Spiller Fumble before the Half

cage

While that event didn't factor into the margin of victory, I felt that Gailey made an enormous strategic blunder on that drive. They were down inside the 5 and looking to run it down the Pats throat to finish the half up 21-7. Running Spiller up the gut had catastrophe written all over it. It was a spot where they should have brought Tashard Choice and not put it in the hands of the guy with the questionable shoulder. They put in Spiller in a bad situation and paid the price.

Who knows how it might have played out but If they had scored there, then 27-7 in the 3rd quarter might be a different game... poor coaching by Gailey.

Well it was just a great coaching decision. In a situation where you are running the ball up the middle with the intent to overpower the defense, choose the one running back of three available, the smallest back with a bum shoulder. That's the back you want running up the gut of the defense.

That fumble was a huge back breaker and momentum turner, it turned the game IMO.

The Bills stopped the Pats* on the first drive of the 2nd half, and then scored a TD to go up, 21-7. The fumble obviously cost the team points, but it didn't shift the momentum.

I agree. This was a lousy playcall for the personnel in the game. Spiller vs Wilfork is not a good matchup.

And if Fitz threw 3 times and we wound up with a FG, we'd all be saying why didn't we run Spiller. Everyone knows what we shouldn't have done after the fact.

Remember all the threads demanding Chan stick with the run? Pick a side.

PTR

And if Fitz threw 3 times and we wound up with a FG, we'd all be saying why didn't we run Spiller. Everyone knows what we shouldn't have done after the fact.

PTR

Did you read what he said? Sending Spiller into the middle with a bum shoulder was a poor coaching decision. I would have taken Choice or Jackson over Spiller if that's the play call.

PTR

Spiller only works on off tackle runs and draw plays. He isn't a power runner. I have no problem running the ball down there, in fact I wanted them to. My problem is the type of run not matching the personnel. Want to do a power run inside? Send McIntyre and Jackson out there, not Jones and Spiller. (I think it was Jones)

Edited by Dorkington

PTR

Not saying I'm smart enough to coach an NFL team, but I was saying it to my sons as they got inside the 10 and saw that Spiller was on the field... yeah, I'm bitter!

Very bad coaching decision. I thought a screen pass to Spiller on 2-10 was the call to make but they still made the third down conversion. After that it should have been Freddie or Choice over the left side three times in a row. The worst outcome should have been a FG.

Exactly!

Edited by cage

I wouldn't give Choice a goal line carry unless either I absolutely had to, or the game was decided. Jackson, aside from his first carry of the game, did not run the ball well

His sideline catch was great though. And, Fitz made a great throw. Fred looked a bit slow today. Like always though, he at least earns his money, and gives it his all. He'll be back to form soon.

We were simply out coached. First while having Freddy and CJ were big from an emotional standpoint, hHoice should have been the featured back today with both Freddy and CJ seeing only spot duty. The Bills should have planned on a power running game with Choice and McIntyre all day long. To air it out against the Pats and expect Fitz' arm to carry this team is a huge mistake. Wrong game plan for against the Pats, just plain stupid.

On defense Wanny should get the boot tomorrow. Not to have the defense prepared is absurd.

Stop the madness. If Spiller is supposed to be a starting caliber RB, than he sure as hell needs to be able to be in the lineup on the goal line.

Everyone in the game thread was crying about how Jackson should have had that carry. Well, what happened with FJ in the third quarter when he got hammered by the same linebacker??

PTR

Nah I was saying, "why isn't Freddie in there" the moment I saw Spiller in the game. It made no sense in that situation, even before the fumble.

I question running Spiller on that type of play into the line but the fumble had no bearing on anything in the game. Like on Fitz's INTs in the first half, NE* came away with no points, didn't do anything on their opening 2nd half possession, and we ended going ahead 21-7 anyway.

GO BILLS!!!

You may laugh... but if CJ doesn't fumble that ball; the Bills win that game!

At half time, the score would have been 21-7. Then coming out in the 3rd quarter and the Bills score first going up 28-7, the Patriots would have been forced to pass the ball more and give up on the run. The Bills would have not fallen behind and Fitz would have not been a reckless with the ball up by three touchdowns. The Bills would have marched out with a victory!

Anyone looking at that score would think it was another Patriot blowout of Buffalo. But for a majority of the game, the Bills were dominant. The game was much closer than a horrible 4th quarter shows.

You may laugh... but if CJ doesn't fumble that ball; the Bills win that game!

At half time, the score would have been 21-7. Then coming out in the 3rd quarter and the Bills score first going up 28-7, the Patriots would have been forced to pass the ball more and give up on the run. The Bills would have not fallen behind and Fitz would have not been a reckless with the ball up by three touchdowns. The Bills would have marched out with a victory!

Anyone looking at that score would think it was another Patriot blowout of Buffalo. But for a majority of the game, the Bills were dominant. The game was much closer than a horrible 4th quarter shows.

I don't think we could have predicted what would have happened, but 28-7 certainly changes a lot in the game and many of your points are likely. It was just a strategically poor decision. Gailey had many chess pieces in that situation (Jackson, Choice,...) and he played the wrong one.

The hit that caused the fumble wasn't Wilfork, it was Spikes. He did the exact same helmet to helmet hit on Freddy in the second half and caused his fumble as well.

I agree that sending your smallest back who isn't 100% healthy (and not known for his short yardage work) in that situation didn't seem like the best move. I thought our short yardage backs are Freddy and Brad Smith on the direct snap. Or like some people have suggested, bring in fresh legged Choice who runs hard and low between the tackles.

Either way though, the Patriots once again made the halftime adjustments necessary to come out and kill us in the second half. The same as they did the last time we played them.

The Spiller fumble is meaningless in this game. We lost because we gave up 6 consecutive TD's and well over 500 yards.

Sometimes when your head coach is so offensive minded they need to count on the defensive coordinator more than they should. If your DC isn't solid then you get outmatched, out-adjusted in the second half.

That fumble was a huge back breaker and momentum turner, it turned the game IMO.

I got to agree that play was a very questionable call, as were several calls that had Spiller left in the backfield to BLOCK. Hello?

I got to disagree it was a huge back breaker or momentum turner.

We got a nice stop in the 2nd half followed by a solid TD drive to put us up 21-7. The momentum hadn't shifted then.

The shift came on the next 5 series, which were drives the length of the field for the Pats* followed by 3-and-outs for the Bills.

This is where we needed to see some coaching. If guys are getting gassed, substitute.

If running Fjax and Spiller isn't working, do what Green Bay did against the SeaSnakes after an inept 1st half: try some power running as we did against KC. Try to move the chains a few times and get the D some rest.

Just don't keep doing the same 'ol same 'ol and expecting it to work differently

The hit that caused the fumble wasn't Wilfork, it was Spikes. He did the exact same helmet to helmet hit on Freddy in the second half and caused his fumble as well.

I agree that sending your smallest back who isn't 100% healthy (and not known for his short yardage work) in that situation didn't seem like the best move. I thought our short yardage backs are Freddy and Brad Smith on the direct snap. Or like some people have suggested, bring in fresh legged Choice who runs hard and low between the tackles.

Either way though, the Patriots once again made the halftime adjustments necessary to come out and kill us in the second half. The same as they did the last time we played them.

The Spiller fumble is meaningless in this game. We lost because we gave up 6 consecutive TD's and well over 500 yards.

Sometimes when your head coach is so offensive minded they need to count on the defensive coordinator more than they should. If your DC isn't solid then you get outmatched, out-adjusted in the second half.

I agree with your point and acknowledged at the start of this thread that the fumble didn't factor into the margin of difference in the game. That play was one of way too many problems. I guess my simple point is the concern over Gailey making such a blatant strategic blunder at a point in the game like that. Very Jauron-like or should I say Mularkey-like,... no I think I mean Williams-like.

The Bills stopped the Pats* on the first drive of the 2nd half, and then scored a TD to go up, 21-7. The fumble obviously cost the team points, but it didn't shift the momentum.

Exactly. The main concern out of this game should be defense and only defense!!

You don't give a guy with an INJURED shoulder the ball on a goal line play!!! Where's the BEEF? Why not Corey McIntyre??

A 2 back set is not working, I don't think it ever has.

Fred or CJ as the main back is what works. Not this hot and cold crap

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

I thought there were two coaching blunders in the 1st half.

1. Punting on 4th&5 from NE's 40 on the 1st possession. You typically gain 20 yards of field position with a punt here. I'd rather sacrafice the 20 yards half the time and pick up the 1st down and a likely 3+ points the other half.

2. Throwing on 1st & 2nd down with 2:10 left in the 1st half when NE had 1 time out. This worked out only because Donald Jones made a nice catch in traffic on 3rd&10. But it's still terrible clock management either way. For Jeremy White and anyone who says that's nitpicking because they got the 1st down, fine, but I never want to hear you whine about blaming a coaching decision on the basis of it not working.

As for Spiller being in the game, whatever. Don't fumble.

I agree, it was obvious the game was totally different after that play. I screamed this over and over last season, and it happened again yesterday. Why in the F**K would Gailey put Spiller in to run up the gut anyway? He is too small, dances too much, and just plain isn't a power runner, and no negativity towards Spiller, he just isn't. You have Jackson, Choice, McIntyre,etc. all of which would be a better choice to pound it up the gut, but he insists on sending Spiller in to do it? I just don't get some of his decisions, and there are too many like that, which have kept me from believing he is the coach that is going to turn this mess around.

While that event didn't factor into the margin of victory, I felt that Gailey made an enormous strategic blunder on that drive. They were down inside the 5 and looking to run it down the Pats throat to finish the half up 21-7. Running Spiller up the gut had catastrophe written all over it. It was a spot where they should have brought Tashard Choice and not put it in the hands of the guy with the questionable shoulder. They put in Spiller in a bad situation and paid the price.

Who knows how it might have played out but If they had scored there, then 27-7 in the 3rd quarter might be a different game... poor coaching by Gailey.

I absolutely agree with you. Spiller is not Marshawn "beast mode" Lynch. He is not a jam it up the middle back. He is an open field speed runner. It was a bad call by Gailey.