E.J. Manuel - QB - Florida State

PIZ

I'd rather see The Bills trade down and collect extra picks...I'm never in favor of giving up picks to trade up when a team has as as many holes as The Bills do, unless the target is clearly a Franchise caliber QB...There are none of those QB's in this Draft...

I like the idea of Manuel...My theory is simple...If each of these QB's after Geno have big holes in their game right now, why not get the guy with the biggest upside? I think Manuel has the biggest upside of all the QB's not named Smith...I also think Manuel won't go in the Top 15...But after that there is no telling...So why not trade down a bit, grab some extra picks, and still secure Manuel? Those extra picks will come in handy...There are plenty of holes to fill... B-)

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe trading back is our best bet. Frankly, I don't see anyone willing to trade up. Gathering more picks to fill more holes will benefit this team more than moving up and losing picks.

there were 16 trades in the 1st round last year.

Every year the trade game gets more and more out of control. Teams are more willing to give up the farm for that 1 player than ever before, regardless of position. Last year the first 6 of 7 picks were jiggled around. For guys like Barron, Blackmon, Richardson, Claiborne. None of them were QBs other than RG3 which was before the draft even started. To make statements that teams don't move up is ridiculous. If your argument is that the talent isn't as good this year as it was last year, then my reply would be.... That's more of a reason why teams would want to move up, to get one of the few guys they actually feel is worthy of their 1st round pick.

This is just an educated guess on my part, but I sincerely doubt you'll have to trade back into the first round for Manuel. He was looking like a 3rd round pick prior to the Senior Bowl, but there's a chance he's a 2nd rounder now.

Most likely 3rd at best on a few team's boards, although I'd suspect he's hovering around the 4th-6th rated QB on most boards.

Couldn't the same thing be said about Nassib? Yet many fans want the Bills to trade back into the 1st or take him in the 2nd because he played for Marrone.

I know I'm being inconsistent here, b/c I always say college stats don't mean much, but it concerns me that Mingo doesn't get many sacks. If he's not getting them in college I fear he won't get them in the pros.

Scroll down to the Jan 17th Update here...http://www.gbnreport.com/breakingdownthedraft.html

I just remembered reading this when I saw Mingo/Jordan mentioned in this thread...

BTW...I think Jordan goes Top 7 by the time it's all said and done... B-)

Scroll down to the Jan 17th Update here...http://www.gbnreport...wnthedraft.html

I just remembered reading this when I saw Mingo/Jordan mentioned in this thread...

BTW...I think Jordan goes Top 7 by the time it's all said and done... B-)

I do too.

He's the sort of talent that even teams who don't have a need for a pass rusher have to seriously consider drafting if he's there.

I believe trading back is our best bet. Frankly, I don't see anyone willing to trade up. Gathering more picks to fill more holes will benefit this team more than moving up and losing picks.

After his performance at the Senior Bowl I could see the Rams potentially packaging their two 1sts to move into the top 10 and grab the LT Fisher...

Edited by 910BillsFan

After his performance at the Senior Bowl I could see the Rams potentially packaging their two 1sts to move into the top 10 and grab the LT Fisher...

Lets hope The Bills take that call!!!

The Rams have 16, 22, and 46...I think something could be worked out... B-)

I do too.

He's the sort of talent that even teams who don't have a need for a pass rusher have to seriously consider drafting if he's there.

Agreed...Can't wait to see what Jordan's workout numbers are...

It's going to be interesting to see if there is a sure Top 7-10 players in this Draft...It's starting to look like there might be....I'm hoping there is enough talent there at #8 to entice a team to Trade up and give the Bills a 2nd Round Pick...I feel a lot better about taking one of these QB's in the 1st if The Bills pick up an extra 2nd...It does look like there will be a couple REAL good Offensive Line prospects at #8 should a team in the mid-teens want to come up... B-)

Couldn't the same thing be said about Nassib? Yet many fans want the Bills to trade back into the 1st or take him in the 2nd because he played for Marrone.

Perhaps...reading the tea leaves, I get the impression that Nassib is viewed a bit more favorably around the league than Manuel. I think Nassib will be a 2nd round guy regardless.

As for the fans that want him...I can speak to that. I wouldn't be excited about drafting him, but you can say that about a few different passers this year. The guys I'd be excited about are Wilson and Manuel, but that's just me.

there were 16 trades in the 1st round last year.

Every year the trade game gets more and more out of control. Teams are more willing to give up the farm for that 1 player than ever before, regardless of position. Last year the first 6 of 7 picks were jiggled around. For guys like Barron, Blackmon, Richardson, Claiborne. None of them were QBs other than RG3 which was before the draft even started. To make statements that teams don't move up is ridiculous. If your argument is that the talent isn't as good this year as it was last year, then my reply would be.... That's more of a reason why teams would want to move up, to get one of the few guys they actually feel is worthy of their 1st round pick.

The issue here is that trading down jettisons the team's opportunity to draft a top 10 talent. Right now, Buffalo is absolutely guaranteed to get one of the top 8 players on their board...why give that up?

The best approach to take is trade down and then get your highest rated qb. My prererence at this point is Tyler Wilson. With an extra pick or two other positions can be addressed. I don't like the idea of using your high first round pick and then trading back up into the first round to acquire your qb. The Bills need more picks, not less. My suspicion is that there is going to be a qb run at the top of the second round, just before we make our second round pick.

If the front office believes that they can get a good qb prospect with their second round pick then just stay pat and take the best defensive player with your first round selection. Buddy has a history of not maneuvering around during the draft. Is he going to act out of his comfortable zone this year? If others are more involved in the process then there might be more action coming from our table.

The best approach to take is trade down and then get your highest rated qb. My prererence at this point is Tyler Wilson. With an extra pick or two other positions can be addressed. I don't like the idea of using your high first round pick and then trading back up into the first round to acquire your qb. The Bills need more picks, not less. My suspicion is that there is going to be a qb run at the top of the second round, just before we make our second round pick.

If the front office believes that they can get a good qb prospect with their second round pick then just stay pat and take the best defensive player with your first round selection. Buddy has a history of not maneuvering around during the draft. Is he going to act out of his comfortable zone this year? If others are more involved in the process then there might be more action coming from our table.

As I mentioned above, I fail to see how this is the best approach.

What is the point of having a top 10 pick if you aren't going to use it? This team needs a top 10 talent, not multiple role players, which they already possess.

If the team likes a QB enough to consider him a franchise QB, take him at 8th overall; don't risk losing him. Ten years from now, if the guy can play, nobody will be complaining that the team spent a 1st rounder when they possibly could've had him in the 2nd.

In my opinion, the best approach to the draft is to pick the player that the team feels will help them win the most games over the next 10 years. Perennial playoff teams can trade down and not risk losing a franchise player; the Bills aren't one of these teams, and can ill afford to lose out on a franchise-changing player.

What is the point of having a top 10 pick if you aren't going to use it? This team needs a top 10 talent, not multiple role players, which they already possess.

If the team likes a QB enough to consider him a franchise QB, take him at 8th overall; don't risk losing him. Ten years from now, if the guy can play, nobody will be complaining that the team spent a 1st rounder when they possibly could've had him in the 2nd.

In my opinion, the best approach to the draft is to pick the player that the team feels will help them win the most games over the next 10 years. Perennial playoff teams can trade down and not risk losing a franchise player; the Bills aren't one of these teams, and can ill afford to lose out on a franchise-changing player.

Agree, unless they are convinced they can trade down and get the QB they want. Don't trade down unless you are going QB and bypassing a Top 10 talent. I think they stay @ #8 and would agree that we need Top 10 talent, not more 'Great Special Teamers"

If you have a top ten pick and believe that you can still select your preferred qb at a lower position why wouldn't you do that if it would bring in extra picks? What if the Bills believe that there are two or three qbs that they really like and if they lose one of their favorite prospects in the drop down they still would be in position to get one of them. Why wouldn't you consider that maneuver?

This year's qb batch is not the same as last year's qb batch. There were two acknowledged elite prospects. That isn't the case this year. I'm open to all options to bolstering the roster. If getting added picks with the assumption that you can still come out of the draft with a quality qb prospect then why not?

If you have a top ten pick and believe that you can still select your preferred qb at a lower position why wouldn't you do that if it would bring in extra picks? What if the Bills believe that there are two or three qbs that they really like and if they lose one of their favorite prospects in the drop down they still would be in position to get one of them. Why wouldn't you consider that maneuver?

This year's qb batch is not the same as last year's qb batch. There were two acknowledged elite prospects. That isn't the case this year. I'm open to all options to bolstering the roster. If getting added picks with the assumption that you can still come out of the draft with a quality qb prospect then why not?

The only argument I have is that my Son, who is a coach in college has had the opportunity to sit in draft rooms twice with two different teams and based on that, and I know this may not apply to all 32 teams, teams in need of a QB aren't thinking they'll be happy with 'Any of two or three QB's". Once all the meetings have taken place they have a definite view on who they want @ QB, maybe not with every position, but QB is a different. I really think the Bills, if they realy want a QB in this draft are going to make sure they get him, not hope they get him..... or be just as happy with Player A or Player B. I just don't see that as a viable scenario.

I think, in general, teams don't look at QBs and identify 2 or 3 they'd be happy with, especially in a draft like this year's. My understanding is that it's more of a "beauty in the eye of the beholder" scenario, where a team identifies a guy they like. Also, with QBs being at a premium, I can't abide playing passive and waiting to see who falls to you...again, that's something a successful team can afford to do. Teams that need a culture change need to be agressive.

The only argument I have is that my Son, who is a coach in college has had the opportunity to sit in draft rooms twice with two different teams and based on that, and I know this may not apply to all 32 teams, teams in need of a QB aren't thinking they'll be happy with 'Any of two or three QB's". Once all the meetings have taken place they have a definite view on who they want @ QB, maybe not with every position, but QB is a different. I really think the Bills, if they realy want a QB in this draft are going to make sure they get him, not hope they get him..... or be just as happy with Player A or Player B. I just don't see that as a viable scenario.

Yes, that's how I see it, and it's also how it has been relayed to me from folks I know with similar experience to your son.

I am sold on Dion Jordan and hope he is still available when we select- and that we select him

All the above notwithstanding...I do like Jordan. He is a great athlete and very scheme diverse...I just don't think he's a top 10 talent in this year's draft and am not excited about spending a top 10 pick on a position where so many resources have already been devoted over the last year.