Flacco Wants $20 mil/yr

Rob's House

http://profootballta...-money/related/

He wants $100 mil over 5 years with $40 mil guaranteed.

I know it's a QB driven league and all, but $20 mil puts a real burden on a team already struggling to retain its talent. Is he worth it? Is it a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario? Do they have a strong enough supporting cast to win with an Alex Smith type?

Discuss

Edited by Rob's House

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flacco is not at the same level as a Brady, Manning , Brees, Rodgers. 20 MM per year is unrealistic IMO .

this.

He may be a pretty good QB. A possible SB winning QB. But he's not worth that much. I would guess that an Alex Smith type could come in and do pretty similar. Not to mention, if they win the thing this year, why bother to resign him? You've already won it all. Let him go and start over with a new QB. The rest of the team is the strength. Not Falco.

this.

He may be a pretty good QB. A possible SB winning QB. But he's not worth that much. I would guess that an Alex Smith type could come in and do pretty similar. Not to mention, if they win the thing this year, why bother to resign him? You've already won it all. Let him go and start over with a new QB. The rest of the team is the strength. Not Falco.

This is pretty close to where I am. I think his value would be a lot higher to a team like the Bills than the Ravens. If they've got to gut their defense or lose their QB it seems like a lose/lose situation anyway.

Flacco is not at the same level as a Brady, Manning , Brees, Rodgers. 20 MM per year is unrealistic IMO .

:wallbash: :wallbash: It doesn't matter. The guy has taken his team to AFC Championships back-to-back years and to the SB this year and has won many playoff games. He can WIN GAMES for the team. How does it matter whether he is same as Brady or Manning etc. He can make the CLUTCH throws and keep his team in the game for a full 60 minutes...And BTW, the teams that he beat on the way to the SB, Mannings Broncos and Brady's Patriots...

You pay 20M if you want a Franchise QB.....Simple....Or you have to get the Top pick of the draft to get your choice...

:wallbash: :wallbash: It doesn't matter. The guy has taken his team to AFC Championships back-to-back years and to the SB this year and has won many playoff games. He can WIN GAMES for the team. How does it matter whether he is same as Brady or Manning etc. He can make the CLUTCH throws and keep his team in the game for a full 60 minutes...And BTW, the teams that he beat on the way to the SB, Mannings Broncos and Brady's Patriots...

You pay 20M if you want a Franchise QB.....Simple....Or you have to get the Top pick of the draft to get your choice...

im sure their top notch defense had nothing to do with those playoff wins.

;-)

this.

Alex Smith is not in the same league as Flacco (other than being in the NFL). Flacco has won many playoff games for his team and some of them actually due to his play. If not for stupid mistakes by Evans or his DC (Rex Ryan) Flacco could have beat Brady last year in the AFC Championship and also Ben's steelers 4 seasons ago.

Having said that the Ravens will lock him up for that kind of asking price....

im sure their top notch defense had nothing to do with those playoff wins.

;-)

Sure. BUt over the years Flacco and the offense (RIce) have won many of those games too...

I would pay him that much. Not even think twice. Come on, folks. He got his team to the Superbowl and he didn't do it riding a top-5 defense.

I hope the Ravens are stupid enough to say no. In fact, Flacco may be the dumb one for not asking for more. He would easily get his asking price on the open market.

Alex Smith is not in the same league as Flacco (other than being in the NFL). Flacco has won many playoff games for his team and some of them actually due to his play. If not for stupid mistakes by Evans or his DC (Rex Ryan) Flacco could have beat Brady last year in the AFC Championship and also Ben's steelers 4 seasons ago.

i don't think Flacco gets $20m or more. Unless....... He's the SuperBowl MVP and has just an amazing game.

Either way. I don't care. I don't think he's worth $20m a year. The QBs in this league that get that kind of money are not just Superbowl QBs, they are record setters in different categories or multiple SuperBowl winning QBs. He's none of those. At least yet.

Sure. BUt over the years Flacco and the offense (RIce) have won many of those games too...

I bet Smith could take him in a fight.

Considering the handwringing that's going on this year for teams who don't have a franchise qb, tell me a reason why Ravens would blink at that contract offer.

Or they can simply draft Nassib to be the obvious replacement.

Considering the handwringing that's going on this year for teams who don't have a franchise qb, tell me a reason why Ravens would blink at that contract offer.

Or they can simply draft Nassib to be the obvious replacement.

At some point you hit a $ figure that exceeds the player's value. I'm not necessarily saying Flacco isn't worth $20 mil, but seeing as how that would basically make him the highest paid QB in the league when no one considers him the best QB in the league, it seems reasonable to wonder if he's overestimated his value. Especially if it prevents them from resigning multiple defensive players.

It also depends on whether they think the success of the offense is more a product of Joe Flacco's ability or the system and talent around him.