Poll: Should the "Redskins" name be changed?

Just in Atlanta

Redskins Name Change  

539 members have voted

1. 1. Should the "Redskins" name be changed?

• Yes. It's a derogatory word and the NFL should set a good example.
    • No. It's not derogatory to most people and changing it would set a bad example.
    • Maybe. I don't have a strong opinion but I wouldn't be fazed by a name change.
  2. 2. How many of the following statements capture your views?

• It's insensitive to have a team name that denotes skin color.
    • I'm deeply offended; it's borderline bigotry.
    • It's a politically-correct manufactured controversy.
    • Another example of a select "offended" few forcing their PC views on everyone.
    • The term doesn't bother me but it is offensive to many others.
    • I value tradition in this debate.
    • Why is this even an issue?

This thread keeps popping up. I totally agree that it may be offensive and all that good stuff, but week one is approaching. This thread should be buried somewhere until the Bills pick up a native American player via trade, free agency or draft...

Just want to say, I'm not being insensitive, just that I'm not in a save the world mood today. More in a can't wait til we "skin" Brady's head til we see red mood...

false - i have a friend who is 1/16th cherokee and he says NO ONE opposes the name.

Haha. This one made me laugh. I always have a chuckle when I ask a girl what her nationality is and she says, well I'm Irish, German, Native American, Spanish, Bulgarian, Romanian, Greek, Turkish, Russian, Chinese, Iranian, Jamaican, Chinese (with a slight voice she might say) that's why my eyes are chinky, oh and African American...

I'm like yeah that was great to hear. Seems like your parents had an orgy...

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Rick Reilly's defense of the name: http://espn.go.com/n...not-easy-sounds

and Dave Zirin's (of The Nation) response: http://www.thenation...will-ever-read#

Rick Reilly is awful. It should definitely be changed now.

And again, if the majority of Native Americans want it change, then change it. Save your stupid tradition and PC arguments. They're worthless. Face it gramps, the world is changing. The ignorance on this board is sad.

And again, if the majority of Native Americans want it change, then change it. Save your stupid tradition and PC arguments. They're worthless. Face it gramps, the world is changing. The ignorance on this board is sad.

What if the majority of American Indians don't want it changed? Then will you climb down from your high horse?

Edited by KD in CT

An interesting twist on this is that the team's QB is led by RGIII, who as a youth growing up was a "army brat." That is an interesting term: brat. From the military side of society, it is an endearing term. On the civilian side, it is a not so flattering term.

Maybe they should just change the name to the Washington Brats. Then everybody will be happy, define the word the way they want to.

Save your use of the word "ignorance". Spare us this PC into oblivion attitude. Face it, those clamoring to change this are whiners and expect the world to change for a select minority of people, as with everything else that offends their sensibilities. Sooner or later people are going to say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH and these kinds of agendas will be rejected!

And rick reillys 1991 article on the same topic:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1140310/1/index.htm

"It hurts," says Roger Head, a Chippewa who heads the Minnesota Indian Affairs Council. "It's not a true depiction of the Indian people. When we see these folks dressed as Indians and wearing war paint, the stereotypes of Indians come out. They wear headdresses, which are very spiritual in nature, very ceremonial. It would be like if we went to a game with a lot of Catholics and started giving communion in the stands or hearing confession. It wouldn't show respect."

Your sympathy is still at the cleaners? Put yourself in the shoes of a 10-year-old Indian kid. The Indians he knows do not walk around with painted faces. The Indians he knows do not shoot flaming arrows and dance around drums. The Indians he knows are not savages preparing for battle.

"We thought those racial barriers were broken down," says Head. "And here it pops up again. It makes us angry."

If we can have the Washington Redskins, why can't we have the Los Angeles Yellowskins? And if we can have the Cleveland Indians—whose grinning-injun logo is to American Indians what Stepin Fetchit is to African-Americans—why can't we have the San Diego Chicanos?

Edited by NoSaint

1234050_682238148470785_1182921393_n.jpg

The funny part about this? If the Redskins actually did it, the exact same group of whiners would be front and center about how the new logo is exclusionary to blacks and others and therefore racist by white people rather than racist toward white people.

The funny part about this? If the Redskins actually did it, the exact same group of whiners would be front and center about how the new logo is exclusionary to blacks and others and therefore racist by white people rather than racist toward white people.

We agree on something... holy hell!! LOL