Pick one to leave - Fitz, Chan or Wanny

WGR actually raised a good question this morning (they only gave a choice of Fitz or Chan but I felt it necessary to add Wanny)...if you could only pick one to leave next year, who would it be??

Chan? and get a new head coach

Fitz? and get a new QB

Wanny? and get a new D coordinator

I'd have to go with Chan...I could handle one more year of Fitz with a HC who will stress running the ball as opposed to our current HC/Offensive Coordinator who insists on firing blanks every Sunday. If we concentrated on the run and don't give up when we only get one yard on first down, we would command more respect from the opponent's LB's. Fitz would have to stick around for another year and Wanny might be able to develop some more original defensive schemes in the off season (or at least a new head coach would tell him to).

Edited by BringBackFergy

WGR actually raised a good question this morning (they only gave a choice of Fitz or Chan but I felt it necessary to add Wanny)...if you could only pick one to leave next year, who would it be??

Chan? and get a new head coach

Fitz? and get a new QB

Wanny? and get a new D coordinator

I'd have to go with Chan...I could handle one more year of Fitz with a HC who will stress running the ball as opposed to our current HC/Offensive Coordinator who insists on firing blanks every Sunday. If we concentrated on the run and don't give up when we only get one yard on first down, we would command more respect from the opponent's LB's. Fitz would have to stick around for another year and Wanny might be able to develop some more original defensive schemes in the off season (or at least a new head coach would tell him to).

I pick Gailey to leave

(Because then the new coach will want a new DC. Fitz can stay as backup)

I'd keep Fitz with a reduced salary to groom the QB of the future.

Gailey and WannaStache would be on the curb just as soon as the ink dried on their replacements contract.

Generally agree unless they somehow got to 9-7. I will say as awful as he was in the being of the year, Wanny's unit has improved. Can't say that about the other 2. But I would keep Fitz to compete for the job and be a mentor to hopefully a newly drafted franchise QB.

Fitz. I'd still like to see what Gailey could do with a decent QB. Although, I'd be fine if all three are gone next year.

I think that is a good point and I do think Chan does get the most out of his talent (except Spiller). I would love to see what he could do with Kaepernick. I'd love him as an OC with a strong head coach. Unfortunately, the team has underachieved against a weak schedule and Gailey choice to keep Fitz as his only option. He deserves a lot of blame for that.

Beat me to it

CBF

I have to be clearer with my explanation...barring an injury or disaster that might claim the life of any of the three, the assumption is that each of them would keep their main role/job duties (can't say Fitz is backup, can't say new HC would fire Wanny). Have to assume they will each keep their primary job duties. Hence, I'd fire Chan because he runs the offense and is unwilling to run the ball. Get a HC who wants to run it. Wanny would still be D Coordinator and Fitz is still starting QB.

I have to be clearer with my explanation...barring an injury or disaster that might claim the life of any of the three, the assumption is that each of them would keep their main role/job duties (can't say Fitz is backup, can't say new HC would fire Wanny). Have to assume they will each keep their primary job duties. Hence, I'd fire Chan because he runs the offense and is unwilling to run the ball. Get a HC who wants to run it. Wanny would still be D Coordinator and Fitz is still starting QB.

In that case I would say Fitz. Coaching can only do so much if you dont have the skills needed to do the job that is expected from you.

CBF

I think that is a good point and I do think Chan does get the most out of his talent (except Spiller). I would love to see what he could do with Kaepernick. I'd love him as an OC with a strong head coach. Unfortunately, the team has underachieved against a weak schedule and Gailey choice to keep Fitz as his only option. He deserves a lot of blame for that.

The problem is that we could get a new HC AND a new DC and still have subpar talent at the most important position on the field. I don't think Gailey (or as I just mistyped Failey - I think we have a new nickname) is a great coach, but if I can only dispose of one Fitz is my choice. We wouldn't be complaining about Chan's third and one calls if Fitz completed some downfield passes on what look like great plays.

Very easy: Fitz.

All one needs to do is look around the league at teams like New England, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Chicago, & New Orleans to see all of the shortcomings that can be masked by having a franchise QB. Bad defense, bad OL, no running game, poor head coaching, etc. A franchise QB can make up for all of it.

That said, just because Fitz leaves doesn't guarantee that the team will acquire a franchise QB, but it sure does make it seem more likely that they'd try...

Definitely Fitz.

The offense is limited because of him, not because of Chan. The defense has already shown signs of improving and I wouldn't be surprised if Wannestadt's unit ends up with a respectable ranking based on the slew of sub par talent coming up on the schedule. Any defense needs time to work into their new system and learn their roles. If we can get a good middle lb this year in the offseason it'll help out his scheme a lot.

I'd keep Fitz with a reduced salary to groom the QB of the future.

Gailey and WannaStache would be on the curb just as soon as the ink dried on their replacements contract.

Look at Fitz's face, he can't even groom himself? They are all one in the same, so if you replace Gailey, the replacement would dump the other two, so I say Gailey on this question.

Actually, that gives one some pause to think before typing an answer. (I guess I show my age by calling it typing, not keyboarding)

I think Chan's faults have been his selection of coaches under him, particularily on the defensive side. the two years of 3-4 defense are still hurting this team. Wanny's D has not been good, the D was slow to adopt to the 4-3, and his selection of players has been flawed. This incessant playing of A Williams is a real mistake, he isn't a CB, but he may get George Wilson's job later, we will see, as he was a safety at Texas. In fact, I was astounded when the Bills put him at CB. However, Gailey has had trouble getting quality coaches to come to Buffalo at all, and despite his apparent intransigence to anything but a vinella version of the 4-3, this D is getting better. Gailey's offense is pretty good also, but I think he should move the play calling to an OC who can do the job, not a retread NFL head coaching failure (see jets) I guess I think Fitz inability to throw the long ball is the most glaring weakness of the group, and another QB needs to get a shot. The draft will/would be a slow process, and that should be started. Either Jackson or Thigpen has to go. Or trade for a guy like Kirk Cousins, a talented backup. So, if one has to go, I voet Fitz, but only in another year or two, when a prepared successor is ready.

Actually, that gives one some pause to think before typing an answer. (I guess I show my age by calling it typing, not keyboarding)

I think Chan's faults have been his selection of coaches under him, particularily on the defensive side. the two years of 3-4 defense are still hurting this team. Wanny's D has not been good, the D was slow to adopt to the 4-3, and his selection of players has been flawed. This incessant playing of A Williams is a real mistake, he isn't a CB, but he may get George Wilson's job later, we will see, as he was a safety at Texas. In fact, I was astounded when the Bills put him at CB. However, Gailey has had trouble getting quality coaches to come to Buffalo at all, and despite his apparent intransigence to anything but a vinella version of the 4-3, this D is getting better. Gailey's offense is pretty good also, but I think he should move the play calling to an OC who can do the job, not a retread NFL head coaching failure (see jets) I guess I think Fitz inability to throw the long ball is the most glaring weakness of the group, and another QB needs to get a shot. The draft will/would be a slow process, and that should be started. Either Jackson or Thigpen has to go. Or trade for a guy like Kirk Cousins, a talented backup. So, if one has to go, I voet Fitz, but only in another year or two, when a prepared successor is ready.

Chan's choices for personnel under him haven't been great, but he doesn't get off that easy in my book. He is supposedly this offensive genius, when he has been nothing more then "offensive" in that area. His insistence on that wildcat/popgun offense, which has done, for the most part, nothing except kill momentum has been terrible. His play calling (the Brad Smith pass, sending the undersized Spiller up the gut at the goaline, over and over, etc.) has been horrendous. And worst of all, his continued support and insistence that Shitzpatrick is a franchise quarterback alone should get him canned.

Please don't take my avatar as "I am a Chan apologist" because that is not the case.

But if I had to choose one, I would have to choose Fitz. My reasoning here is that the roster has improved over the last few years. Defensively, I think we all should have expected a slow start. some new players, new D coordinator and new system. Still not making excuses for Wanny. Plenty of times this season I shook my head at the defense but the bottom line is, the players on the field have to perform as well. So do we get rid of Chan? The players for the most part seem to have bought in and support him. Fitz? Same could be said there. But replacing a QB in a system is far less disruptive than replacing a coach and his staff for a new one with a whole new system to learn.

Gailey NEEDS to figure out the best way to utilize his play makers or he will be out the door as well. I guess the bottom line is none of them have done anything to prove to me they are the right people for their respective jobs. But if I have to choose one I am choosing the least disruptive and trying to find myself a new QB.

Who will be the QB to take the job? Your guess is as good as mine. Not too many elite QB's just waiting around for a job.

If the Bills had a competent QB, that ranked in the middle of the league in "deep pass" completions, I feel the Bills offense would be very successful under Gailey. With defenders spread out to prevent the deep pass, they wouldn't be crowding the line of scrimmage, which would be a huge advantage for the Bills run game. But since Fitz is the worst passer in the league in regards to passes thrown over 20 yards, defenses play the entire field as if it were the red zone against the Bills.

All 3, but if I had to choose one, I'd pick Fitz, for the simple fact that despite all of Chan and Wanny's issues, of which there are plenty, I would really like to see a QB who is consistently accurate beyond a screen pass in this offense. Receivers are open....we just have to make those throws.

Wanstedt needs to go, but i really think all 3 need to go. maybe we could get alex smith, mariucci and maybe rex or rob ryan as our D coordinator when they are fired

Why would Rob Ryan leave Dallas as a D Coordinator to take a job in Buffalo as D Coordinator?? Don't see it happening...unless there is an Asst Head Coach gig in it for him.

1. Fitz - Keep him as backup at reasonable salary, if possible, but his limitations are far beyond coaching. He's a great guy, but too limited to win enough to be satisfying.
  2. Chan - His play calling is often frustrating. Perhaps bringing in an O-Coordinator would be "enough". Given I generally like what I've seen of our personnel changes, he's my first stop answering for our results after addressing the obvious QB problem.
  3. Wannstedt- He has looked to be in over his head, but this is the start of a year in a new system. I suspect many of the issues are with the players fitting and being fluid in the "new" scheme.
  4. Nix - I'm a supporter. In broad strokes, I like his picks and his shift to us being a bigger stronger team. I don't know how much to blame him for us still sticking with Fitz as our starter. This is his biggest issue IMO.
  5. Ralph. I don't think Ralph is doing anything that is affecting our win-loss record. Maybe he has in the last few years; I don't know. If Ralph moves on, I personally don't think the Bills will still be in Buffalo so this is the bottom of any list for me.

This is the best answer. Easy call.

Objection!!! The answer is non-responsive to the question posed. Have to assume Gailey, Fitz and Wanny will keep their jobs/duties with no backup, immediate firings, etc.

Your sentence is to watch the second half of the New England Patriots - Bills home game in it's entirety in slow motion. Sentence to run concurrent as you have the 49'rs game on in split screen.

Objection!!! The answer is non-responsive to the question posed. Have to assume Gailey, Fitz and Wanny will keep their jobs/duties with no backup, immediate firings, etc.

Your sentence is to watch the second half of the New England Patriots - Bills home game in it's entirety in slow motion. Sentence to run concurrent as you have the 49'rs game on in split screen.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!