From Tim Graham chat: Mario owns the locker room

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Mario is the only player with a fridge in his locker. he has been known to crank up the volume on his stereo on Thursdays when the locker room is open to reporters. George Wilson, who shares a locker next to Mario, last week asked Mario to turn down the volume. He wasn't angry, and the two then joked around before George answered a few questions I asked.

Mario is the first and only Bills player to my knowledge who has been allowed to make himself available to Buffalo reporters twice a week (on Wednesday and following a game). T.O. did not have this deal, and neither has any other player to my knowledge in Buffalo. And if they did have this deal, it was never enforced because I've approached all of the team's high-profile players on any given day of the week when I had a question to ask them.

This is what I know, and what I've encountered. Not sure how I'm twisting this.

jw

In my opinion, social intelligence is an underrated quality in truly great people. An intelligent man takes his $100 million, shoves it away (metaphorically) and blends in with the crowd. There are men on this team permanently risking their health for 1-2 seasons of $300,000 or so.

In my opinion, social intelligence is an underrated quality in truly great people. An intelligent man takes his $100 million, shoves it away (metaphorically) and blends in with the crowd. There are men on this team permanently risking their health for 1-2 seasons of $300,000 or so.

I've heard some men shove their $100 million inside the refrigerator in their locker.

GREAT point though. As my up thead alludes to, MW should be all about ingratiating himself. I just think he's one of those prickly types that just isn't very sociable.

GO BILLS!!!

A week or so ago, I heard Paul Hamilton (whom I usually like) complaining that Mario has a refrigerator by his locker where he keeps bottles of water. Who cares? Why is that such a big deal. I have a small refrigerator from Costco in my office. No big deal.

The bigger deal (not for me but for the media) is that he is only made available to them twice a week. As a fan, I don't care about that either. In fact, I understand why he would not want to have to do interviews every day. Yet, when I heard about this a few weeks back, I had a feeling that the media would not like it. In the end, I don't care.

What I care about is his and the team's performance on the field. In the few games so far, we certainly are not getting the return on our investment that we thought we would get from him or Anderson. I really hope that they both start playing up to their contracts. That is what I care about. I am not ready to "throw dirt on him" (as Chan would say). Nevertheless, I am looking forward to the game when he and our defensive line play the way we hoped that they would.

Edited by Peter

A week or so ago, I heard Paul Hamilton (whom I usually like) complaining that Mario has a refrigerator by his locker where he keeps bottles of water. Who cares? Why is that such a big deal. I have a small refrigerator from Costco in my office. No big deal.

The bigger deal (not for me but for the media) is that he is only made available to them twice a week. As a fan, I don't care about that either. In fact, I understand why he would not want to have to do interviews every day. Yet, when I heard about this a few weeks back, I had a feeling that the media would not like it. In the end, I don't care.

What I care about is his and the team's performance on the field. In the few games so far, we certainly are not getting the return on our investment that we thought we would get from him or Anderson. I really hope that they both start playing up to their contracts. That is what I care about. I am not ready to "throw dirt on him" (as Chan would say). Nevertheless, I am looking forward to the game when he and our defensive line play the way we hoped that they would.

and that's all any fan should care about. :thumbsup:

If you've ever been in the locker room you know the community fridges are about 30 ft from any given locker at most....and fully stocked with all goods any athlete needs....

Also, one of his teammates posted a twitter pic of mario's locker with the fridge in it...making fun of him...but who knows what the whispers amongst the players were when this went down....

I'm so sick of the patty cake moves by mario with his hands when the ball is snapped....I sat in a former players' box for last week's game that played with bruce...said bruce had his assignments but his instinct was still to always go after the ball...mario needs to start bull rushing more...and start using his instincts more

Don't underestimate the power of "How come he gets a fridge and I don't <_<".

Somebody made a Barry Bonds reference, which seems accurate. The difference was Bonds was the best player in the damn game. If Mario's not performing on the field, he certainly shouldn't be acting like he's superior off it.

The only thing that is truly unrefutable......

He ISNT playing up to his contract right now.....he may do so in the future so I am not concerned yet....but right now he isnt living up to it.

Teams should be PETRIFIED of him beating them so much that it frees up other guys on that line......and that is not happening.

In the end. I don't give a F$&K what he does as long as he's not breaking any laws (traffic laws not included) and sacking the QB. Now he is underperforming right now. Is that because he's now in coast mode? Is it his injury? Is it the playcalling/schemes of Wanny? I really have Bo idea. But right now, after a 2nd half blowout where the Pats scored more points in 1-2 quarters than ever before, I'm going with Wanny. IMO he's bad at his job and that's being nice. It's really hard to tell what the biggest fault is right now. Time will tell.

Exactly. OMG, he has a fridge and plays music? Would any give 2 craps if we had the best defense in the league?

That said, I do think some of the veteran guys (Wilson, Kyle Williams, Barnett) need to challenge his play on the field. Unlike most fans, I don't switch my opinion 4 games into a season. I'm very happy we got Mario because elite pass rushers are the 2nd hardest players to find. Dude just needs to flat out improve play on the field. But this stuff is so unimportant to me. I mean Farve skipped training camp every year and I'm sure the Vikes didn't care when he had them an OT away from the SB.

Kind of sounds like the arrogance and special treatment Barry Bonds used to get in San Fran. I also read where there are already eyes rolling in the lockerroom from his teammates too. That can't be a good thing.

Except, Barry Bonds hit home runs.

He was juiced, of course, but....

The problem is everyone forgets that few, very few, FAs come in and immediately make an impact on their team. Very few. Its the prime reason why teams that make tons of big FA off season moves never do well the following year, despite all the hype. Football is a team game. It takes the team to win, not just one guy. Period.

Getting a new DC, 2 new DEs, a rookie CB, switching schemes, cutting other players... anyone with any knowledge of the game had to know that this year's success on the defensive side would be determined by how fast all those new pieces come together and by how healthy they stay. And anyone that thougt all the pieces would be gelled in week 1 was delusional.

So far they've been reasonable healthy. Unfortunately, we're a quarter of the way in and they still have alot of congealing to do.

Color me surprised.

This may well end up being the biggest mistake in Bills history. Which, is completely the opposite of my feelings when the signing was announced. :(

Its pretty crazy how this board has swung from hysteria to outrage towards Mario. However Mario has brought all this on himself with his pathetic on field performance.

Its pretty crazy how this board has swung from hysteria to outrage towards Mario. However Mario has brought all this on himself with his pathetic on field performance.

Agreed he's sucked but let's be honest. Fans are completely irrational. I joked when they got him that fans would want to cut him if he didn't get a sack the 1st game. And guess what? We had those threads. Bottomline, he may very well be a bust. But almost every fan wanted him. And to give up on him after 4 games is almsot as pathetic as his play on the field. The Bills have missed the playoffs 12 years but this is still Mario's 1st year here. A lot of frustration with a franchise is being placed on a guy who is a quarter through his 1st season.