E.J. Manuel - QB - Florida State

PIZ

Blaine's performances so far have been disaterous. No one is claiming otherwise. All I am suggesting is that qbs have different rates of development. Can he be salvaged? Odds are probably not. But after making such a high investment in him wouldn't it be reasonable to give him more time to see if he can turn it around? Sometimes throwing a rookie qb into the line of fire when he is not prepared to handle the challenge sets the qb's development back. Aaron Rogers sat for at least three years before he got significant playing time. That delayed playing strategy worked out for him. Qbs have different makeups. Some qbs respond better with immediate playing time and some don't. Gabbert certainly was overwhelmed with the early exposure to the point that he is damaged goods. That doesn't mean that he is not a redeemable player.

Gabbert's exactly the reasons I don't want us to draft any non-Geno QB at #8. He's the only one I'm willing to take a 3-year flier on, because no matter how bad your Top 15 (or maybe even 1st round) QB plays, you have to give him about 3 years before you can cut him and move on. Unless, of course, a better option wins the job and plays well, in which case you can let the high pick ride the pine. But when the backup plays at Kelly Holcomb level, the #1 pick is going to get back into the starting lineup pretty soon.

Anyway, I think Gabbert's a total bust, and he's (so far) one of the few QB prospects I was exactly right on. But I don't disagree with your logic in the abstract -- nobody wants to be the Tampa Bay in Steve Young's career. However, my last post wasn't so much intended as a disagreement with "wait and see on Gabbert", more a friendly correction on this statement:

Before he is considered a total bust it might be more prudent to be patient and see how he does in his second year.

Last year was Blaine's second year, and to his credit, he did significantly raise his game. I'm actually interested to see if his career can be salvaged at this point. Like I said, if he takes another jump next year, that puts him at about league average.

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What? :huh:

That ball was perfectly thrown. He could not have placed it better if he ran it down and handed it to the guy...The receiver did nothing but put his hands up...

http://www.nfl.com/v...Bowl-highlights

Yeah, you can't throw a better ball than that.

Last year was Blaine's second year, and to his credit, he did significantly raise his game. I'm actually interested to see if his career can be salvaged at this point. Like I said, if he takes another jump next year, that puts him at about league average.

As bad as Gabbert's 2nd season was, he looked better than Mallett did. And some people here are advocating trading a pick, much less a day 2 pick, for Mallett. :rolleyes:

What? :huh:

That ball was perfectly thrown. He could not have placed it better if he ran it down and handed it to the guy...The receiver did nothing but put his hands up...

http://www.nfl.com/v...Bowl-highlights

I watched and yeah you're right it was very nice throw. However I'm still sticking with Not sure who on our team would have caught that one. Hitting any one of our current WRs in the hands is no guarantee of a catch. Hopefully that changes.

Straight from the guy that said Blaine Gabbert had the best pro day ever...like throughout time... and was going to be the best QB of that draft class...

Funny thing is, if you click the proflie for EJ Manuel and read his bio, they comapre him to Blaine lol

Anyway, I think Gabbert's a total bust, and he's (so far) one of the few QB prospects I was exactly right on. But I don't disagree with your logic in the abstract -- nobody wants to be the Tampa Bay in Steve Young's career. However, my last post wasn't so much intended as a disagreement with "wait and see on Gabbert", more a friendly correction on this statement:

If the Jaguars draft a qb in the first two rounds that will give you an indication as to whether they think he is salvageable or not.

As long as he is progressing in his game that certainly is a positive sign. Just because a qb doesn't develop into an elite qb that doesn't mean that he can't become a legitimate starting qb, something the Bills haven't had for a very long time.

For some reason I kept repeating that Gabbert was a rookie last year. Even after you corrected my misstatement I again made the same error. Being stupid is one thing but being stubbornly stupid is unacceptable. I'm off to the woodship to get my behind whooped. It's called kickass learning! :doh:

Edited by JohnC

There's a huge difference between Ryan's 60.6% and paltry 6.7 YPA and EJ's 68% at a whopping 8.8 YPA.

Yeah I'm not one who trusts statistics very much but when you couple a high completion percentage with a high yards per attempt, it's hard to imagine a scenario where that player is inaccurate.

Not saying it's not possible, but just hard to imagine.

Yeah, you can't throw a better ball than that. As bad as Gabbert's 2nd season was, he looked better than Mallett did. And some people here are advocating trading a pick, much less a day 2 pick, for Mallett. :rolleyes:

I never wanted Mallett and still don't but in fairness, he hasn't taken enough snaps to evaluate his play.

I never wanted Mallett and still don't but in fairness, he hasn't taken enough snaps to evaluate his play.

On one hand, the lack of snaps reveals that the Pats don't think too highly of him since he did get into a couple games when Brady wasn't injured. On the other hand, the few snaps he has taken say that he's not worth anything at this time.

NFL Path to the draft today reviewed the Bills. One scenario was a trade to 6th, giving up a 3rd, for Geno Smith. I shouted NO! Smith is the best of an average class. Don't waste a 3rd when you have other glaring needs. I don't there is a team after the Bills that would draft a QB in the first round. If the Bills pass on a QB, there will plenty of them available in the first part of the second. Manuel would be a good addition to the Bills.

Did that help,you think?

I hopped on EJ pretty quickly. As Mayock and countless others have said, none of these guys is a "can't miss prospect." Now it's possible that some are more "can't miss" than others but if none of them are truly can't miss and have more or less the same likelihood of succeeding, why wouldn't you take the guy who clearly and obviously has substantially more physical talent than the others?

Especially if like Manuel, he has he's very smart and has no attitude problems?

I like Wilson too. He reminds me of Stan Humphries, a guy with not a lot of physical talent but a true understanding of how to play football. I like Wilson better than Barkley for sure.

Regardless, Mayock addressed that discrepancy in the linked video.

No they probably didn't change because I'm sure most of the teams were higher on Manuel than most of the media. Probably a lot of QB needy teams were hoping that Manuel would remain publicly undervalued.

That's not the case anymore.

I, too, like Tyler Wilson or at least have been warming to the idea of taking him... just don't know enough about him still.

Wondering how high teams actually are on Wilson; and if there's any more decent insight on his potential.

Edited by Yonder_d7

Since we last discussed this subject in late January, there's been some more video made available for EJ Manuel.

Here's a video of his performance in the Orange Bowl vs Northern Illinois:

When you see this kid's natural talents and understand the fact that he has excellent character and intelligence, I don't see how he's not the top QB prospect in this class.

Those QBs ranked above Manuel have only one advantage over him which is that they are considered to be more "pro-ready."

Give me the guy with way more talent over the guy who's more polished.

Put differently, give me Kaepernick over Dalton.

Every time.

I'll post the rest of his videos over the course of the evening but apparently our site restricts the posting of video files to one per post.

Dion Jordan is a difference maker at DE/OLB. He gives us the pressure rusher we need. I really think Manuel has IT. Get some help at LB, WR, and OL later or in FA. Those are the 2 rookies I want most.

Why do you say Manuel has IT? I haven't heard a lot out of him so I'm curious.

Dion Jordan is a difference maker at DE/OLB. He gives us the pressure rusher we need. I really think Manuel has IT. Get some help at LB, WR, and OL later or in FA. Those are the 2 rookies I want most.

I would love for the draft to fall this way for us...EJ has the tools for the present NFL. He may start out a little rough but he played in a pro set offense, a film junkie and has the leadership qualities to succeed IMO. Jordan is the edge rusher plus the length (6'-7") built a lot like Aldon Smith with comparable agility...

I said he reminded me of Rivers just because to me he looks like him in the pocket....BIG. Dion Jordan reminds me of Aldon Smith and John Abraham. It would be great to have 2 top DEs rushing the passer. I don't think there is a MLB worthy of the number 8 spot. The top of the draft is loaded with pass rushers and we need them to compete with NE.

I don't care what others say about Manuel........I love the guy and think he is big enough and smart enough and talented enough for the Bills. We are going to be a running team, right?

E.J. And Tyler are the best of the entire bunch. Period.

Either one of those two can start, and PUT POINTS ON THE BOARD immediately. I'm not with all this 'grooming,' and 'finding the right fit for our offense' -What offense?!

I have my concerns about E.J. as well as Tyler, but if you've watched these two play in college, you wouldn't even be thinking about Ryan Nassib.

Geno Smith has a tremendous arm, but he's not the type of QB that puts the team on his back, and guts-out a win.

Both E.J. and Tyler can give you that. These kids WANT TO PERFORM... I like Geno... He's super talented. I wouldn't HATE him as our QB. -But Geno is not the best QB option available.

In a QB crop as sketchy as this one, it's imperative to pick the cream.

Edited by #34fan