 times better then him=Bargain! He is arguably the best QB ever this early in his career when it comes to success. 5 years in the league. 5 years in the Playoffs. 5 years with at least 1 playoff victory. 1 Super Bowl appearance. Sure, he didn't do it alone, but those numbers would be all zeros if they had someone like Fitz.

Edited by BuffBill

Maybe his camp has the theory that the Bills paid Ryan Fitzterrible almost $10 million a year and Flacco is 10 times better then him=Bargain! He is arguably the best QB ever this early in his career when it comes to success. 5 years in the league. 5 years in the Playoffs. 5 years with at least 1 playoff victory. 1 Super Bowl appearance. Sure, he didn't do it alone, but those numbers would be all zeros if they had someone like Fitz.

+1

This. No matter how many times Bill Barnwell shoots down the "clutch in the playoffs" thing a zillion times over, people still want to believe in it and downplay the randomness that is a single elimination tournament. Brady was all-time clutch and lost his clutchness in 2005. Eli is always clutch except when he's not in December collapses & playoff losses to the Eagles.

Mark Sanchez won 4 road playoff games in 2yrs including vs Manning/Brady in one year. I am not buying Flacco stock at it's all-time high.

What's the alternative if you are the Ravens? Let your QB walk away when you have no replacement and when you have a Super Bowl caliber team? There is zero chance anyone other than Flacco is QB of the Ravens in Sept.

I don't think his stock went way up since the regular season ended. Entering the playoffs he was viewed as a top 10 QB entering the prime of his career. As of right now he is considered to be a top 10 QB entering the prime of his career. So what is the price tag on that, about $20 million a year sounds right. He is not going to hit the market, but the bills would be crazy not to offer him $20 million a year if he became available.

I agree with this. The price tag isn't merely a reflection of Flacco's ability relative to Manning, Brady or Brees. Those guys are getting old, Flacco has another 10 years in the leauge if he stays healthy.

I started a thread about Flacco a while back and the division in opinion was about the same. He's been quoted as wanting Brady-esque money since last off-season and the Ravens have been balking at that price. If the Ravens win Sunday and he plays well it becomes a no-brainer for them. However, if they lose and he stinks it up it keeps them squarely in the conundrum they are in. Sure they could franchise him for 1 year at ~15 million but that's risky for Baltimore.

There are 2 directions that could go. Flacco is the same guy who got po'd at Pitt because he wasn't getting playing time over Tyler Palko and transferred to 1-AA Delaware so he could play. It's possible that he could refuse to sign the tender offer and then sit out and I wouldn't downplay the possibility of him sitting out for a long period of time.

It's also possible that he could call the Ravens bluff and sign the tender. That puts him on a 1 year deal and into a situation where he cannot be franchised again so he'll hit UFA next year.

If they end up exclusive rights franchising him I'd call the Ravens and see what it would take to get the deal done. Sure they may laugh and hang up the phone but they really are over a barrel here and it's possible they could make a deal. If for some reason they give him the lesser franchise tag you have to send an offer sheet, you just have to. In fact in either situation - I'd be really concerned about the Jets. Flacco's a Jersey kid and I could see the Jets moving heaven and earth on their roster to get that deal done.

billy_madison_principal_no_points_mercy_soul_movie_image_01.jpg

Its not a comparison, its a statement. Your argument for Flacco was stupid. Thus my response.

When Joe Cool was going 1-4 down the stretch, you would have been hard pressed to find anyone subscribing to your continual improvement, pay him like Brady argument.

Edited by Jauronimo

I started a thread about Flacco a while back and the division in opinion was about the same. He's been quoted as wanting Brady-esque money since last off-season......

Brady's contract is $15.7M ave/year......a lot different from $20M/year.

I think he will get Brady-esque money.

Brady's contract is $15.7M ave/year......a lot different from $20M/year.

I think he will get Brady-esque money.

Well the quote from the agent was that he needs to be in the top 5 QBs so that makes a spread from 15-20 million dollars.

http://nesn.com/2012/02/agent-thinks-joe-flacco-deserves-tom-brady-money/

And then there's this from 2 days ago that pegs his target as Brees' 20 and definitely higher than P. Manning's 19.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/28/flacco-camp-believes-joe-has-outplayed-peyton/

If they win his number is solidly 20 and I think the Ravens cave in. If they lose and he's not good I think his number stays close to 20 and the Ravens' response is going to be interesting.

When Joe Cool was going 1-4 down the stretch, you would have been hard pressed to find anyone subscribing to your continual improvement, pay him like Brady argument.

You'd have me but you're right the bandwagon was small. This board would have been interesting at the end of 1987 when Kelly stunk up the world for all of December and tanked a playoff spot.