I was wrong about Fitzpatrick and my evaluations of our weaknesses

ThurmasThoman

I know this is the internet, so I should never admit defeat, but a few things:

I was wrong about us beating the Patriots this week, and more specifically, wrong about them being on the decline. That is a team that can put points on the scoreboard. However, I maintain that they're not getting any younger, and we're getting closer to them. Maybe that says more about the Bills than about the Patriots, but next year, we finish ahead of them.

I'm not ready to say I'm wrong about us making the playoffs. The 5 seeded colts are 3 games ahead of us with 7 to go. We play Miami this week, they play the Patriots. Then, we play the Colts the following week. Following that, the Colts fly to Detroit, and we come home to play Jacksonville. 3 winnable games for us, 3 losable games for them. This season could look totally different in a few weeks, so I'll still be watching, and you should too.

Finally, and what I really wanted to get to, I was wrong about Fitzpatrick. All season I was beating the drum that Thigpen should take over, or better yet, Jackson. Point blank, fitzy has been getting it done lately. We have the 32nd ranked defense in the league: In 4 of our losses this year, we scored 28, 28, 34 and 31 points. The TWENTY SEVENTH ranked defense in the league allows 27.6 points a game. Just that little of a jump, from 32nd to 27th ranked defense could result in 4 more wins. Basically, Fitz is being handicapped by how bad our defense is. The top 10 defenses in the league all allow under 21 points a game, which would get us another "win." So having a top 10 defense, with the offense we have now, would be good for % more wins, or a 8-1 record.

*Disclaimer: I know there a lot of "what-ifs" in the scenario I just created, but it's for the sake of discussion.

The point to all of this: Keep Gailey-he's doing just fine. Keep Fitz-he can win if our D plays better. Fire Wanny, draft linebackers, get a SOLID #2 wideout, and... I cant believe I'm about to say this... but give Fitz one more year :(

I also think we have a third rate receiving core. Chandler is a weapon and so is Stevie, so are the RB catching swing passes helps..Fitzy did his job yesterday and so did the running game.. LB's are super slow and not attacking..

:thumbdown: Jones made plays all day, Stevie looked good, Chandler made plays 3rd rate recieving core is a brutal statement IMO.

give the guys a lil love, Jones especially is much improved.

I agree you can't totally blame Fitz for this loss. However, top money franchise QB's MAKE CLUTCH PLAYS. Once again, he didn't. And not being a downfield threat limits the offense. As for the defense, it is our number 1 achilles heal. Fitz, Cj, Frddie, Stevie and the gang must put up 28+ points to keep up with their ineptitude. That;'s insane - your O scores over 30 points, you should win.

I disagree. Fitz is average at best. The things he does for this team is basically what 30 other NFL QBs could do. What he doesn't give us is where he stinks. He has terrible pocket pressence. At one point in the 2nd quarter he litterally sacked himself by stepping up into a blocked defender. Plus, he is a ticking time bomb waiting to explode. With every dropp back, I am sitting there thinking 'Oh no Oh no Oh no....' It just so happens that in two of the last three games it took him all game before he threw another crucial, game killing INT - which has been his MO his entire time in Buffalo.

Plus, think of how his limitations hurt our O. I know we score a lot of points, but I think thats bc our O has a good design from Gailey. Fitz is useless if he has to throw more than 15 yards. So defenses don't even really have to cover that area of the field. Same thing with the sidelines - Fitz cant throw it that far with any velocity or accuracy and it makes it that much easier to defend.

Plus, we never run the ball. Gailey needs to call more run plays and get on Fitz about always checking out of plays to stupid throws.

9 carries for Spiller? Its a joke. Everyone watching these games sees what needs to be done and our NFL staff can't see it? WTF.

Yesterdays game was GAWD Awful for both teams. Both made to many DUMB penalties. That said the O for the Bills was fine and attacking the weakness (per rosy colvin this AM on 985) of any 3-4 defense by hitting the TE and RB out of the backfield going against LB and lets be honest sometime d lineman in coverage. BRILLANT game plan by your OC.

As for the OP notion the Pats getting old? On D they are EXTREMLY YOUNG, and on O we have 2 stud young TE a rather young O line.. Brady has 2-3 top performing years left and Welker and Lloyd well be good for awhile IMO. Are the Bills close? Honestly I dont know both teams played gawd awful D yesterday and neither D is truly that bad... OR that dumb with penalties usually.

However bad the Bills are, Chan has figured out how to play the Pats. How to put up points and we are keeping it close generally. I know there have been some bad moments but it has taken colossal defensive break downs for the Pats to beat us under Gailey. Pats at home or on the road is not the walk in the park it has been for them in the past.

That said he can't seem to beat the Jets

Yesterdays game was GAWD Awful for both teams. Both made to many DUMB penalties. That said the O for the Bills was fine and attacking the weakness (per rosy colvin this AM on 985) of any 3-4 defense by hitting the TE and RB out of the backfield going against LB and lets be honest sometime d lineman in coverage. BRILLANT game plan by your OC.

As for the OP notion the Pats getting old? On D they are EXTREMLY YOUNG, and on O we have 2 stud young TE a rather young O line.. Brady has 2-3 top performing years left and Welker and Lloyd well be good for awhile IMO. Are the Bills close? Honestly I dont know both teams played gawd awful D yesterday and neither D is truly that bad... OR that dumb with penalties usually.

extremely young and extremely bad. we hung 31 on them yesterday.

in terms of them getting "old," i am referring to one player, and one player only. we all know who that is. it is no coincidence that every year after he hit 30, they have looked more and more vulnerable. HE is not getting any younger, and they are not going to make some amazing leap forward next year. just looking at the conference standings, you can see the conference separating-and the patriots are no longer one of the 2 best teams in the conference, like they have been for the past 10 years. the gap between us keeps closing. our last 4 games against the patriots have been good games, and we could have won all of them. finally, the gap is closing. that's all im saying. there was no catching the patriots for a decade, now its possible.

I disagree. Fitz is average at best. The things he does for this team is basically what 30 other NFL QBs could do. What he doesn't give us is where he stinks. He has terrible pocket pressence. At one point in the 2nd quarter he litterally sacked himself by stepping up into a blocked defender. Plus, he is a ticking time bomb waiting to explode. With every dropp back, I am sitting there thinking 'Oh no Oh no Oh no....' It just so happens that in two of the last three games it took him all game before he threw another crucial, game killing INT - which has been his MO his entire time in Buffalo.

Plus, think of how his limitations hurt our O. I know we score a lot of points, but I think thats bc our O has a good design from Gailey. Fitz is useless if he has to throw more than 15 yards. So defenses don't even really have to cover that area of the field. Same thing with the sidelines - Fitz cant throw it that far with any velocity or accuracy and it makes it that much easier to defend.

Plus, we never run the ball. Gailey needs to call more run plays and get on Fitz about always checking out of plays to stupid throws.

9 carries for Spiller? Its a joke. Everyone watching these games sees what needs to be done and our NFL staff can't see it? WTF.

Sad, but true!

What we didn't know about Fitz back in 2010 is what he would do when the chips are down and the game is on the line. We now found out that he chokes time after time, and that is the difference between a average QB and a great QB, between him and QB's like Big Ben. You would think that Gailey would have worked with Fitz more often on the 2 min drill and how important those clutch game winning passes are, he hasn't because Gailey is also a loser and doesn't know how to win.

That Titans game spoke volumes about both Fitz and Gailey. 1:03 to go with the ball on the Bills 20, and 60 yards to go for a game winning field goal. 4 passes and done, they couldn't even make a first down! This was against a horrible Tenn defense!

I noticed lots of comparisons in the off season in this forum between Fitz and Eli Manning. The stats is where that comparison ends because with the game on the line Eli wins it and Fitz chokes. Not really Fitz's fault that Gailey is a bigger loser then Fitz. Sure he can call a decent game, and get production out of his super star RBs. The simple fact is the RB's don't see enough work in Gaileys offense. Gailey even acknowledged the RB's need to get 40 touches and instead gives Fitz 40 attempts. Like PP stated 9 carries for a guy who is averaging 7.7 yards per carry is a joke, and the only fans laughing are the Patriots fans, even they all are happy Spiller only sees 9 carries while Fitz gets 40 attempts

What is crazy is most fans watch the bills offense and come away thinking OH YEA,WE ARE GOOD! The fact is the Patriots have the 25th ranked defense and are not that good. The bills showed what they can really do on offense against a good top defense 45-3 against the 49ers- 21-9 against the Texans. As much as lots of fans think the Bills are "close" or "almost there" they are wrong.

The Bills are 31st on defense and so freaking far away from being good! The Bills are 15th on offense because of the running game that Gailey refuses to commit to the entire game. The Bills are 25th in passing and 6th in rushing and should be #1 in rushing, no other NFL team has a pair of RB's as good as Spiller and Jackson. Instead Jackass Gailey lets Fitz throw 40 times a game :wallbash:

Ahh look who it is. So I'm assuming we win that game with Tebow yesterday, right? He would have willed the game into a low-scoring affair with his passion and heart, right? Or if it turned out to be a QB duel after all, he would've been able to make all the throws that Fitzpatrick made, right? Either way, I'm sure we would've won. I mean, Tebow looked stellar the two times he played New England last year.

" In 4 of our losses this year, we scored 28, 28, 34 and 31 points." Yet somehow their QB was able to score more. Why can't ours?

Brady's defense gave up 31 points, but they still won.

Because they got to play against THE WORST DEFENSE in the NFL!

I'm with the OP. Fitz has been playing good enough to win in the majority of our games. The Defense has played good enough to win in 3 of them. Surprise surprise our record is 3-6.

I have been a Fitz basher, and believe me I don't think he is a savior by any means, but he is not the glaring problem right now. The lbs and the scheme are!

IMHO the "game plan" for the front office these past three years has been to build a team starting with a powerful defense and to "settle" for an offense capable of scoring in the 20 - 27 point range and relying on the defense to limit the oponents to less. With this outlook, Fitz should certianly able to lead the team to a "good" record. I don't think they felt the need to draft a big time QB, and give him big time weapons, until the defensive foundation was built (and I think they felt that job was done this offseason).

I have always thought that Fitz would be a great game manager ... and that was all we would need this season, however the defense is not performing as advertised.

Do we need/want a super star QB playing for the Bills ... of course we do ... but we don't have to panic and "reach" (whatever the heck that means) to get one ... but we do have to act with some urgency (dare I say panic) to figure out what the deal is with our defense.

I was wrong about us beating the Patriots this week, and more specifically, wrong about them being on the decline. That is a team that can put points on the scoreboard. However, I maintain that they're not getting any younger, and we're getting closer to them. Maybe that says more about the Bills than about the Patriots, but next year, we finish ahead of them.

I'm not ready to say I'm wrong about us making the playoffs. The 5 seeded colts are 3 games ahead of us with 7 to go. We play Miami this week, they play the Patriots. Then, we play the Colts the following week. Following that, the Colts fly to Detroit, and we come home to play Jacksonville. 3 winnable games for us, 3 losable games for them. This season could look totally different in a few weeks, so I'll still be watching, and you should too.

Finally, and what I really wanted to get to, I was wrong about Fitzpatrick. All season I was beating the drum that Thigpen should take over, or better yet, Jackson. Point blank, fitzy has been getting it done lately. We have the 32nd ranked defense in the league: In 4 of our losses this year, we scored 28, 28, 34 and 31 points. The TWENTY SEVENTH ranked defense in the league allows 27.6 points a game. Just that little of a jump, from 32nd to 27th ranked defense could result in 4 more wins. Basically, Fitz is being handicapped by how bad our defense is. The top 10 defenses in the league all allow under 21 points a game, which would get us another "win." So having a top 10 defense, with the offense we have now, would be good for % more wins, or a 8-1 record.

*Disclaimer: I know there a lot of "what-ifs" in the scenario I just created, but it's for the sake of discussion.

The point to all of this: Keep Gailey-he's doing just fine. Keep Fitz-he can win if our D plays better. Fire Wanny, draft linebackers, get a SOLID #2 wideout, and... I cant believe I'm about to say this... but give Fitz one more year :(

Do you want my address now? I'm spending that $50 on a steak.

I have gone back and forth with myself all day.

Is fitz the answer? Is fitz good enough to maybe not be the answer, but at least not be the question for the next 3 years? Is fitz terrible?

I have no idea. I just dont know.

When he drops back to pass, I'm terrified.

But as I said earlier, we've scored 28, 28, 31, and 34 in 4 losses this year. those are WINNING point totals. They absolutely are. You can hate on fitz all you want (i do, my wife does, every bills fan does,) but you score that many points, you should win AT LEAST 3 out of 4 of those games, which would put us at 6-3 and tied for first in the east.

We have literally the worst defense in the league--that has to be on Wannstedt.

So how about I just sum up my thoughts like this: if going into next year, we drafted a linebacker in the first round, and hired a RESPECTED defensive coordinator, i would have faith going into the season that we could win enough games to win the division. I really would. Maybe thats crazy, but consider me a kool aid drinker.

OK, now in the time it took me to write this post, I flip flopped in my mind again. Is fitzpatrick able to put up points and be succesful because he is

a) playing behind a dominant offensive line

b) has 2 all world backs

and c) plays for a head coach who loves to throw the ball around the yard.

meaning, could ANY above average quarterback come in here and have success? would it not behoove us to then shoot for the stars, and try to get a true franchise qb in round 1, and just assume that a new defensive coordinator will correct a lot of the defensive woes, meaning we dont need to draft defense for the first 3 rounds?

Early in the season, Fitzpatrick looked horribly. He was a big problem no doubt about it. While I am encouraged by the past couple of games, I am worried he could regress again. We definitely need to bring in an elite prospect next year at QB. Hell, if Fitz plays well for two or three years, then all the better. We can develop the prospect under him. I would be surprised if Fitz proves to be a consistently good QB at this point though.

I do have a some concerns on defense. Our linebackers seem to be suspect, though I will not call them busts yet. Our cornerbacks seem to be suspect despite having two early first round picks (McKelvin & Gilmore) as well as a very early 2nd rounder (A. Williams). Couple this with the lack of pressure by the front four and we're in a defensive quandary. My only hope is that the defensive coaching is what is lacking. I pray that is what it is because then it is fixable in one year.

Considering all these factors, the likelihood of your optimistic outlook becoming real isn't good IMO. Hopefully, that's wrong though.

I have gone back and forth with myself all day.

Is fitz the answer? Is fitz good enough to maybe not be the answer, but at least not be the question for the next 3 years? Is fitz terrible?

I have no idea. I just dont know.

When he drops back to pass, I'm terrified.

But as I said earlier, we've scored 28, 28, 31, and 34 in 4 losses this year. those are WINNING point totals. They absolutely are. You can hate on fitz all you want (i do, my wife does, every bills fan does,) but you score that many points, you should win AT LEAST 3 out of 4 of those games, which would put us at 6-3 and tied for first in the east.

We have literally the worst defense in the league--that has to be on Wannstedt.

So how about I just sum up my thoughts like this: if going into next year, we drafted a linebacker in the first round, and hired a RESPECTED defensive coordinator, i would have faith going into the season that we could win enough games to win the division. I really would. Maybe thats crazy, but consider me a kool aid drinker.

OK, now in the time it took me to write this post, I flip flopped in my mind again. Is fitzpatrick able to put up points and be succesful because he is

a) playing behind a dominant offensive line

b) has 2 all world backs

and c) plays for a head coach who loves to throw the ball around the yard.

meaning, could ANY above average quarterback come in here and have success? would it not behoove us to then shoot for the stars, and try to get a true franchise qb in round 1, and just assume that a new defensive coordinator will correct a lot of the defensive woes, meaning we dont need to draft defense for the first 3 rounds?

Exactly. Lets say we only win 2 out of those 4 (b/c as people here like to say - fitz sucks). We'd still be 5-4 and looking good right now.

No one here is saying Fitz is a top 10 QB, but the offense ranks 15th in yds/game and 17th in pts/game; Fitz ranks 8th in TD passes.

The defense ranks second to last in yds/game and dead last in points per game, giving up 31.7 a game. The disparity couldn't be clearer.

We need significant help at LB and we still need help at DB.

Edited by bobobonators

extremely young and extremely bad. we hung 31 on them yesterday.

in terms of them getting "old," i am referring to one player, and one player only. we all know who that is. it is no coincidence that every year after he hit 30, they have looked more and more vulnerable. HE is not getting any younger, and they are not going to make some amazing leap forward next year. just looking at the conference standings, you can see the conference separating-and the patriots are no longer one of the 2 best teams in the conference, like they have been for the past 10 years. the gap between us keeps closing. our last 4 games against the patriots have been good games, and we could have won all of them. finally, the gap is closing. that's all im saying. there was no catching the patriots for a decade, now its possible.

Since Brady hit 30, he has played in 2 SBs and had 4 of his 5 best seasons.

You thought our first game against NE was a "good game" that we "could have won"?

Your threads are getting more detatched from reality. We lost by 24 points after leading by 14. They scored 6 straight TDs in the second half.

What is your goal here?

Fitz has been up and down like this his whole career.

He has had plenty of time to prove that he can be consistent in the NFL. It's never going to happen.

Over 16 games, he may play like a Pro Bowler for 3-4 games. But he will also have 5-6 games that he is a liability and costs us games with his bad decisions.

It's time to move on.

I hate to say and I'm an optimist when it comes to the Bills (atleast Mondays thru Saturdays) but the playoffs are gone..

I do it all the time Bro........If the Bills win their last 6 games and these teams lose 5 out of the last 6 we have a chance..but wait i'm not sure about the tiebreakers...and so on.

On another Note Fitz has been playing well but has proven he is not a winner.. I have a Fitz jersey and I really wanted him to be the one for us but that ship is sailing away with a 500hp twin turbo engine strappd to the back of it. The bottom line is that he can play in the NFL. But he will never be eilte and has too many limitations to his game to become a real threat to opposing teams.

The day shall be ours my friends.... and how glorious it will be.... GO BILLS!!

quite frankly, b/c their QB is Tom Brady. The "Tom Brady does it, why can't Fitz" argument is absurd.

So is the "Fitz is good enough - our defense needs to stop Tom Brady argument". Listen to yourself, you're saying it.

It's Tom freaking Brady, he beats defenses, all of them, not just ours. To beat them he has to retire or we have to try and find a good enough QB to go up against that caliber of QB.

What is your goal here?

i dont know buddy, but your goal should always be to use protection when you hang out with brady.

you are the typical bills fan that is terrified of the patriots.

the league has moved on. that team hasnt been relevant since 07. they play in our division, so your fear is somewhat justified, but did you not watch yesterdays game?

san francisco - handled us.

the texans - handled us.

the patriots - aided by the officials, coming off a bye, barely beat us in their place.

the patriots are a lot closer to buffalo, than they are to the houstons, san frans, new yorks and chicagos of the league.

if you dont believe that - watch more football.

A blind squirrel finds a nut... I like Fitz and his grit but his accuracy and deep ball are below average. A franchise QB hits Jones in stride for a td instead of high and behind him causing him too be tackled before the goal line earlier in the game. Franchise Qbs hit Chandler for the game winner.

Fitz had one of his better games but a franchise QB is our #1 need.

....and a decent DC, the D is drowning this team.

:thumbdown: Jones made plays all day, Stevie looked good, Chandler made plays 3rd rate recieving core is a brutal statement IMO.

give the guys a lil love, Jones especially is much improved.

Jones looked great yesterday. He played better then SJ. I really think the receiving core is shaping up. If Nelson had not gone down, they would be even deeper and better. Chandler is solid. Good hands, big target, and finds a way to get open.

The Pats are definetly on the decline, no two ways around it. Brady and the boys know they do not have much time left.

Fitz had great numbers, again. But he Fitzed us in the end. Sorry i am an optimist but also a realist. You need a guy who makes the right throw at that point. I know Graham ran the wrong route, i get it. But personally he had CJ wide open. CJ probably does not score but he gets the first. I never like giving Brady the ball back with any time, not to mention they had at least 2 time outs.

I give the OP credit. And i also think you are right about next year and the next three games. Bills got to win the next three. Would make December more fun to watch!!

i dont know buddy, but your goal should always be to use protection when you hang out with brady.

you are the typical bills fan that is terrified of the patriots.

the league has moved on. that team hasnt been relevant since 07. they play in our division, so your fear is somewhat justified, but did you not watch yesterdays game?

san francisco - handled us.

the texans - handled us.

the patriots - aided by the officials, coming off a bye, barely beat us in their place.

the patriots are a lot closer to buffalo, than they are to the houstons, san frans, new yorks and chicagos of the league.

if you dont believe that - watch more football.

Do you know who was in the Super Bowl Last year?

However bad the Bills are, Chan has figured out how to play the Pats. How to put up points and we are keeping it close generally. I know there have been some bad moments but it has taken colossal defensive break downs for the Pats to beat us under Gailey. Pats at home or on the road is not the walk in the park it has been for them in the past.

That said he can't seem to beat the Jets

He can't beat anyone within the division. He is has TWO division wins as our head coach. We beat Miami in 2010, and New England last year. His divisional record as our coach so far is 2-13. That is outright pathetic.

Chan's road record as our coach is 5-17.

This team won't smell the post season until they learn how to win divisional games and on the road.

Edited by Azucho98

So is the "Fitz is good enough - our defense needs to stop Tom Brady argument". Listen to yourself, you're saying it.

It's Tom freaking Brady, he beats defenses, all of them, not just ours. To beat them he has to retire or we have to try and find a good enough QB to go up against that caliber of QB.

lol..no one is saying the defense has to keep Brady to 10 points...but how about in the 20's? 30? Other teams do it. Heaven knows we've spent enough money on the defensive side..I don't think it's asking too much to keep them under 30.

Edited by bobobonators