E.J. Manuel - QB - Florida State

PIZ

Well...No one is right 100% of the time and Mayock is simply the best "TV Scout" out there...Gabbert was not exactly an easy evaluation either...He lacked experience, but has great physical tools, and he's really smart...There was a positive projection with Gabbert mostly because Scouts felt he would be able to learn quick, and handle the mental aspect of being an NFL QB...He has not been able to do that...

And just a note...I watch NFL Network, especially leading up to the Draft, religiously...I have for years now...I even tape "Path To The Draft." While you are correct that Mayock liked Gabbert best of the available QB's in 2010, I don't remember him ever saying Gabbert's Pro Day was the best he's ever seen...Maybe he did and I missed it...But anyway here's the link to his comments on Gabbert's Pro Day...

http://www.nfl.com/v...abberts-pro-day

There is no doubt that Gabbert wasn't ready to play last year. He had a disasterous season with a horrible team. However, that doesn't mean that he has no chance to develop into a legitimate franchise qb. Some rookie qbs are better able to handle the daunting challenge of playing right away. While most rookie qbs are overwhelmed if they are immediately inserted as a starter.

Before he is considered a total bust it might be more prudent to be patient and see how he does in his second year. Most draft evaluators believed that he had the physical tools to play in the pro ranks. Now the major question is whether he has the makeup to play in the league. Let's just be a little more patient before considering him as an abject failrue.

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NFL Path to the draft today reviewed the Bills. One scenario was a trade to 6th, giving up a 3rd, for Geno Smith. I shouted NO! Smith is the best of an average class. Don't waste a 3rd when you have other glaring needs. I don't there is a team after the Bills that would draft a QB in the first round. If the Bills pass on a QB, there will plenty of them available in the first part of the second. Manuel would be a good addition to the Bills.

I don't know how high the Bills have Manuel rated as a qb. But if they do have him as their highest rated qb then odds are that other qb needy teams do also. Taking him at the 8 spot would be much too high. What they then need to do is to trade down, acqure more picks and then select him with their lower first round selection. If the Bills have Geno Smith rated higher then they should take him with their pick at the eight spot.

I agree with you that waiting another year is the wrong approach to take. Who knows if they will be in position to take a high end qb next year? Until a legitimate qb prospect is on the roster this team will remain mediocre with little chance for success.

If they have Manuel as their highest rated QB, they have to take him at 8. Trading down just invites another team (the Jets) to take him.

NFL Path to the draft today reviewed the Bills. One scenario was a trade to 6th, giving up a 3rd, for Geno Smith. I shouted NO! Smith is the best of an average class. Don't waste a 3rd when you have other glaring needs. I don't there is a team after the Bills that would draft a QB in the first round. If the Bills pass on a QB, there will plenty of them available in the first part of the second. Manuel would be a good addition to the Bills.

Agreed.

I've been saying this for weeks and will probably continue to say it:

Trade down into the "QB Sweet Spot" which is probably picks 15-25. Pick up extra picks and get one of several viable quarterbacks who will definitely be available. In that range, besides being available, you would be getting good value (and more draft picks).

Trading up in a draft like this would be criminally stupid.

If they have Manuel as their highest rated QB, they have to take him at 8. Trading down just invites another team (the Jets) to take him.

If that's the guy they like and they like him a lot.

If they like 2-3 guys about the same (Nassib, Wilson, Manuel for instance), it would suffice to trade into the sweet spot.

I fail to see how the overall average of the draft class effects the individual prospect.

If Geno is a legitimate Top 10 prospect.....what difference does it make that the rest of the QBs are scrubs?

History has shown that the scouting ability for QBs is very good. If there is a QB in this draft who has the potential to become Elite, there is a miniscule chance that the scouts miss this......and therefore a miniscule chance that he will last past the 36th selection.

If we want a QB who can do more than be a backup......we will need to trade up from our #41 pick.

I just don't see Manuel being ranked that high up in this draft. Not because he doesn't have talent but because he is the type of prospect who will require some grooming. Would it be a risk to trade down and possibly lose your favored qb? Yes. But as a consolation you would have addtional pick/picks to address other needs and still come up with a good qb prospect in the first or second round.

Why would the Jets draft a qb who requires some preparation time with their first pick? If they draft a qb in the first round, which I doubt, they would take a prospect who could immediately challenge Sanchez.

I've been saying this for weeks and will probably continue to say it:

Trade down into the "QB Sweet Spot" which is probably picks 15-25. Pick up extra picks and get one of several viable quarterbacks who will definitely be available. In that range, besides being available, you would be getting good value (and more draft picks).

I totally agree with this......under the proviso that there are multiple 1st round graded QBs that can be selected in that range.

I'd hate to trade down.....have the team trading pick QB #2 and then the Jets pick QB #3....leaving us with egg on our faces.

Edited by Dibs

Damn , I thought the Bills could quietly grab this guy . Now Mayock started all this hype up . lol . My friends that are Seminole fans down here in FL can't say enough good things about EJ both on and off the field . Watch the Clemson game on youtube if youre not familiar with his playing . His combine press conference was also encouraging that this kid has his head on straight and can be a good leader IMO.

I just don't see Manuel being ranked that high up in this draft. Not because he doesn't have talent but because he is the type of prospect who will require some grooming. Would it be a risk to trade down and possibly lose your favored qb? Yes. But as a consolation you would have addtional pick/picks to address other needs and still come up with a good qb prospect in the first or second round.

Why would the Jets draft a qb who requires some preparation time with their first pick? If they draft a qb in the first round, which I doubt, they would take a prospect who could immediately challenge Sanchez.

What QB doesn't need some prep time? There are no QB's who figure to be able to start immediately.

What QB doesn't need some prep time? There are no QB's who figure to be able to start immediately.

Of course all young qbs need prep time. But that doesn't mean that certain qbs can't play right away and develop while they are playing. On the other hand less prepared qbs would have a melt down if they were thrown right into the real stage. Last year RGIII, Luck demonstrated fairly quickly that although they had their struggles were not overwhelmed by starting right away. Russell Wilson had a slow first half but came on the second half of the season.

Regarding Manuel I don't see him as a qb who would be starting right away. Although Barkley might have some physical limitations he would be more ready to play than qbs such as Manuel, Glennon, Nassib and Wilson.

He must be rating these guys based on their physical measureables... certainly not on their intangeables, ability to process information and react quickly , and leadership qualities.

I don't think this is a valid statement/criticism.

We have zero true knowledge as to how good his coaching under Jimbo Fisher and staff was.

What if he received bad coaching?

All of these quarterbacks performed in different circumstances. What if Nassib had much better coaching under Marrone and Hackett than EJ did at Florida State?

Also on what do you base your criticism of his leadership qualities?

Just a hunch - the Bills are not planning to trade back into the end of the first to get the QB they want. That was their plan two years ago when they allegedly targeted Christian Ponder with a bullseye. Indeed, Andre Reed got into some trouble when he said before the draft that the Bills loved Ponder (we never heard Andre's pre-draft commentary again after that snafu). Of course, Ponder did not last until late in the first; he went 12th. He's not a great QB, but he's better than what the Bills currently have, and the Bills would love to have him. I fully expect that they won't take any more chances and they'll roll the dice on one of the QBs with the 8th pick. Who it will be I don't know, but I don't expect to see them trading up to the 28 spot to get the fourth QB of the first round.

Edited by dave mcbride

so is your average brussel sprout

wrong! the average brussel sprout is just a little smarter than Cam Newton not way smarter- and just to clarify on the three quicks I don't mean that he stands around like a deer in the headlights, just that he's not quite as good as Geno Smith and to a lesser extent Barkely of making a positive play under heavy pass rush.

Of course all young qbs need prep time. But that doesn't mean that certain qbs can't play right away and develop while they are playing. On the other hand less prepared qbs would have a melt down if they were thrown right into the real stage. Last year RGIII, Luck demonstrated fairly quickly that although they had their struggles were not overwhelmed by starting right away. Russell Wilson had a slow first half but came on the second half of the season.

Regarding Manuel I don't see him as a qb who would be starting right away. Although Barkley might have some physical limitations he would be more ready to play than qbs such as Manuel, Glennon, Nassib and Wilson.

Manuel could start and be an ideal read option QB. There might be some hiccups initially, like with many rookie starters, but he should be able to progress.

I've had the opportunity to watch Manuel for his whole career. He fits the new NFL QB mold - can run anytime for big gains and can pass well when needed. His receivers the last two years didn't help him out much and his line, while good, was ridiculously young. I'm not sure I agree with the new NFL QB mold, since most of these guys will be out of the game after a couple of QB options end up badly, but he's a gamer and I think he will succeed for someone.