Buffalo Bills fire Head Coach Chan Gailey

scribo

Not sorry to see this BUT considering the short line of "candidates" when we hired Chan, can we expect any better in the future?

Nobody with a rep would come here 3 years ago. Things are a little better now with CJ Spiller and the new lease. But it's still Buffalo and the Bills.

PTR

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably speculation, but that list of unemployed coaches is short. There's Gruden, Billick, Holmgren, Parcells, Vermeil, Gibbs, Jimmy Johnson, Ditka, and Seifert, by my count. Anyone beyond the first three strikes me as too old, Holmgren strikes me as disinterested, and Billick is an ****.

Dungy.

The best part is that Wanny will be gone. Chan was at least a stand up guy.

Nix ... will he dodge a bullet? He went on record as saying that Chan stays. Hmmm.

I actually think Buddy Nix is doing a much worse job than Chan did.

I think it is safe to score his first draft was very poor. Spiller was drafted to replace Marshawn Lynch ---- Lynch is going to the Pro Bowl this year. None of his drafts have produced a pro bowl player as of yet although Spilller should be one. His signing of Fitz to big money was a bad move. His inability to draft a QB limited Chan to one option (Fitz).

Nix should be accountable for going two straight years in a row with no viable backup QB and no QB pospect on the roster. Chan had no choice but to stay with Fitz.

GMs (and owners) give their coaches a vote of confidence during the season every year, then fire them. If you express doubt at midseason, the season is doomed. As it played out, the season was tanked anyhow.

It should. How do you propose to hire a new head coach and force feed him Chan's staff? Wannstedt especially was a disaster.

They may keep them on staff, inform them the next head coach will decide and they are free to seek another job in the meantime.

Glad he's gone, and he deserved to go, but I think the biggest culprit is Nix for allowing Gailey's QB delusions to persist unchecked. As a head coach, I don't want somebody making excuses and saying they can't win with what they have. It is (was) Nix's job to provide Gailey with NFL quality talent at the most important position, maybe the only position that REALLY matters.

Of course Gailey wasn't going to whine and complain and throw his hands in the air and give up. He needed to instill belief in Fitz and the team that they were ready to win. NIx needed to realize the futility of that noble effort as readily as thousands of fans.

That said, Gailey deserved to be fired for allowing Wanny to, almost unbelievably, get back in the NFL as a coordinator, and for atrocious game-management decisions.

Not sure how a GM who has bumbled the QB position so completely is allowed to continue...

Would you want to hire a coach who's been out of football a long time?

PTR

No way. At this point id be willing to take an innovative college coach vs someone with NFL experience.

I want someone who will take risk & has everything to gain and nothing to lose.

Nix should be fired too. Everyone has been calling for Whaley to replace him but who exactly is Doug Whaley? The Bills have sucked when he's been here too. If it was up to me I'd bring in all new people because everyone from top to bottum has failed.

On the bright side, of all the bad teams losing coaches, Buffalo is, IMO, one excellent off-season away from having a solid, young, playoff caliber team. The right H.C. could come in here and look to see a playoff run for years. Chicago, S.D., Philly, and K.C. all have lots of potential, too. However, the draw for a really good H.C. here should be guys like Dareus, K. Williams, Mario W., Byrd, Gilmore, Wood, Levitre, Glenn, Stevie Johnson, Freddy, and SPILLER! That is a group of mostly young players - or players with another 4-5 years of peak performance in them, that could all be PRO-BOWL level.

I think if Wilson is willing to spend the money, not only on H.C., but also on assistant coaches, then this H.C. vacancy would look pretty good. Think about it - whoever comes in doesn't have to do any more than make the playoffs and he'll be a GOD here. Every other NFL team and H.C. has much bigger standards, and doesn't have that fan adoration element like we do.

I could see the Jon Gruden/ Russ Brandon meeting going like this: Brandon: "I want you to tell me, What would it take for Buffalo to get you here, hypothetically? How much money, and how much power would you need?" I really think Russ interviewed with Gruden to find out what Buffalo would need to offer a "Big Name" H.C. Think about it - Nix, Wilson, Brandon talking over the past few weeks or more, mentioning potential replacements, and they'd have to say, when names like Cowher and Gruden came up, "But, would they even consider coming here?" It seems only natural that before firing Gailey they'd want to understand if they are willing to spend, or do, whatever it would take to get the guy they wanted.

Nix should be fired too. Everyone has been calling for Whaley to replace him but who exactly is Doug Whaley? The Bills have sucked when he's been here too. If it was up to me I'd bring in all new people because everyone from top to bottum has failed.

That's a the worst reason to make a change.

PTR