Buffalo Bills fire Head Coach Chan Gailey

scribo

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chan is a good guy. But it makes no sense for a fired HC to address the media. What's he going to say? He's sorry it didn't work out?

He could easily pick up OC work somewhere, imo. As much **** as he gets for his playcalling, he turned our offense into something respectable with a crap QB, crap line (past three steps), and zero talent at WR save for one shifty route runner.

Chan is a good guy. But it makes no sense for a fired HC to address the media. What's he going to say? He's sorry it didn't work out?

You develop a lot of relationships along the way, who wouldn't want a final address? Plus now he can tell Sullivan what he thinks of him!!!

Florio had an interesting tidbit on Gailey's firing and the speculation on the new head coach.

And with owner Ralph Wilson now 94 years old, we’ve got a feeling he’ll be spending some of what he can’t take with him on a high-end coach who owns a Super Bowl ring.

Insider knowledge or speculation? Hmmmmmm.

http://profootballta...ce-chan-gailey/

Edited by BillsGuyInBallstonSpa

If the roster was any good, we would have won more games with the schedule we had.

The talent level and depth of the roster has increased significantly since Nix took over. There's still some positions that need filled, but the record this year did not reflect talent IMO. Coaching needs to be fixed, but I think Nix is doing a pretty good job so far.

He could easily pick up OC work somewhere, imo. As much **** as he gets for his playcalling, he turned our offense into something respectable with a crap QB, crap line (past three steps), and zero talent at WR save for one shifty route runner.

After this performance, I don't see Gailey getting another coordinator or above position in the NFL. And he may not work in the NFL again at his age.

BTW, what the heck happens with Modkins? Maybe he'll move on to South Central Louisiana State University as assistant running backs coach.

After this performance, I don't see Gailey getting another coordinator or above position in the NFL. And he may not work in the NFL again at his age.

BTW, what the heck happens with Modkins? Maybe he'll move on to South Central Louisiana State University as assistant running backs coach.

they all head back to the college ranks.....

Florio had an interesting tidbit on Gailey's firing and the speculation on the new head coach.

And with owner Ralph Wilson now 94 years old, we’ve got a feeling he’ll be spending some of what he can’t take with him on a high-end coach who owns a Super Bowl ring.

Insider knowledge or speculation? Hmmmmmm.

http://profootballta...ce-chan-gailey/

Probably speculation, but that list of unemployed coaches is short. There's Gruden, Billick, Holmgren, Parcells, Vermeil, Gibbs, Jimmy Johnson, Ditka, and Seifert, by my count. Anyone beyond the first three strikes me as too old, Holmgren strikes me as disinterested, and Billick is an ****.

Gailey could get a coordinator position in the NFL if he wants one. But he'd be foolish to not take the year off and collect his paycheck from Ralph.

Does this imply Wannstedt also? I feel his job on defense was the worst part of the team this past year. He also does not have the "good guy" image that Gailey has, so even though I feel that Gailey tried hard and deserves to be treated with respect, I have less of those feelings in regard to Wannstedt.

It should. How do you propose to hire a new head coach and force feed him Chan's staff? Wannstedt especially was a disaster.

The best part is that Wanny will be gone. Chan was at least a stand up guy.

Nix ... will he dodge a bullet? He went on record as saying that Chan stays. Hmmm.

I actually think Buddy Nix is doing a much worse job than Chan did.

I think it is safe to score his first draft was very poor. Spiller was drafted to replace Marshawn Lynch ---- Lynch is going to the Pro Bowl this year. None of his drafts have produced a pro bowl player as of yet although Spilller should be one. His signing of Fitz to big money was a bad move. His inability to draft a QB limited Chan to one option (Fitz).

Nix should be accountable for going two straight years in a row with no viable backup QB and no QB pospect on the roster. Chan had no choice but to stay with Fitz.

Interesting reaction from Nix:

“The age-old thing – and they’ve done it around here for years – is to start over about every three years,” Nix said. “What that does is make damn sure you don’t make it. ... You change every three years and you never quite get there. That’s my take.”

I disagree Buddy - you didn't identify a decent QB and for that Chan paid and most likely you will pay. A head coach and/or GM is only as good as their QB. As goes the QB, so goes the HC/GM.

Sorry, loved Chan as a person and straight talker, but clearly not the answer. Buff News was right, the teams lack of Defnese did him in. I would even argue his Offense did him in ... and he was an "offensive guru".