E.J. Manuel - QB - Florida State

PIZ

If the Bills came out of the 2013 Draft with Manuel I would be thrilled...He's the QB I've thought of most in a Trade Down scenario...He needs work...But if you ask me the kid plays determined...I really like him...I think his upside is every bit as good as Geno...And I like Geno... B-)

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So because we lost two guards we should draft a tackle?

There seems to be this ridiculous thought that we should draft a tackle and move Cordy to guard. People try to justify this terrible logic with the fact that some people thought Cordy was a better guard coming out of college.

It's all pretty ridiculous. Cordy is staying at LT and will play there for a very long time.

There seems to be this ridiculous thought that we should draft a tackle and move Cordy to guard. People try to justify this terrible logic with the fact that some people thought Cordy was a better guard coming out of college.

It's all pretty ridiculous. Cordy is staying at LT and will play there for a very long time.

Yep. Hairston and Sanders will vie for the RT position. They still have Wood at center and Urbik at RG. What they need is a LG and depth.

Watching EJ I get reminded on how Big Ben keeps the play alive when the play breaks down ( online fails ) . Watch the ND game on YouTube . He's running for his life on every play .

Sorry .... O line fails

Same thing in the Florida game. And the OL was supposed to be the best part of their offense.

I'm all in for EJ. The Bills can't wait until next year to draft a QB, since who knows if the highly-touted guys will look as good this coming season. Manuel has almost everything you look for in a modern-era QB. And with conracts not being ridiculous anymore, it's not like it's a major investment like it once was.

How could anyone possibly be happy with that scenario?

EJ Manuel is decent. Let's not hype up this guy as some kind of elite prospect.

Interesting that you're in the distinct minority in this thread.

Any supporting evidence that he's not elite?

Which QBs do you consider elite or even ahead of Manuel?

How could anyone possibly be happy with that scenario?

EJ Manuel is decent. Let's not hype up this guy as some kind of elite prospect.

I'd be happy if the Bills got a QB with an UDFA. The reality is that they need to find one and waiting to take one in the 2nd, when it's a weak class, doesn't make sense.

Interesting that you're in the distinct minority in this thread.

Any supporting evidence that he's not elite?

He has prototypical size and athleticism. That much I really like. But that's not the definition of what makes a successful QB in the NFL.

Here's what I question about him.

-Almost 75% of his throws came within 10 yards.

gMhgoYH.png

Is that by design? Is that scheme? Is that where his primary read was? Was he asked to consistently go through more than one read? For a guy who can extend plays why didn't he throw it deeper more?

Is this the end all be all? No. But it's just something to think about. I wasn't in the film room or have a playbook. I don't know what he's being asked to do. But I question why would a guy with great arm strength and the ability to extend a play and allow his receivers to get open not have longer attempts?

-FSU did not have a difficult schedule. Not even close.

qnSVJd4.png

Did I watch every FSU game? No. But I probably did what everyone else did and watched his throws on Youtube.

Does he have elite size and athleticism to play QB in the NFL? Absolutely

Does he have the intelligence and ability to be able to consistently go through progressions, throw his receivers open and throw a ball that allows his receivers to run after the catch? It's tough to say. He was so inconsistent with his ball placement and throwing to guys that were already open that I don't know how well it will translate in the NFL.

Does he have leadership abilities to rally his team from behind or keep his head up and keep throwing down field despite not having a good game? Again, I don't know. I'd like to think he does but I also question it.

EJ Manuel is a good prospect. Is he an elite prospect? I don't think so.

Can he be a successful NFL QB? He has the physical tools to help him get there. That's for sure.

Basically, he has just as many question marks as some other guys. I'm not going to blow my load and take him at 8. Nor would I give up picks to move back up into the 1st or top of the 2nd to take him. Would I take him at 41? Absolutely because the potential is there. Will it take a year or two for him to reach that potential? Most likely. Can he be successful right away? If he had the right scheme, coaching and running game to take the weight off his shoulders right away.

Which QBs do you consider elite or even ahead of Manuel?

I don't see any elite QBs. An elite QB is a guy like Luck who has no real weaknesses and is a guy that you know you can draft and not worry about the QB position for a long time.

Do the QBs in this draft have the ability to be a franchise QB? Absolutely. It's just hard to say who right now.

If I had to rank them:

Geno Smith

Matt Barkley

Tyler Wilson

EJ Manuel

Ryan Nassib

Mike Glennon

Tyler Bray

Landry Jones

Zac Dysert

If I was a betting man I'd say both Geno and Barkely go before we pick at 8 and that we draft Tyler Wilson with our 2nd pick.

Edited by Bangarang

He has prototypical size and athleticism. That much I really like. But that's not the definition of what makes a successful QB in the NFL.

gMhgoYH.png

Is that by design? Is that scheme? Is that where his primary read was? Was he asked to consistently go through more than one read? For a guy who can extend plays why didn't he throw it deeper more?

Is this the end all be all? No. But it's just something to think about. I wasn't in the film room or have a playbook. I don't know what he's being asked to do. But I question why would a guy with great arm strength and the ability to extend a play and allow his receivers to get open not have longer attempts?

qnSVJd4.png

Did I watch every FSU game? No. But I probably did what everyone else did and watched his throws on Youtube.

Does he have the intelligence and ability to be able to consistently go through progressions, throw his receivers open and throw a ball that allows his receivers to run after the catch? It's tough to say. He was so inconsistent with his ball placement and throwing to guys that were already open that I don't know how well it will translate in the NFL.

Does he have leadership abilities to rally his team from behind or keep his head up and keep throwing down field despite not having a good game? Again, I don't know. I'd like to think he does but I also question it.

Can he be a successful NFL QB? He has the physical tools to help him get there. That's for sure.

Basically, he has just as many question marks as some other guys. I'm not going to blow my load and take him at 8. Nor would I give up picks to move back up into the 1st or top of the 2nd to take him. Would I take him at 41? Absolutely because the potential is there. Will it take a year or two for him to reach that potential? Most likely. Can he be successful right away? If he had the right scheme, coaching and running game to take the weight off his shoulders right away.

I don't see any elite QBs. An elite QB is a guy like Luck who has no real weaknesses and is a guy that you know you can draft and not worry about the QB position for a long time.

Do the QBs in this draft have the ability to be a franchise QB? Absolutely. It's just hard to say who right now.

If I had to rank them:

Geno Smith

Matt Barkley

Tyler Wilson

EJ Manuel

Ryan Nassib

Mike Glennon

Tyler Bray

Landry Jones

Zac Dysert

If I was a betting man I'd say both Geno and Barkely go before we pick at 8 and that we draft Tyler Wilson with our 2nd pick.

Once upon a time there was an elite college QB that had it all except great arm strength and he also couldn't win "big" games. Some ppl actually thought he shouldn't be the first QB taken in the draft. Who am I referring to? Peyton Manning, that's who.

Now I'm not comparing the two QBs to each other but there will always be question marks on every single prospect. It's a crap shoot. Take the guy with the physical tools, work ethic, and high character and coach him up.

gMhgoYH.png

qnSVJd4.png

If I had to rank them:

Geno Smith

Matt Barkley

Tyler Wilson

EJ Manuel

Ryan Nassib

Mike Glennon

Tyler Bray

Landry Jones

Zac Dysert

Yes.

gMhgoYH.png

Actually 73.4%

Comparisons....

Manuel: 73.4%

Dysert: 73.3%

Geno: 72.1%

Barkley: 70.9%

Wilson: 70.5%

Nassib: 63.2%

Glennon: 58.6%

Looks like he led the major contenders in that unfortunate category.....but most were in a similar range.