E.J. Manuel - QB - Florida State

PIZ

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Manuel he has all the physical skills ( close but not quite Cam Newton level) and he's smart (way smarter than Cam Newton) and has monster hands (good for buffalo weather)- on the down side he lacks a little of the three quicks (quick feet, quick release, quick decision making) lacks a little swagger you'd like in a QB and the big questions I don't know the answer to is does he burn to be great, does he burn to lead his team to win it all.

Ouch, note the comparison to Blaine Gabbert in the profile. Could go many ways - inconsistent play, high ceiling, and middling prospect in winter moving into top of round one by draft day. Fire up the hype machine.

Can't say it surprises me really...Manuel is clearly one of the two most physically talented QB prospects (along with Geno Smith).

He has a great arm, is a very good athlete, and has both toughness and intelligence. It'll be getting acclimated to a pro-style offense that he might struggle with early on, but there's no question the physical attributes are there.

I'm all for Manuel in round 2, as I believe he'll be there.

He has as much upside as any QB in this draft. He'll need to get in the right place with the right situation and develop into a starting NFL QB because he isn't one now. That's really the situation probably for all but two QBs in this draft.

If he had played better against Florida then he might be the top QB in the draft for most people.

Not sure he fits the Bills though.

He has as much upside as any QB in this draft. He'll need to get in the right place with the right situation and develop into a starting NFL QB because he isn't one now. That's really the situation probably for all but two QBs in this draft.

If he had played better against Florida then he might be the top QB in the draft for most people.

Not sure he fits the Bills though.

Well, if they keep Fitz and add Manuel to the group (Fitz, Tjax and EJ), that would be as solid QB group to move forward with.

I like Manuel he has all the physical skills ( close but not quite Cam Newton level) and he's smart (way smarter than Cam Newton) and has monster hands (good for buffalo weather)- on the down side he lacks a little of the three quicks (quick feet, quick release, quick decision making) lacks a little swagger you'd like in a QB and the big questions I don't know the answer to is does he burn to be great, does he burn to lead his team to win it all.

Any combination of slow release and slow decision making is fatal. If that's truly the case with Manual, we can't get far enough away from him.

GO BILLS!!!

Those were his pre-combine rankings. Here are his post combine rankings. Manuel is not even in the top 5.

Quarterback

1. Geno Smith, West Virginia

2. Matt Barkley, USC

3. Mike Glennon, N.C. State

4. Ryan Nassib, Syracuse

5. Landry Jones, Oklahoma

You have it backwards. The list you posted is Mayock's pre-combine list.

The new list has Manuel at #2.

The headline for todays rankings says it all:

"Mike Mayock elevates EJ Manuel in latest draft prospect rankings"

and this

"Mike Mayock unveils the third edition of his position-by-position draft prospect rankings for the 2013 NFL Draft, which features a dramatic change at quarterback."

I don't know much about college ball but the highlights that I watched makes this guy look like a beast. No doubt the guy has a big arm and can run the option. He looked a lot like RGIII in the videos. Is that a fair comparison to make? Check out this highlight from 2011, especially at the 1:27 mark. Lol!

Straight from the guy that said Blaine Gabbert had the best pro day ever...like throughout time... and was going to be the best QB of that draft class...

Well...No one is right 100% of the time and Mayock is simply the best "TV Scout" out there...Gabbert was not exactly an easy evaluation either...He lacked experience, but has great physical tools, and he's really smart...There was a positive projection with Gabbert mostly because Scouts felt he would be able to learn quick, and handle the mental aspect of being an NFL QB...He has not been able to do that...

And just a note...I watch NFL Network, especially leading up to the Draft, religiously...I have for years now...I even tape "Path To The Draft." While you are correct that Mayock liked Gabbert best of the available QB's in 2010, I don't remember him ever saying Gabbert's Pro Day was the best he's ever seen...Maybe he did and I missed it...But anyway here's the link to his comments on Gabbert's Pro Day...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d81ece800/Mayock-evaluates-Gabberts-pro-day

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/07/draft-buzz-builds-around-e-j-manuel/

Coming out of the Combine,” Mayock said, “I felt like there was a quiet buzz among some of the teams. Not just his workout, more important to me, they like the kid, they think he’s smart, and in the meeting rooms at night he passed that test.”

Well...No one is right 100% of the time and Mayock is simply the best "TV Scout" out there...Gabbert was not exactly an easy evaluation either...He lacked experience, but has great physical tools, and he's really smart...There was a positive projection with Gabbert mostly because Scouts felt he would be able to learn quick, and handle the mental aspect of being an NFL QB...He has not been able to do that...

And just a note...I watch NFL Network, especially leading up to the Draft, religiously...I have for years now...I even tape "Path To The Draft." While you are correct that Mayock liked Gabbert best of the available QB's in 2010, I don't remember him ever saying Gabbert's Pro Day was the best he's ever seen...Maybe he did and I missed it...But anyway here's the link to his comments on Gabbert's Pro Day...

http://www.nfl.com/v...abberts-pro-day

Don't know if he said that about Gabbert, but he said it about JeMarcus Russell. Then again, so did all the other talking heads.

GO BILLS!!!

Quarterback

2. EJ Manuel, Florida State

3. Matt Barkley, USC

4. Mike Glennon, N.C. State

T-5. Ryan Nassib, Syracuse

T-5. Landry Jones, Oklahoma

This sucks!! I really like Manuel but I was hoping he'd be there in the 2nd.. Damn!

Tim-

You think this will change NFL Draft boards ? Me neither

Well, if they keep Fitz and add Manuel to the group (Fitz, Tjax and EJ), that would be as solid QB group to move forward with.

Surely you jest ! :doh:

JP Losman had the "tools" too. This year's QB class may be the worst in over a decade. I personally wouldn't draft any of these guys until the 3rd round.

Lol at that comparison. EJ's completion percentage was far superior to JP's in college. Losman's best full season comp% was 59.5, EJ Manuel peaked at 68 and no less than 65. YPA? EJ 8.8, JP maxed out at 7.3 in a weaker conference. Not even close.

Ha ha ha! I knew it! I told everyone that would listen that EJ will rise and rise fast in the draft. He is the best QB in this years' class. I hope he ends up a Bill. The kid has all the tools to be great.

I hopped on EJ pretty quickly. As Mayock and countless others have said, none of these guys is a "can't miss prospect." Now it's possible that some are more "can't miss" than others but if none of them are truly can't miss and have more or less the same likelihood of succeeding, why wouldn't you take the guy who clearly and obviously has substantially more physical talent than the others?

Especially if like Manuel, he has he's very smart and has no attitude problems?

And I like Tyler Wilson.

I like Wilson too. He reminds me of Stan Humphries, a guy with not a lot of physical talent but a true understanding of how to play football. I like Wilson better than Barkley for sure.

Those were his pre-combine rankings. Here are his post combine rankings. Manuel is not even in the top 5.

Quarterback

2. Matt Barkley, USC

3. Mike Glennon, N.C. State

4. Ryan Nassib, Syracuse

5. Landry Jones, Oklahoma

Regardless, Mayock addressed that discrepancy in the linked video.

You think this will change NFL Draft boards ? Me neither

No they probably didn't change because I'm sure most of the teams were higher on Manuel than most of the media. Probably a lot of QB needy teams were hoping that Manuel would remain publicly undervalued.

That's not the case anymore.

Manuel has it all: size, agility, arm strength, intelligence, character, and toughness. Does it mean he'll start day 1, much less lead the Bills to the playoffs this year? No. But with some grooming, he could be something. And I don't think the Bills can wait another year to take a QB and hope they get into position to get one. And I don't think they can wait until the 2nd round to pull the trigger on Manuel.

Manuel has it all: size, agility, arm strength, intelligence, character, and toughness. Does it mean he'll start day 1, much less lead the Bills to the playoffs this year? No. But with some grooming, he could be something. And I don't think the Bills can wait another year to take a QB and hope they get into position to get one. And I don't think they can wait until the 2nd round to pull the trigger on Manuel.

I don't know how high the Bills have Manuel rated as a qb. But if they do have him as their highest rated qb then odds are that other qb needy teams do also. Taking him at the 8 spot would be much too high. What they then need to do is to trade down, acqure more picks and then select him with their lower first round selection. If the Bills have Geno Smith rated higher then they should take him with their pick at the eight spot.

I agree with you that waiting another year is the wrong approach to take. Who knows if they will be in position to take a high end qb next year? Until a legitimate qb prospect is on the roster this team will remain mediocre with little chance for success.