Buffalo Bills fire Head Coach Chan Gailey

scribo

One thing I will say and do like about the Rooney Rule is that even though a lot of the minority interviews are shams and the teams have no intention whatsoever of hiring the guy (with little to do with race), it's a good practice for these candidates to prepare for and take part in that could help them when they get legitimate interviews.

I think it also gives these guys an opportunity to meet and get to know influential people who wouldn't typically be within their social circle.

A sort of expansion of the Old Boys Network, if you will.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should interview Chuck Modkins right now before he leaves the building for the HC job just to get the Rooney Rule out of the way, even if they want to interview Lovie Smith or any other minority candidate.

Exactly. "Hey Curtis, come over here for a second. We have a couple questions for you".

Chan seemed like a nice guy. I wish him the best. Being a nice guy does not translate to winning however. Hitching himself to the EPIC loser Fitzpatrick proved to be too much.

Or allowing a DC like Dave Wannstooge / George Edwards as your DC is equally moronic.

I hope the Bills hire the biggest pr!ck on earth, just as long as he wins IDGAF.

I wish Chan Gailey well, he did his best.

It is a sad day.

I understand fans who are satisfied and relieved by this move.

I don't really relate to the elation though.

Me either. We still have to see who the GM is going to be - Nix, Whaley, or are they going to throw the entire thing into the crapper and, (here we go round and round) start all over from scratch... again?

He probably goes into retirement now. That's an emotional event for most people.

Interesting thought, and you may be right.

I actually appreciated his comment about Buffalo probably being the first place that fired him that he would be pulling for... It's like telling your girlfriend, listen it's not working out we need to part ways and she looks at you (instead of cursing and crying and yelling she says), well just know that I still love you and of all the other times I been dumped I'll still hope you find happiness (probably)... Classy in my book... He sounded emotional also... Good luck Chan...

Sure. As I said in another thread, the question was about the use of the adjective "classy" with respect to a tweet and not the press conference. That is not an indictment of Coach Gailey nor will a single tweet have any bearing on his future. With the context of the PC, the tweet probably wasn't really even intended as backhanded.

I get the reason for trashing the whole thing but wouldn't you want to keep the remaining coaching staff and let the new HC do the hiring and cutting of coaches?

However, if they have someone in mind or have word from certain possible candidates that they wouldn't even consider the job in Buffalo unless the entire thing was torn down.

I really expected the Bills to stand pat with Gailey.

But I guess at the end of the day someone had to get the axe and he was the logical one.

My big concern now is that with all the other HC firings that the good OC/DC candidates for a HC job are going to have a lot of choices, other than Buffalo, on where to go.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I've been a Bills fan for a long time so before anybody gets to carried away celebrating just remember

Marv is old and soft we can't do any worse

Wade is a fat dumb hick we can't do any worse

Greg is an arrogant blowhard we can't do any worse

Mike is emotional basket case we can't do any worse

Dick is an emotionless zombie we can't do any worse

Chan is (fill in the blank) we can't do any worse

Or allowing a DC like Dave Wannstooge / George Edwards as your DC is equally moronic.

I hope the Bills hire the biggest pr!ck on earth, just as long as he wins IDGAF.

I wish Chan Gailey well, he did his best.

I agree. How "good a guy" the coach is has no relevance to me personally. I want to see us win, period.

I get the reason for trashing the whole thing but wouldn't you want to keep the remaining coaching staff and let the new HC do the hiring and cutting of coaches?

However, if they have someone in mind or have word from certain possible candidates that they wouldn't even consider the job in Buffalo unless the entire thing was torn down.

you might keep the staff if there were qualified NFL caliber coaches on it -

but therein lies the problem

I've been a Bills fan for a long time so before anybody gets to carried away celebrating just remember

Marv is old and soft we can't do any worse

Wade is a fat dumb hick we can't do any worse

Greg is an arrogant blowhard we can't do any worse

Mike is emotional basket case we can't do any worse

Dick is an emotionless zombie we can't do any worse

Chan is (fill in the blank) we can't do any worse

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then. I think it's our time to get that nut.

Up until a few games back, I was okay giving Chan another year as long as he was willing to move on from Fitz. However, over the past few games, watching the questionable clock management, players giving up, and overall non-use of TJax, it's time.

I've always like Chan personally and am sad to see him upset. It's a business move and nothing personal. As for Nix, I actually don't have an issue with him. Outside of Chan, who I believe he trusted to make coaching and qb decisions, he made most of the calls that most of us would have made.

With that, I would love to see a Coach brought in who uses his team. Not someone who both coaches the team and offense or defense. I want a head coach, an o and d coordinator who each do their own thing. And we need to stop getting players coaches. There needs to be some fear in this team

Just got done watching the Gailey statement. Wow, what a genuinely nice guy.

Sincerely, good luck to you Chan. We'll be rooting for you too.

Absolutely agree. I really wanted this guy to succeed. Unfortunately, it had become apparent that change was needed. Chan is a class act all the way.

I won't hate Gailey the way I hated Mularkey, Jauron or Williams. Not really sure why. Maybe it was the way he came in and how he conducted himself originally? But in the past year he's fallen off tremendously.

+1.. Gailey is the only coach I have actually liked the past 10 years.. Too bad he just isn't a good head coach. I wish him well.

I believe Chan is a good coach. he just keep on playing fitz that really hurt his job the most.. if chan had a QB that can throw deep and don't make poor throws, I believe chan still have his job right now..Like i said before. If fitz still QB for the bills, he going make this new HC look like crap

I feel like if Nix were safe he'd make a statement about Gailey already. I feel like he has or will be fired because of that. What's the delay for then? Any GM that just made such big move for his team would usually address the matter immediately or relatively quickly. But going on four hours later?

Also, I want Nix fired but I don't think now is the time. He's been scouting for months. If you fire him, you better make sure you replace him with a guy who has scouted college QBs as much as he probably has over the last few months (basically they'd need to look towards personnel guys from a team like Philly rather than Atlanta).

I get the reason for trashing the whole thing but wouldn't you want to keep the remaining coaching staff and let the new HC do the hiring and cutting of coaches? However, if they have someone in mind or have word from certain possible candidates that they wouldn't even consider the job in Buffalo unless the entire thing was torn down.

I actually had a conversation with Bruce DeHaven about this years ago.

In short, the assistant coaches know that in the vast majority of cases, that they will not be brought back by the new head coach.

In the meantime (in your scenario) they're hanging in limbo. Thus they can't start looking for new work (because they're under contract to the team) and can miss out on the hiring cycle. As a result some of these coaches won't be able to find new jobs while they're hanging in limbo.

This practice of retaining coaches under contract (it does happen) is generally deeply resented by assistant coaches and is considered to be a bad practice by NFL teams as far as making a statement about how they treat employees.

Perhaps (and I doubt it based on track record), they've already got a guy and he's already worked the phones to the point where they're ready to move forward. That's what a good organization would be doing.

I feel like if Nix were safe he'd make a statement about Gailey already. I feel like he has or will be fired because of that. What's the delay for then? Any GM that just made such big move for his team would usually address the matter immediately or relatively quickly. But going on four hours later?

Also, I want Nix fired but I don't think now is the time. He's been scouting for months. If you fire him, you better make sure you replace him with a guy who has scouted college QBs as much as he probably has over the last few months (basically they'd need to look towards personnel guys from a team like Philly rather than Atlanta).

The question begging to be asked is whether firing the entire coaching staff sounds like a "Nix move" or not. Does a strong GM, one still in the driver's seat, active in the operation really advocate firing the entire staff?

You raise a good point though. With Nix still actively out in the field doing scouting, this is perhaps a really bad time to part company with him. Keeping him through the draft and allowing him to bow out into retirement, would be a better strategic move by the team. Finally, if they hire a strong head coach and give him control of the football operation (like an Andy Reid position), whether Nix is the nominal GM of football or not, then keeping him more prevents someone like, say Miami, hiring him on a short term contract to pick his brain on what the Bills plans could be.

When Chan said he will "probably" root for the Bills, I wonder if he was thinking about whether Ralph will voluntarily pay him for the remaining term of his contract. I vaguely recall that Ralph refused to voluntarily pay Wade Phillips for the remaining term of Wade's contract after firing him. Chan must know that history. Ralph might have told Chan something like "I'll pay you the remaining salary you're owed under your Bills contract IF I believe you're making a good faith effort to find other coaching employment and can't find anything." I have no idea if that actually happened, but it seems plausible - - it would certainly leave me with doubts about whether I would root for my former employer's team.

When Chan said he will "probably" root for the Bills, I wonder if he was thinking about whether Ralph will voluntarily pay him for the remaining term of his contract. I vaguely recall that Ralph refused to voluntarily pay Wade Phillips for the remaining term of Wade's contract after firing him. Chan must know that history. Ralph might have told Chan something like "I'll pay you the remaining salary you're owed under your Bills contract IF I believe you're making a good faith effort to find other coaching employment and can't find anything." I have no idea if that actually happened, but it seems plausible - - it would certainly leave me with doubts about whether I would root for my former employer's team.

Wade was insubordinate and refused to fire Ronnie Jones. That is why Ralph tried to stiff him.

...then keeping him more prevents someone like, say Miami, hiring him on a short term contract to pick his brain on what the Bills plans could be.

Ha! I don't think we need to worry about that. The Bills could take out a 1 page advertisement in the Miami Herald detailing our future plans and this still wouldn't matter.

Chan Gailey is a good guy, he is a good offensive coordinator but he is not a head coach, example you don't go 5 wide on 3rd & Inches when you have one of the most explosive RB's in Spiller.

I wish him the best but I am glad he is gone

Edited by Shitzy Hater

I actually had a conversation with Bruce DeHaven about this years ago.

In short, the assistant coaches know that in the vast majority of cases, that they will not be brought back by the new head coach.

In the meantime (in your scenario) they're hanging in limbo. Thus they can't start looking for new work (because they're under contract to the team) and can miss out on the hiring cycle. As a result some of these coaches won't be able to find new jobs while they're hanging in limbo.

This practice of retaining coaches under contract (it does happen) is generally deeply resented by assistant coaches and is considered to be a bad practice by NFL teams as far as making a statement about how they treat employees.

this might all be true, I just think the new HC would want to make that decision. Maybe (in our case for example) whoever comes in thinks the KR game and OL has done well and they would have preferred to retain those spots. I get the complete thrashing, just thought it would be better for the new guy to come in and make that decision.

Perhaps (and I doubt it based on track record), they've already got a guy and he's already worked the phones to the point where they're ready to move forward. That's what a good organization would be doing.

this part I really hope is true. Maybe the Gruden meet has some legs to it right?

this might all be true, I just think the new HC would want to make that decision. Maybe (in our case for example) whoever comes in thinks the KR game and OL has done well and they would have preferred to retain those spots. I get the complete thrashing, just thought it would be better for the new guy to come in and make that decision.

this part I really hope is true. Maybe the Gruden meet has some legs to it right?

If the Bills move quickly enough on a head coaching hire, the new guy could offer jobs to the assistants without hanging them in limbo.

Many could be inclined to accept an offer because they wouldn't have to move their families to a new city.

There's no perfect way of dealing with assistants when the head guy is fired but all things considered, releasing them from their contracts is the lesser of evils.

If the Bills move quickly enough on a head coaching hire, the new guy could offer jobs to the assistants without hanging them in limbo.

Many could be inclined to accept an offer because they wouldn't have to move their families to a new city.

There's no perfect way of dealing with assistants when the head guy is fired but all things considered, releasing them from their contracts is the lesser of evils.

if you've spoke. With Dehaven about this type of this personally then ill buy it.

I just hope the team is already being pro active and already have someone in mind and they want the whole thing torn down for them.

Chan Gailey is a good guy, he is a good offensive coordinator but he is not a head coach, example you don't go 5 wide on 3rd & Inches when you have one of the most explosive RB's in Spiller.

I wish him the best but I am glad he is gone

I believe you just showed that Gailey is not a good OC.

Actually feel a little bad for Gailey bc he's a nice guy who really tried to win and sounding so sad today but he needED to go and Im glad he's gone.

BRING ON GRUDEN !!!!!!!!

Agreed. He did sound very somber and sad during his comments today. I like Chan, and will be rooting for him wherever he ends up, but it was time for him to go and I am glad that we will be starting fresh with a new staff. This is a very fun and hopeful time for Bills fans and I am very excited to see what develops in the next few days out of OBD.

Entire coaching staff was released. Reported on ESPN.

welcome to the conversation.

Word is the Mayans were wrong about 12-21-12 also.

Just kidding man. Ya, they all got let go.

Lol. Watching NFL network right now and Mularkey looks just like Kevin Costner.

welcome to the conversation.

Word is the Mayans were wrong about 12-21-12 also.

Just kidding man. Ya, they all got let go.

So they'd better hire a coach who's got all the parts pretty much lined up. Unless Gruden can sign Jay and Zimmer to come with him, I suspect Gruden isn't it. Doubtful a college coach either. If this is true, likely going to be Turner or Lovie. Otherwise we are behind the 8 ball with a lot of coaching spots.

I'm surprised they did it. I like Chan a lot. Solid guy and a really good OC. His downfall was convincing Nix to hire his buddy and switch back to a 43 after two drafts designed for the 34. I think our D plus Fitzpatrick's many limitations did Gailey in. I believe he would have been successful with a middle of the road D and a QB that can throw the ball accurately and deep. Continuity is critical in this league. New scheme on offense yet again....and another slow start is likely.

But it sure did look ugly this year, and that's all that matters. BUT, I will say this: this is the worst year in many years to start over again. There are too many teams looking for a HC, so it's going to be that much harder to land THE GUY that everyone wants, whoever that might be. When was the last time the Bills hired a HC that other teams in the league were also after? We will likely continue down that same path, at least partly due to the reality of there being so many jobs in the league today. It might have been wiser to give Gailey and his staff one more year, with a new QB and a new D. There's not much of a transition between the Wanny 43 and any other 43, so it wouldn't be the same as switching it all up again like the switch to a different base scheme is.

I think there have been just as many mistakes in the draft in the past few years as there have been on the field, so I wonder where this is all going...

I would not be surprised to see Polian & Son back in charge; we just have to hope that whoever it is that hires the next HC understands that it has to be someone who understands that you have to be constantly innovating in this league to do much of anything. I believe the modern football approach to going for it on 4th instead of punting *whenever the numbers support it* is one small part of the "moneyball" approach to the game. I was in a Boston bar last night watching the Pats game with my Pats-loving cousin and Belichick went for it at least twice on 4th down from around mid field. Because the stats support doing so. The fans in this bar regarded these tactical decisions as a matter of course. Nobody even sneezed. Certainly nobody uttered "No! Punt! Punt!". And the Pats are on their way to another AFC title game. You can't coach conservatively anymore, and you can't make tactical decisions out of fear or concern over optics. Victory must be seized.

I feel bad for Chan. Good guy who might have shown what he can really do with a real QB and a DC who understands that yes, blitzing does indeed work.

/ramble-rant

Otherwise we are behind the 8 ball with a lot of coaching spots.

I disagree with this. We are in the same boat as the other 8 teams (probably 10-12 when all is said and done) in the league. At the end of the day there are only 32 HC positions in the world and its a highly coveted spot. Regardless what people say how bad Buffalo is, it means nothing when yiur talking about coaching an NFL team. Money and the players you acquire are all that matters. Get paid just as much or more than any other team and your on the same playing field. Then you look at what your getting. With us yiur getting an OL that pretty much in tact, a huge playmaker for a RB, a solid WR in Stevie, Mario, Gilmore, Kyle Williams, Carrington (he's made positive headlines with his hustle and blocking ability), Freddy, Chandler, and a fairly early draft pick, as well as the GM saying he is ready to take a shot and trade up for the needed QB to make this team a winner.

Just saying.