E.J. Manuel - QB - Florida State

PIZ

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

then take him in the first.

And that becomes a legit discussion.

However, as most of us seem to agree if a team is in love with Manuel (or any of the QBs), why trade down and risk losing that guy?

I would personally take him at #8 as he's my personal favorite of all the QBs although I know a lot of people here who'd love to risk getting him on the cheap in a trade down scenario.

If it works and you get an extra pick or two, fine.

If you really like the guy and lose him as a result of a trade down, then that's a tough pill to swallow.

If you trade down and miss him but someone you like almost as much is still there, then I guess that's a win.

However, as most of us seem to agree if a team is in love with Manuel (or any of the QBs), why trade down and risk losing that guy?

I would personally take him at #8 as he's my personal favorite of all the QBs although I know a lot of people here who'd love to risk getting him on the cheap in a trade down scenario.

If you really like the guy and lose him as a result of a trade down, then that's a tough pill to swallow.

If you trade down and miss him but someone you like almost as much is still there, then I guess that's a win.

I was certainly in that group of folks who wanted to see The Bills trade down...In a perfect world, if I knew 100% they could still land Manuel (or whatever QB they love), I would still prefer that scenario...

But the way things seem to be playing out right now, it certainly looks like a trade down would be a sizable risk if Manuel truly is the target...It seems to me that as more and more "experts" study Manuel, they are coming out thinking he's a 1st Round talent...And even if you have him rated as a 20-30 overall guy, we all know how QB's get pushed up...And it seems to me that the key here is the NY Jets at #9...Are you going to trade out of #8 knowing the Jets can get your targeted QB? It's a tough spot...

I'm guessing, if The Bills do trade out of #8, they are not very interested in Manuel...Because if he is their guy, I don't see any way they don't take him at #8 now...He's moving way up...Manuel's momentum is reminding me of Locker and Ponder in the month before the Draft...And I think Manuel is a better Pro prospect than both of those QB's...And both those QB's went in the Top 12 in 2011...

If I had to bet right now...I would bet on The Bills taking Manuel at #8...I really would...But there's still a month plus to go...We'll see... B-)

The thing I love about Manuel is that he just seems to have presence. I don't get that feeling with any other QB in this draft.

I know the Senior Bowl is a mirage of a football game, but he looked very cool, collected, and relaxed when he was out there (and it showed up in his "results"). No other QB looked like that. It may not mean much in terms of football acumen or ability, but it does mean something psychologically. That is a high pressure situation for these guys, even if it is not really a game.

I see the same kind of presence when I watch videos of him.

Anyway, just a feeling. I have no clue as to which of these guys will actually turn into something. Geno Smith is an intriguing cat. Barkley's got tons of experience. Wilson is a tough SOB. But something about Manuel really grabs me. I would not be disappointed at all if they grabbed him at 8.

If Geno Smith and Barkley are off the board at #8, I think Manuel in the 2nd round would be a great pick.

If Geno and Barkley are gone when we draft which is highly likely, and we like EJ, we better take him there. He likely won't be there at 41 IMHO. I wouldn't hate it if we take him at 8.

I say grab Manuel at 8. Highest upside and he wins. He's bound to shoot up the boards near draft day and we can't risk getting cute and waiting for the second or moving up to late first. I just see the fodder that is there in the second if we don't take Manuel will be sure to set the franchise back another three years.

THIS.

you must have a qb. If there's one you like, take him. Dont give a f#%^ about "draft slot" or Mel Kiper's big board. Most players in most drafts dont pan out. And QB is key.

And I dont care about his inconsistencies in college. I care WHY he was inconsistent. If the staff thinks it can fix it, then i'm fine. If he needs a year or two to develop, fine.

In fact, my official position, as of today, is I want Manuel at 8. We need to swing for the fences, not just retool a 6-10 team. A perennial 6-10 team. "Yeah, if we can just get a little better . . . ." I say F that. Swing for the fences.

If it can be done, trade down in the 1st round to take him; that is, if he is really the guy you want.

HOWEVER, you better have a back-up plan, and option 1A if he does get picked before your turn. But at this point, if he is really the guy the BIlls want at QB, I favor the trade down and try to get him later, and add a pick or two in the trade = that would be a great draft!

Agreed. Thisbis the type of draft where the next Brady will be drafted, where all the "experts" say this is a weak qb draft.

In other news, Gruden wasbon mike and mike this morning saying we should (and will) take nassib. Was praising him as a great choice...

you must have a qb. If there's one you like, take him. Dont give a f#%^ about "draft slot" or Mel Kiper's big board. Most players in most drafts dont pan out. And QB is key.

And I dont care about his inconsistencies in college. I care WHY he was inconsistent. If the staff thinks it can fix it, then i'm fine. If he needs a year or two to develop, fine.

In fact, my official position, as of today, is I want Manuel at 8. We need to swing for the fences, not just retool a 6-10 team. A perennial 6-10 team. "Yeah, if we can just get a little better . . . ." I say F that. Swing for the fences.

THIS.

Sorry no link.

Manuel will workout for the Bills on Monday in Florida and will meet them again in Buffalo at a later date.

According to this he worked out for them this past Monday, but I think Roto misunderstood the tweet???

John Kryk@JohnKryk 19h

EJ Manuel's pro day is today, but he's working out for Buffalo #Bills on Monday in Tallahassee, before visiting Buffalo later, per source.

But the way things seem to be playing out right now, it certainly looks like a trade down would be a sizable risk if Manuel truly is the target...It seems to me that as more and more "experts" study Manuel, they are coming out thinking he's a 1st Round talent...And even if you have him rated as a 20-30 overall guy, we all know how QB's get pushed up...And it seems to me that the key here is the NY Jets at #9...Are you going to trade out of #8 knowing the Jets can get your targeted QB? It's a tough spot...

If I had to bet right now...I would bet on The Bills taking Manuel at #8...I really would...But there's still a month plus to go...We'll see... B-)

It the front office has a strong conviction that Manuel is their franchise qb of the future then they shouldn't risk trading down. There is simply a number of teams that are searching for their own franchise qb prospect. The risk isn't only from teams drafting ahead of you but also from teams drafting after you that could maneuver back up to draft before you do.

However, if there is a cluster of qbs such as Barkley, Wilson, Manuel, Glennon and Bray that you closely rank then it might be worth the risk. Buddy Nix has a tendency to play it safe and not risk losing his favored player with a draft down maneuver. In this year's draft with a high priority placed on the qb position his conservative approach might be the right approach to take.

Did he look a little like Daunte Culpepper to anyone else?

Haha. Absolutely. I thought that NFL was doing another Leon Sandcastle-type promo but now with Culpepper.

How about this.....just give me a QB who has an arm, is accurate, can read defenses, can throw a long ball without too much float, and doesnt wilt on a drive that can win us the game at the end.

Is that all? :doh:

I think that description would apply to only 6-7 established NFL QBs, let alone this mixed bag of rookie prospects.

People better lower their expectations a bit, IMO. Just because this is the year the Bills go QB, I don't see anyone in the draft that will have all of the qualities you mentioned right off the bat...

So what happens when the Bills don't draft a QB?

Collective head explodes? Protests? Boycotts? Business as usual?

Speaking for myself, my head would explode. They don't even have a credible QB on the freaking roster at this point.

FYI - Walter Football's scouting report on Manuel: http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2013emanuel.php

I rarely watch College football, but I did watch the entire Orange Bowl this year (Florida State vs Northern Illinois). I was far from impressed with Manuel, and based on that game, I was shocked to hear he's being considered in the top-2 rounds. It seemed like most of the passes he completed were wide open screens. It seems like his stock increase is a product of having the perfect measurables, and not actually being a great QB.

I hope I'm wrong, and I hope if he ends up on the Bills it's not at #8 overall.

Speaking for myself, my head would explode. They don't even have a credible QB on the freaking roster at this point.

FYI - Walter Football's scouting report on Manuel: http://walterfootbal...2013emanuel.php

Going to check out the scouting report in a second, but to address the no-new-qb scenario: i think the lack of FA activity is an indication that the FO isn't in a WIN NOW mindset. So, why over-extend for a non-stellar QB when next year's record isn't a priority and when a deeper, more talented crop is on the horizon?

Going to check out the scouting report in a second, but to address the no-new-qb scenario: i think the lack of FA activity is an indication that the FO isn't in a WIN NOW mindset. So, why over-extend for a non-stellar QB when next year's record isn't a priority and when a deeper, more talented crop is on the horizon?

Why not take one this year and next year? Maximize your chances at the most important position, I say. It's been done before - by Dallas (Aikman followed by Steve Walsh). If the first one pans out, you can always trade the other one for a boatload of picks (provided he's good). That's what Dallas did when they traded Walsh to New Orleans, getting three high-round picks including a first.