E.J. Manuel - QB - Florida State

PIZ

Most FSU fans have been saying for years that Jimbo Fisher never adjusted his system to Manuel's talents. Watch this years past game against Clemson and you see how he should have used him all along. This is a kid that should have been unleashed and instead he was in a conservative offense, and while productive, it never exploited Manuel's full potential or skill set. Not to say EJ isn't to blame himself, he made his fair share of poor decisions and missed his share of open receivers with a bad passes. Doesn't seem like he lacks intangibles. He's one of four QB's this draft that wouldn't cause me to want to throw my remote if we took him along with Barkley, Glennon, and Bray. Not sure if he'll still be there in the second, remember, all it takes is one team to think he's the real thing and he'll go in the first.

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most FSU fans have been saying for years that Jimbo Fisher never adjusted his system to Manuel's talents. Watch this years past game against Clemson and you see how he should have used him all along. This is a kid that should have been unleashed and instead he was in a conservative offense, and while productive, it never exploited Manuel's full potential or skill set. Not to say EJ isn't to blame himself, he made his fair share of poor decisions and missed his share of open receivers with a bad passes. Doesn't seem like he lacks intangibles. He's one of four QB's this draft that wouldn't cause me to want to throw my remote if we took him along with Barkley, Glennon, and Bray. Not sure if he'll still be there in the second, remember, all it takes is one team to think he's the real thing and he'll go in the first.

Thank you for speaking to my questions about Manuel's college coaches.

Whether Bills fans appreciate it or not, Marrone is a Sean Payton protege and Nate Hackett is a Paul Hackett protege meaning both of them have great coaching pedigrees learning from NFL offensive masterminds.

More likely than not, Nassib had much better offensive coaching at Syracuse than Manuel did at FSU.

Whether Bills fans appreciate it or not, Marrone is a Sean Payton protege and Nate Hackett is a Paul Hackett protege meaning both of them have great coaching pedigrees learning from NFL offensive masterminds.

More likely than not, Nassib had much better offensive coaching at Syracuse than Manuel did at FSU.

Not to say Jimbo is a bad coach, i just don't think he ever fully extracted everything Manuel could give him. Always felt like he could have been more dynamic. Marrone is built for the NFL game, he's not a real nice pal like jauron or chan. He's a straight football guy. I'd rather than him developing a QB at the NFL level than Jimbo. I'd rather have Jimbo recruiting, though !

Not to say Jimbo is a bad coach, i just don't think he ever fully extracted everything Manuel could give him. Always felt like he could have been more dynamic. Marrone is built for the NFL game, he's not a real nice pal like jauron or chan. He's a straight football guy. I'd rather than him developing a QB at the NFL level than Jimbo. I'd rather have Jimbo recruiting, though !

Good stuff!

After 3 1/2 years with an inconsistent QB, the last thing I want is another inconsistent QB. Bad in his bowl game and lights out in the Senior Bowl. Everything I've read on the guy is that he's inconsistent, but IF he could put it together ...

I wouldn't hate it if we picked him, but I would be very skeptical.

You don't even have to like Manuel much to understand he's got a hell of a lot more going for him than Losman did...I'm not advocating Drafting Manuel at #8...But I'd be happy with him at #41...And I'm not even sure he'll make it that far...Manuel may be raw and have some accuracy issues...But he's got serious upside too...And QB's with his tools get over-drafted for a reason... B-)

This reasoning I don't understand.

If you think he has a good chance to be the kind of Qb that the Bills can build around, why would you want to wait around until the 41st pick to take him? What are they gonna do with the guy they select instead at 8? If they don't have a QB, ain't nothing happening anyway.

Complete careers (let alone draft picks) have gone to waste here in Buffalo, mostly because they haven't found a QB, and here you are saying "I like this guy, but let's wait around before we select him".

I don't get that....

Manuel may be raw and have some accuracy issues..

QBs with accuracy issues = Sucks

If he truly has accuracy issues, why would we even fool with him? Fitz and JP had accuracy issues too. History tells me this can't be easily fixed.

No thanks.

You have it backwards. The list you posted is Mayock's pre-combine list.

The new list has Manuel at #2.

The headline for todays rankings says it all:

"Mike Mayock elevates EJ Manuel in latest draft prospect rankings"

and this

"Mike Mayock unveils the third edition of his position-by-position draft prospect rankings for the 2013 NFL Draft, which features a dramatic change at quarterback."

My mistake, I clicked the link that said Post Combine rankings and that is what it shows. Seems kind of confusing to me, but you are right the one you posted is the third edition and the most recent.

After 3 1/2 years with an inconsistent QB, the last thing I want is another inconsistent QB. Bad in his bowl game and lights out in the Senior Bowl. Everything I've read on the guy is that he's inconsistent, but IF he could put it together ...

I wouldn't hate it if we picked him, but I would be very skeptical.

Bad in Bowl games? He's undefeated in Bowl games. 4 & 0. Yeah, that's horrible. Where did you get your info from? As a matter of fact, EJ is only the second quarterback who has won four straight bowl games in college football history.

Edited by NoJustice

QBs with accuracy issues = Sucks

If he truly has accuracy issues, why would we even fool with him? Fitz and JP had accuracy issues too. History tells me this can't be easily fixed.

No thanks.

Crazy that a guy how just completed 68% of his passes (almost 9 yards per attempt) and had 65 % as his career low has accuracy issues that can't be fixed. http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/380849/ej-manuel

And like most draft "experts," this ratings need to be taken with a huge grain of salt. Mayock loved Blaine Gabbert and wasn't a fan of Cam Newton.

Bad in Bowl games? He's undefeated in Bowl games. 4 & 0. Yeah, that's horrible. Where did you get your info from? As a matter of fact, EJ is only the second quarterback who has won four straight bowl games in college football history.

I watched the game. He was not exactly playing against the best of competition in that game either. As I recall, he was good on some passes and horribly off on others. Sounds like someone I've been living with the last 3 1/2 years.

We need an accurate QB. Not a project with upside. IMHO.

But he looked great in the senior bowl. Of course that dude made a great catch for the TD in the EZ. Not sure who on our team would have caught that one.

Like I said I wouldn't hate it if we got him, but I would be skeptical, as I am with Coach Marrone and staff.

Edited by reddogblitz

There is no doubt that Gabbert wasn't ready to play last year. He had a disasterous season with a horrible team. However, that doesn't mean that he has no chance to develop into a legitimate franchise qb. Some rookie qbs are better able to handle the daunting challenge of playing right away. While most rookie qbs are overwhelmed if they are immediately inserted as a starter.

Before he is considered a total bust it might be more prudent to be patient and see how he does in his second year. Most draft evaluators believed that he had the physical tools to play in the pro ranks. Now the major question is whether he has the makeup to play in the league. Let's just be a little more patient before considering him as an abject failrue.

Ouch, poor Blaine. Apparently his play is so underwhelming that you blocked his entire rookie year out of your head. Blaine was drafted in 2011, same as Cam Newton, and played 15 games. Last year, he played in 10 games before getting hurt, and improved his numbers from "historically abysmal" to "really bad." A similar jump next year would put him at about league average.

Interestingly enough, you aren't the only one to mind-wipe his rookie season. NFL.com's player page still lists him as a rookie:

http://www.nfl.com/player/blainegabbert/2495441/careerstats

Since all of these QBs basically equally suck, lets just wait until the 2nd round and draft whoever is left.

If you look at the teams drafting ahead of us in the 2nd, they all have been equally as bad as the Bills over the last decade when they have tried to solve their QB problem.

Let the other teams infront of us mess up, again, and we will draft the best prospect by default!

BRILLIANT!!!!

Ouch, poor Blaine. Apparently his play is so underwhelming that you blocked his entire rookie year out of your head. Blaine was drafted in 2011, same as Cam Newton, and played 15 games. Last year, he played in 10 games before getting hurt, and improved his numbers from "historically abysmal" to "really bad." A similar jump next year would put him at about league average.

Interestingly enough, you aren't the only one to mind-wipe his rookie season. NFL.com's player page still lists him as a rookie:

http://www.nfl.com/p...441/careerstats

Blaine's performances so far have been disaterous. No one is claiming otherwise. All I am suggesting is that qbs have different rates of development. Can he be salvaged? Odds are probably not. But after making such a high investment in him wouldn't it be reasonable to give him more time to see if he can turn it around? Sometimes throwing a rookie qb into the line of fire when he is not prepared to handle the challenge sets the qb's development back. Aaron Rogers sat for at least three years before he got significant playing time. That delayed playing strategy worked out for him. Qbs have different makeups. Some qbs respond better with immediate playing time and some don't. Gabbert certainly was overwhelmed with the early exposure to the point that he is damaged goods. That doesn't mean that he is not a redeemable player.

Its some of both. Yes, EJ is supremely talented but frustratingly inconsistent. But Jimbo did him no favors. The offense was not always designed to best utilize EJ. After the clemson game, EJ stopped running and Jimbo rarely took shots down the field. It was baffling to most of us FSU fans. Jimbo is an odd bird. He never let EJ just go out and win the game unless it was necessary.

I watched the game. He was not exactly playing against the best of competition in that game either. As I recall, he was good on some passes and horribly off on others. Sounds like someone I've been living with the last 3 1/2 years.

We need an accurate QB. Not a project with upside. IMHO.

But he looked great in the senior bowl. Of course that dude made a great catch for the TD in the EZ. Not sure who on our team would have caught that one.

What? :huh:

That ball was perfectly thrown. He could not have placed it better if he ran it down and handed it to the guy...The receiver did nothing but put his hands up...

http://www.nfl.com/v...Bowl-highlights

Edited by KOKBILLS

Crazy that a guy how just completed 68% of his passes (almost 9 yards per attempt) and had 65 % as his career low has accuracy issues that can't be fixed. http://espn.go.com/c...80849/ej-manuel

And like most draft "experts," this ratings need to be taken with a huge grain of salt. Mayock loved Blaine Gabbert and wasn't a fan of Cam Newton.

High completion % does not necessarily indicate great accuracy. Fitz has completed over 60% of his passes for 2 straight years but he is horribly inaccurate. That being said, I have no idea if Manuel has accuracy issues, I have not seen him play much.

High completion % does not necessarily indicate great accuracy. Fitz has completed over 60% of his passes for 2 straight years but he is horribly inaccurate. That being said, I have no idea if Manuel has accuracy issues, I have not seen him play much.

There's a huge difference between Ryan's 60.6% and paltry 6.7 YPA and EJ's 68% at a whopping 8.8 YPA.